GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought myself another R32 GTR and planning the upcoming winters projects. It's converted to a single turbo right now but planing to use twins again.

Recomendation for around 700hp, turbos and exhaust manifold?
Will be driving on E85.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
-5 with oem ported manifolds assuming your engine has supporting mods you can make anything up to 680bhp from a 2.6

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-5 with oem ported manifolds assuming your engine has supporting mods you can make anything up to 680bhp from a 2.6
Okay sound's good. Then the big question is the turbos, more or less all of the big power Rb26 in Sweden is running singel turbos but I want twins because of the swedish m.o.t so it looks a we bit more stock.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
If it's not a drag car I will always use twins people may argue otherwise but you get better drivability and boost comes on in a linear fashion not all at once and your not fighting the car for traction.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
680 seems a tad high for 5s - I seem to recall garrett rate them at 340 but that doesnt mean thats acheivable. Ive never seen a dyno graph showing that power with 5s especially on a 2.6

I had a 2.8 with a flowed head and stage 2 cams - didnt make close to that although it diid make huge torque from under 4k but they definately did run out of steam . And the same motor easily made much more with a larger single

dont think ct17s car made near 680 either and that was with billett wheel

dont get me wrong great turbos but on normal fuel i cant see 680

·
Registered
33 Posts
Would have been much better comparison if they would have used same kind of turbos (GT series instead of GTX series). Of course the GTX performs much better because it's 20 years newer than the old twin turbos..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would have been much better comparison if they would have used same kind of turbos (GT series instead of GTX series). Of course the GTX performs much better because it's 20 years newer than the old twin turbos..
i fail to see why that is an issue? technology has moved on in 20 years so it makes sense to compare the current singles with the twins people have generally been using. the comparison would have been irrelevant using an older single.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i fail to see why that is an issue? technology has moved on in 20 years so it makes sense to compare the current singles with the twins people have generally been using. the comparison would have been irrelevant using an older single.
Yes, you fail.. Of course it's nice to compare old vs. new but then you shouldn't call it twins vs. single comparison because it's not just that what makes the difference.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
People keep talking about old technology vs new. The difference is not revolutionary rather an evolution as the basic design and principles are still the same. The so called old tech twins can still give mighty results when the engine and control systems are optimised with each other. Seen loads of people bang on about the latest twin efr kits and blowing a fortune only to get disappointed, like wise with single kits and results are still somewhat disappointing!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
People keep talking about old technology vs new. The difference is not revolutionary rather an evolution as the basic design and principles are still the same. The so called old tech twins can still give mighty results when the engine and control systems are optimised with each other. Seen loads of people bang on about the latest twin efr kits and blowing a fortune only to get disappointed, like wise with single kits and results are still somewhat disappointing!
I would respectfully disagree here.

I've had my car for 9 years and always been on the "twin turbo" side of the fence. I have recently blown my -5's (lasted less than 5000 kms... prob from pushing them too hard) and ditched the twins. An EFR 8374 1.05 is going on my car ATM.

Another mate of mine with a 3.0 which also had -5's also toasted his rear at a track day. He also has put on a 8374/1.05 and it is night and day. It's on ATLEAST 500 RPM earlier, the transient response is ridiculously good (SO much better than the twins) and is making alot more power. 3 wins to the single! Easier to work on, you open the bonnet and its no where near as hot. I dont know why people bother with the standard low mount nugget setup anymore, seriously.

"Twins for response, single for power" err no! More like "twins in the bin"!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts