Votes: 259 23.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 91 8.1%

• Total voters
281 - 300 of 612 Posts

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
OK, Forgetting that the source of my Red Line oil was a race team....They have given me this:

Red Line Oil: Motor Oil

It says it is not recomended for street use....? Is it because of the lack of detergents in it? What side effects am I going to encounter with running race oil?

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's probably to do with the fact that street engines are usually low rpm, idling for long periods of time, stop/start type driving and serviced infrequently whereas a racing engine is highly maintained and usually run flat out more often than not.

I'm a big fan of using racing engine oil in racing engines or high performance street engines that are serviced regularly as the detergents added to oil blends don't lubricate the engine and let's face it, that's what the oil is for.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
OK, Forgetting that the source of my Red Line oil was a race team....They have given me this:

Red Line Oil: Motor Oil

It says it is not recomended for street use....? Is it because of the lack of detergents in it? What side effects am I going to encounter with running race oil?
Its fine for street use, nothing to do with detergents really, mosre because it does not carry any ACEA or API specs.

Cheers

Guy

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Cheers Oilman and 2rismo.

....Handy as I can get this cheaper than Repco Oil! (Crappy no name oil)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Its fine for street use, nothing to do with detergents really, mosre because it does not carry any ACEA or API specs.

Cheers

Guy
/slaps_head

I only scanned the page that was linked to and read SAE as API.

(I'm off to take my smart pills now)

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Hello Oilman,

I'm planning on using Kendall oil for my engine. It's a pretty much stock R32 GTS-t, RB20DET. I've been thinking of 5W-30 or 10W-40.

I live in Finland but won't be driving the car during the winter.

Thank you in Advance,
Vihis

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Dear Guy..

Please could you recommend me some engine oil for my R34 GTR.

It is a standard car bar an exhaust system. The last oil change was carried out in May with Silkolene Pro R being the oil of choice, although I am not too sure what grade of oil was used by the garage.

I also need to know how much oil is needed for an oil change. :)

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Kadir :wavey:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Simon, how do you rate Royal Purple?

Am using their oil for transmission and differential and am satisfied with it, but would like to know your Pro-thoughts on this! Thanks.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Average to be honest.

Cheers
I always thought Royal Purple was top stuff... :confused:

You learn something new every day.

What does it not have to be on one level with the higher rated ones if you don´t me askin? Would like to understand on what to look. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
We had some tested and it just didnt come out as good as some of the other leading brands of ester based oils.

Cheers

Guy

·
Registered
491 Posts
We had some tested and it just didnt come out as good as some of the other leading brands of ester based oils.

Cheers

Guy
Ok, so what would you recommend then for tranny and differential?

I have sent you PM, if you could reply to this I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks mate!

·
Registered
241 Posts
oilman
I am curious about for a street and drag competition for a 700whp engine , which is the best oil for you experience in a hot climate (30 celcius) all year long.
5w50 Mobil 1 or 10w40 Red Line Oil...it's synthetical better than mineral for race application ?
and also which oils for front differential, transfer case, and rear differential ?
thanks in advance for your advise.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
I would go with the Redline over the Mobil as it is ester based. The 5w-50 from Mobil is not one of their best.

Do you have any idea on your engine oil temps?

Cheers

Guy

281 - 300 of 612 Posts