GTR Forum banner

What to do with 1000bhp engine?

2K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  bkvj 
I would be tempted to buy a new "crate" N1 engine/good 2ndhand 6sp Getrag and do a straight sale on the monster lump/sequential box.
Add a pair of GT-SS turbos for a sweet driving 500hp.

1000bhp said:
Thanks chaps.

The car was built by Top Fuel in Japan all in one go for a Brazillian guy. He did less than a 1000 miles in it, then I bought it off him. It cost a hell of a lot but when you see the car in the flesh I am sure you would think it's worth it.

I think what I need is a bit more drivability (if you get my drift). The car is bloody fast, over 200mph and high 9's,but I fancy doing a few more miles in it and at this spec it would be a waste.

Cam, your idea sounds very good. Do you know how much for a new N1 engine and do you have a gearbox still?

Thanks
Hi Alex,
I am not 100% on the cost of a crate motor tbh. I dont have my Getrag but there are a couple flaoting about round the 1500-2000 mark. I think a couple of guys who have gone sequential recently have theirs for sale. Alternatively maybe selling the box on a p/ex basis to a 34 owner?

The Admiral said:
It will probably be cheapest & easiest to sell the whole car and get a new one of the spec you want...

Awesome car :D

Rog
as Alex said
"I would like to keep the car as it has only done 18,000 miles from new and is without a doubt the cleanest R33 you will ever see. And it is a late model."

1000bhp said:
I have thought about selling, but I would never find an R33 in the same nick. So if I did I would buy another R34.

Just out of intrest Cam what do you think the gearbox is worth?
Depends if its a series 1 or 2 OS88.
4k+ (series1) to 5.25k (series2) imo and 6k if for a 34 (a 34 needs a 33 transfer/front prop/front section of rear prop to make it fit).

1000bhp said:
After giving this some thought I think the best options are this.

1) Sell the car as a whole and buy another R34

2) Sell the gearbox and put a 5 Speed one in with OS gearkit.

3) As well as "2" sell the turbo set-up complete and replace for a T51/T04Z

4) Stop whinging and drive it!

Your thoughts as always appreciated
Option 1 *IF* you can source a 34 as nice :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.