Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Buy new turbos

Votes: 20 71.4%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my stock turbos has gone on my R32 GTR. The exhaust spindle has snapped off.

Do I just replace it with another stock turbo, get them rebuilt or buy new ones?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
my vote is for some nice 2860's like for like it could happen again i guess it depends on where you want to go with your car though if you want to keep it standardish just get some steel internal ones

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
What you would be right in thinking is that any rebuilt turbo's have steel internals, I don't think any are ceramic. So if you have only one rebuilt you will have a mix! It's also possible given that both turbo's have seen a similar life that having had one go the other may not be far behind. So would you want to revisit the job or just get both re-furbished?

The consideration is how much it would cost to have both rebuilt (AET are pretty good) as averse to replacement with new. If you go new, do you want to go bigger? Which also means maybe new injectors, re-map, etc. etc. etc. If you go steel, standard you can at least turn the boost up a bit.

Pay your money, take your choice.

DaveG

·
Registered
158 Posts
if you rebuild the standard turbo's you can safely run more boost with some other bits. unless you have the money to just go big turbo. either way... more power!

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Get GT-SS or similar; spool as near as dammit the same as standard, everything else is a win. :D

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what are the equivalent Garrett turbos to GT-SS's and how much money are we talking here. I've done a search on Turbos and it's all very confusing :(

I have been quoted £750 to have mine rebuilt.

Cheers
Vin

·
Registered
798 Posts
I got my 2860-5's for £1200 delivered brand new
me 2!

Vintoni..if your going for the gt-ss size you need the gt2860-9s rated 600ps
The n1s are the 2860-7s..around 500ps i think
The 2530s are the 2860-5s..rated 640ps

On the other hand i have a standard t25 in my garage at home if you want it,wont charge you much..grand condition.Exhaust wheel is still on it..unlike the 2nd turbo sitting next to it !

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers for the info guys. I'm considering some R34 turbos now (second hand) as I'm on a tight budget.

·
Registered
206 Posts
me 2!

Vintoni..if your going for the gt-ss size you need the gt2860-9s rated 600ps
The n1s are the 2860-7s..around 500ps i think
The 2530s are the 2860-5s..rated 640ps

On the other hand i have a standard t25 in my garage at home if you want it,wont charge you much..grand condition.Exhaust wheel is still on it..unlike the 2nd turbo sitting next to it !
Are the -7 and -9 ratings the wrong way round? I thought it was the -7's rated at 600ps for a pair :nervous:

Edit: Never mind :D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I got my 2860-5's for £1200 delivered brand new
how long ago was this:D, that is very cheap and turbos have gone up a bit lately. im just curious.

kev:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Cant remember exact date but it was this year. Maybe feb or march time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not to repeat myself from the thread "stock turbos blown at 0.9"

Chuck the stock units and get some dash 5's. The boost comes on only 500 - 800 rpm later and just keeps coming. You'll like them. If you do the work yourself, just make sure you clean the oil lines and use aluminum crush washers (AN) instead of the copper washers on the banjo fittings at the turbo's. They have more crush and seal better. Don't crack the oil line like I did on the rear turbo. Only to discover it after the whole job was completed and then have to take the whole thing out again. That side of the engine is Heinous, evil, inhuman to work on. Did I mention not to drop your 1/4 inch socket down the turbine port while doing up the manifold nuts. oooops take it all apart again. Its a week later and 100 hours of labour. Pay someone to do it and let them bleed. They will earn thier money that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts