GTR Forum banner

What Tyres now ?

6K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  Ballzie71 
#1 ·
So 4000 miles has passed since i bought my car with brand new AVONS fitted , so is there a go to tyre is it still PS4"S ?

the Car is not a daily and due to my time of life it replaced my adrenaline fix from my 2 wheel days .

its used in the wet for essential journeys (wife's using her's) , but mainly for "fun" ;)

#5 · (Edited)
I have had sports contact 6 and they wore out quite poorly on my other cars compared to mitchelin. Maybe the version 7 might be better but not going to try.
Re ‘run flats‘ vs mp4s. Yes mp4s are less firm, less pointy and of course won’t get you home if you get a bad enough puncture, than the runflats but for me that’s where the positives ends.

based on the OP’s requirements.

The mp4s are way better in the wet
more comfortable on a drive
last almost twice as long
were cheaper to buy

if you want it firmer then drive in R mode (I’ve not found it detrimental going round corners, etc, it’s not ‘that soft’). I don’t really feel that much difference now as I’ve upgraded suspension, awd controller (so can get more grip to front), etc so I dont feel there is a down side except the ability to drive fully home if I get a puncture.
Also the best size to get are 305 fronts 265 rears rather than 285/255 of runflats. less error in the rotations (back to front).

#7 ·
MP4s are 'not' run flats. Benefit of the different size is the ratio's of the tyres compared to the original are actually better, For example you can use a site like this Tyre Calculator | AlloyWheels.com to calculate the best tyre combo for a given wheel. This helps in the following

1) less ETS/transmission issues if fronts have a big difference compared to the rears
2) You actually have more wheel contact with the ground so more available traction (dry or wet)
3) Allegedly takes out a bit of the understeer but I can't confirm that

Its all up to you if the benefits I've listed outweigh the minus's don't blame me if your MP4s get a puncture and you have to call the RAC out :).

#10 ·
It really does depend on what you want/expect from your tyres. Here's what I've learnt/experienced with the GT-R:

Cup2 N0/N1 Porsche: First set came with the car. Bought the car in November, drove sometimes on cold, wet days. Thought they were bad. Had me wondering what the so-called great handling/traction GT-R was all about. Took some getting used to. When summer came they were awesome. Never lost grip, could take corners at crazy speeds with confidence. The car had more grip than I dared push it/had talent. They were worn down from 5.5mm to 3mm in a year. NB. They pick up EVERY loose stone on the road and they stick to the tread. Swapped them out for the MP4S and the MP4S had less grip except for wet/cold roads.

MP4S: Most comfortable (apart from the unsettling bounce they sometimes have when 'motoring'), quiet and good tyre life. Trade off is they are good all-rounders but definitely nothing special. Everyone seems to rate them - I thought they turned a razor sharp handling car into a 'Blah" does the job car. Might be alright on a Focus RS etc. Replaced mine after 12 months, really didn't like them, they had hardly worn though.

Bridgestone RE070 runflats - stock size. Nice and precise, made the car very darty and made it feel special. They are noisier than both the above, wore down fairly slowly. Braking performance was excellent. Car picked up less stonechips than when I had the Michelins - which had been in the 265/305 sizes. Made the car agile and nimble and I value that over comfort. I never use Comfort mode. Swapped them out for Cup2s again.

Cup2 N/K 265/305. I prefer the K fitment (Ferrari) to the N fitment (Porsche) on the rear. Grip is better than the original Cup2s re. traction off the line. The K1 rears are MILES better in the cold/wet than the ones I had before. You can actually drive normal in cold/wet conditions rather than hold back with N fitment tyres. They do still take some getting used to. The car initially slides a little but then just grips and holds the line well, its a bit disconcerting until you know what to expect. OK in standing water but you wouldn't want to push on in the very wet unless you a) have a spare pair of underpants and b) have read and fully learnt everything in Ayrton Senna's book Principles of Race Driving.

#12 ·
I must admit I 'had' that fear but once the MP4S were on I thought where is the issue? Can I check what year are your cars mine was an MY17. I know MY17 onwards was more comfortable anyway so maybe less of an extreme but wouldnt go back to the runflats. Each to their own I guess. My car I guess is also not 'standard' so I can dial down/up almost anything.

#15 ·
Mine is DBA and with MP4S grips like it has claws. I have no issues once the tires are warm. I've been in CBA's before and I agree the suspension is too stiff. I mostly drive my DBA in R mode except suspension which is in comfort mode due to the state of the roads in my area.
Mine is stage 4.25 at almost 700hp so that may feel different compared to a stock car.

BTW anyone knows what the "save" mode does on the trans settings?? I tried it once and the car drives like a ford fiesta :))

#18 ·
I hardly ever drive in R mode for transmission - been told it wears your gearbox solenoids etc out quicker as it preselects 2 gears all the time, rather than one in normal mode. Reading the manual suggests that is correct as it's always selecting an odd and even gear to go into next depending on what's needed.

#20 ·
So after reading all the helpful replies and advice I tried to place an order for 265 & 305 MPS4’s , but locally availability of the 305’s is a problem with Michelin showing no stock and no availability date ! Demon Tweeks is nearby and was told Russia provides a lot of the materials that go to make tyres , so places a call to Litchfield and had a chat with Ian who said he had 3 sets but it’s a 6 hr round trip which was not ideal but he did say that he had some Conti SC 7’s which he stated where as good if not better than the Michelins , so a few YouTube videos later , one of which was tagged in the post later I’ve ordered the conti’s and according to my supplier there was only 2 tyres available in the 305 size .
so now committed to the Conti’s SP 7’s I’m wondering if any one has them on and what they think ?

#21 ·
I have used them in previous incarnations sportcontact 5 I believe and only issue was the wear rate it was like 50% or more quicker wearing. Still was better than dunlops. Grip and feel was similar. So I would be interested to see if they last the same. If they do then you will be fine.

#25 ·
Cup 2s in the wet and rain? What power you got on your car. I’m running 1000bhp and over 800 torque no traction issues on mp4s so genuinely want to know why you losing traction in all gears. I hardly even lose it in 1st and second on a launch (1.4 and 1.5s 60 ft).

However having someone test the sportcontact 7 is good as another option. It seems to be beating most brands all round.

#28 ·
quick update finally had some Conti SC7's fitted after a wait due to stock shortage with a 275/305 setup , little advice order in advance don't leave till desperately needed. initial thoughts a lot softer ride than the dunlops and a decrease in road noise and no tram lining like the dunlops which were bad especially at low speeds . Handling performance can't give a proper judgement as i don't get to use a lot , or had passengers with me :censored: , i can say i preferred the feel mid corner from the stronger sidewalls of the dunlop run flats on the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.