GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm thinking of buying a used R35 around 09 model possibly 10 plate but I have no idea as to what to check other than the usual things like on any other car, so can any of clever chaps advise of any common faults or things to look out for... Much appriciated guys n gals

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi, Id have a search around on here. This question (understandably) gets asked an awful lot and has been answered an awful lot so you may not get a huge response.

Its all on here so have a good looksy.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Maybe Mods could create a thread as a sticky, and list the usual pitfalls to look out for in a 2nd hand GT-R. Would certainly help newbies.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
- Brakes (expensive)
- Tyres (expensive)
- service history
- salvaged e.g. written off.
- front windshield cracks (expensive)
- A/C functions

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
All the good changes are from march 2010 models and forward, with a 12 in the vin. Thats it why.
All the good changes?..............

At least you cleared that up anyway :rolleyes:

The reason to spend another 7-8k is for the good changes.... Ill sleep better tonight knowing about the good changes

Lots of 59 plate cars have the "good changes". You know, pre March 2010. Before the good changes appeared

·
Registered
382 Posts
All the good changes?..............

At least you cleared that up anyway :rolleyes:

The reason to spend another 7-8k is for the good changes.... Ill sleep better tonight knowing about the good changes

Lots of 59 plate cars have the "good changes". You know, pre March 2010. Before the good changes appeared
Lol so when I'm looking I just need to ask for one with the "good changes"

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sorry I'm still struggling here. I bought an 09, what goodies am I missing out on? Don't mention nav, didn't want, still don't want.

I am curious as to what the good changes are that are lacking in my life?

·
Registered
115 Posts
i have a 09 with litchfield stage 1 and My 12 gearbox upgrade ,runs like a dream with 30 k on the clock, mint paintwork, own plate etc at 40 k less than a new my12 !!!! fair enough going from a mk5 golf to a mk6 revised design /look and better materials, but 40k from 09 to My12 no brainer...do your homework and a 09 is everything you will ever need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can the changes on middlehurst webpage.

I did not want to copy them from there, so that is why I wrote the "good" changes. Maybe I should have written "what I think is important improvements" instead. And you should be sure to get those, if you find a car from march 2010 and forward.

·
R35 Section manager
10,922 Posts
Sorry I'm still struggling here. I bought an 09, what goodies am I missing out on? Don't mention nav, didn't want, still don't want.

I am curious as to what the good changes are that are lacking in my life?

Found this

After completely changing the paradigm of supercar design and performance in its first year of availability in North America, the affordable, “anyone, anytime, anywhere” Nissan GT-R returns for its sophomore year with a revised 2010 model featuring a number of minor updates – including five additional horsepower, new suspension, revised wheel finishes and standard front seat-mounted and roof-mounted curtain side impact air bags.

In addition to the change in output, which rises from 480 to 485hp, the significant change is the introduction of a new Transmission Control Module (TCM) program for the GT-R’s 6-speed dual-clutch transmission. The changes have been well documented and have come as a reaction to the monumental gearbox failures experienced by some customers using the launch control system on the original spec GT-R. Essentially, the changes are designed to optimize clutch engagement for improved drivability and improve vehicle acceleration with the car’s traction control system switched on.

Other changes to the car include an updated braking system with more rigid brake lines and brake calipers with both Nissan and Brembo labeling. The suspension also gets retuned with redesigned Bilstein shocks featuring a new valve body design and revised spring and damper rates.

So its much the same car and fairly cheap to add the same parts to a 2009 model.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Found this

After completely changing the paradigm of supercar design and performance in its first year of availability in North America, the affordable, “anyone, anytime, anywhere” Nissan GT-R returns for its sophomore year with a revised 2010 model featuring a number of minor updates – including five additional horsepower, new suspension, revised wheel finishes and standard front seat-mounted and roof-mounted curtain side impact air bags.

In addition to the change in output, which rises from 480 to 485hp, the significant change is the introduction of a new Transmission Control Module (TCM) program for the GT-R’s 6-speed dual-clutch transmission. The changes have been well documented and have come as a reaction to the monumental gearbox failures experienced by some customers using the launch control system on the original spec GT-R. Essentially, the changes are designed to optimize clutch engagement for improved drivability and improve vehicle acceleration with the car’s traction control system switched on.

Other changes to the car include an updated braking system with more rigid brake lines and brake calipers with both Nissan and Brembo labeling. The suspension also gets retuned with redesigned Bilstein shocks featuring a new valve body design and revised spring and damper rates.

So its much the same car and fairly cheap to add the same parts to a 2009 model.
Cool thanks that makes the decision easier :) 09/59 it is then. It's going straight to litchfields for stage 1 or 2 and software upgrade once I get it anyway :)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
look for cracks on the lsd/transmission case on early cars. have dealer see its flicker data to see if it was abused or launched many times. lc2 took care of most of the issues with earlier cars and launching but if its been in excess you may or may not want to take a chance.
all gtrs could have an issue with the seal's, sensors or circlips etc...keep that in mind.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also check that the instrument cluster lights up fully. The only fix on offer is a new cluster which is a £1,200+ item. I needed it done on my 09 non-nav premium but was fixed under warranty.
Excessive "clicking" from front wheels under full lock may also occur but can be easily fixed by a good clean of the back of the wheels and a little copper grease between the wheel and the hub.
Rear brake pads can rattle at low speed but can be also easily fixed with a little tweaking to the retaining clips.
Other than these niggles I've been spared any major issues on my 30k mile 2009 so far.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts