GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a lot of hassle finding a nice R33 GTR...

Apart from the fact that everyone seems to want R33's at the moment, when I actually see a car for sale I generally expect it to be at least roughly what the advertiser has described. With skylines this doesn't seem to be true. I've looked at one car advertised as a 96 which was actually a 95 - the V5 says 95 so why describe it as 1996??? I looked at another where the dealer insisted it was a V Spec (it wasn't!) with over 500bhp, yet running standard turbos apparently :rolleyes:. Another where the car was listed in Autotrader @ £20k, upon calling the owner says there is a mistake with ad and it should be £24.5k :confused:

And finally to top it all off this week a lovely sounding car, apparently a 1998 with leather, turns out to be 1995 without leather and 11k more than advertised. I've never had this much trouble finding a car before, did everyone else have similar experiences trying to find one? Its getting quite frustrating, I've looked at a few cars now and still not found what I actually want available for me to buy!

Jon

·
Registered
248 Posts
Am fearing the same if my currently lined up car doesn't come off m8. know there are some beauties out there around the 25k mark, but if the car I want now turns out to be what I hope it is then sweet if not, then I do fear the same and may look to Japan.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
R33 for sale

PolarB.
I did PM you last week and I can assure my car is well and truly genuine as I described to you. OK it has slightly more miles on it but there were motorway miles as owned by 2 company bI am thinking of selling the car for a new project, still skyline related.
Here is the spec:
Blue Dec S plate R33 Vspec UK car. 50 k miles.
full middle Hurst history and uk supplied.
Stage 1 kit: HKS dual dragger exhaust, de cat pipe, Trust front pipes,
blitz air filters
Middlehurst 1 bar chip plus whatever else they done.
Recent Cam belt change at Abbey.
Recent clutch change at Middlehurst (at 43K)
Only just lowered at Abbey with Trust Dowmax springs (still have old vspec springs)
Cat 1 alarm and Immobiliser; recent Tracker Monitor fitted (comes with car)
Spare HKS panel filter
Kenwood Mask stereo with 10 disc changer.

Plus anything else I may have missed.
No expense spared by current and previous owners (2 x company directors)

Paid 19.5 k for it and would be looking for same.

Let me know and all will vouch for a true and honest car. Not many of the UK ones left and these are the ones you want to get hold of.

Nick

·
Registered
720 Posts
I looked for 12 months and found no suitable UK cars "in this area". They where either to highly priced, or been trashed around all their life. So ended up taking a gamble and found a good low mileage car in Japan. I payed an agent to do all the checks on the car in Japan, to see if it was stolen, crashed etc. Soon as it all come back all clear I went for it. Took about 14 weeks from finding it, to getting it into the UK. The only let down was the [email protected] that decided to key it all round during the shipping!. But other then that I'm a happy chappy and saved a couple of grand.

Jason.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I don't know, I seem to have found the perfect car without much trouble. :D :D

Will know for sure on Thursday though. :D

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I bought the 2nd Skyline I looked at.

In retrospect I'm thankful I didn't buy the first - I put a deposit on it and when I actually went down to see it, one of the first things they told me was that they were going to fit some new brake pads, and that they had to fit a new windscreen because of a previous prospective buyer.

Although at that stage I didn't know an awful lot about Skylines, I did fortunately visit a few sites to find out tell-tale signs to look for (V-spec LSD fins, etc). When I was looking around the car one of the sales blokes (it was a dealership) told me that the exhaust cost £5000, and when I went out for a test drive with one of the other sales blokes, he told me the exhaust cost £3000. Obviously they were just completely making figures up. It had done 48,000+ miles already as well, and whilst the history/HPI etc all cleared out, I didn't place much value on their "warranty" and walked away.

Best decision I ever made in my life - especially as one of my biggest failings is that once I've set my heart on something, I persue it at the behest of all logic and reason.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I bought the 4th one I saw. Looked at Guys (now Durzels) and liked it, but found an even better one the same weekend.

Durzel was the car you are talking about Midnight Purple with a silver Nismo gear knob (scuse the language)? Went like a bat out of hell, but a bit untidy.

The one I bought and Guys were the only 2 where I got comfortable about the history of the car.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Fred said:
I bought the 4th one I saw. Looked at Guys (now Durzels) and liked it, but found an even better one the same weekend.

Durzel was the car you are talking about Midnight Purple with a silver Nismo gear knob (scuse the language)? Went like a bat out of hell, but a bit untidy.

The one I bought and Guys were the only 2 where I got comfortable about the history of the car.
How dare you! :p "Even better one" indeed. You mean to say my R33 isn't the bestest in the World?! :p

Yes, the one I went to see was midnight purple with a silver Nismo gear knob. I wasn't happy with anything the sales people were saying to me. The history did appear to check out, so to all intents and purposes the car was probably sound - but it was generally untidy. I wasn't really happy with the mileage either. The garage claimed it had 380bhp, which is about the only thing I think they said with any authority - because it did go like the proverbial brown stuff off of a garden implement.

I actually swore to myself that I would never buy it privately (especially being a Japanese import), and every one of my friends I spoke to warned me against it. However, after some basic background reading on Guy (ooer ;)) and 5 minutes at his house - I was completely at ease.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Durzel, I checked the history on the purple car, and it all stacked up, but one of the services was about 3000 miles late. I also put a deposit down and found the owners of the garage to be really helpful and they even returned my deposit when I advised them that one of the services was a bit late! They let me and the wife take the car out on our own for around 30 mins, and the roads round there are superb. It certainly went like a rocket!

Guy's (your) car was (is) really nice, but unfortunately Guy was running on standard boost when I went to see it, and it felt a touch sluggish - I'm sure its a mini rocket now thats its up to circa 400bhp - great colour too.

Naz

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Indeed. :)

We don't know for sure that we saw the same car, but it sounds like we did :) One of the garage people made a point of telling me that the missing service had been done, and showed me the relevant documentation. I don't think there was anything wrong with the car persay, but the fact I was given completely bizarre quotes for how much the exhaust cost, etc put me off a bit.

I got my deposit back not long after as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts