GTR Forum banner

What to do with 1000bhp engine?

2K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  bkvj 
#1 ·
In my fast GTR I have a Step 3 2.8 HKS engine with every concievable upgrade all carried out by Top Fuel in Japan.

It runs Apexi turbos, HKS F-Con V Pro, Top Fuel inlet plenum ect. I am sure you get the idea. It made 992.5ps @ 2.1 bar.

Also it has a OS Six speed box and OS diffs.

I am now a bit bored of it and wish to go back to a standard or stage set-up. I would like to keep the car as it has only done 18,000 miles from new and is without a doubt the cleanest R33 you will ever see. And it is a late model.

I have seen people offer an exchange (plus cash of course) for a standard setup. Do you think this is viable?

It's that or I just sell the gearbox and try it with a 5 speeder, I just can't decide!

For any guys thinking of a brake upgrade I have just fitted a KAD 6 pot and 360mm set-up. They work a treat!

See less See more
#4 ·
Yup i have a Micra I'd swap for it

#6 ·
Strange way of putting it 'a bit bored'!! (i'm envious:) ) I assume you mean that at this power level the car is just too highly strung to drive unless it's at 10/10ths, did you gradually build up to this power level or was it in one hit? Curious to know at what point in the power game this becomes a problem, my own car is running around the 600BHP mark (2.8 HKS) and i'm pushing to get to 700, is this a step to far? AS to what to do with your car, short of turning it into an out and out drag top speed machine i reckon COSSYCAM's suggestion is a good one, Gary at GT ART told me the GETRAG gearbox if the changes arn't rushed will take an enormous amount of stick, as an alternative get a lower map sorted in your present engine, save all the costs of changing and put the GETRAG in. Your car looks stunning by the way:clap:

#7 ·
Thanks chaps.

The car was built by Top Fuel in Japan all in one go for a Brazillian guy. He did less than a 1000 miles in it, then I bought it off him. It cost a hell of a lot but when you see the car in the flesh I am sure you would think it's worth it.

I think what I need is a bit more drivability (if you get my drift). The car is bloody fast, over 200mph and high 9's,but I fancy doing a few more miles in it and at this spec it would be a waste.

Cam, your idea sounds very good. Do you know how much for a new N1 engine and do you have a gearbox still?

Thanks

#10 ·
1000bhp said:
Thanks chaps.

The car was built by Top Fuel in Japan all in one go for a Brazillian guy. He did less than a 1000 miles in it, then I bought it off him. It cost a hell of a lot but when you see the car in the flesh I am sure you would think it's worth it.

I think what I need is a bit more drivability (if you get my drift). The car is bloody fast, over 200mph and high 9's,but I fancy doing a few more miles in it and at this spec it would be a waste.

Cam, your idea sounds very good. Do you know how much for a new N1 engine and do you have a gearbox still?

Thanks
Hi Alex,
I am not 100% on the cost of a crate motor tbh. I dont have my Getrag but there are a couple flaoting about round the 1500-2000 mark. I think a couple of guys who have gone sequential recently have theirs for sale. Alternatively maybe selling the box on a p/ex basis to a 34 owner?

#11 ·
It will probably be cheapest & easiest to sell the whole car and get a new one of the spec you want...

Awesome car :D

Rog

#16 ·
1000bhp said:
I have thought about selling, but I would never find an R33 in the same nick. So if I did I would buy another R34.

Just out of intrest Cam what do you think the gearbox is worth?
Depends if its a series 1 or 2 OS88.
4k+ (series1) to 5.25k (series2) imo and 6k if for a 34 (a 34 needs a 33 transfer/front prop/front section of rear prop to make it fit).

#22 ·
After giving this some thought I think the best options are this.

1) Sell the car as a whole and buy another R34

2) Sell the gearbox and put a 5 Speed one in with OS gearkit.

3) As well as "2" sell the turbo set-up complete and replace for a T51/T04Z

4) Stop whinging and drive it!

Your thoughts as always appreciated

#23 ·
1000bhp said:
After giving this some thought I think the best options are this.

1) Sell the car as a whole and buy another R34

2) Sell the gearbox and put a 5 Speed one in with OS gearkit.

3) As well as "2" sell the turbo set-up complete and replace for a T51/T04Z

4) Stop whinging and drive it!

Your thoughts as always appreciated
Option 1 *IF* you can source a 34 as nice :thumbsup:

#24 ·
Number 4 sounds good to me - I think you have a Very special car there and will miss it if you sell her :(

I also think she is such an Awesome car because of all the parts fitted as a complete package, so changing them will potentially decrease her appeal IMO...

Keep her for special occasions and buy a stage I GTR32 for £8k as a runabout ;)

Good luck whatever you choose!

Cheers :)

Rog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.