GTR Forum banner

What "viscosity" oil do you use in your Skyline

  • 0w-40

    Votes: 41 3.7%
  • 5w-40

    Votes: 156 13.9%
  • 10w-40

    Votes: 187 16.7%
  • 10w-50

    Votes: 176 15.7%
  • 10w-60

    Votes: 212 18.9%
  • 15w-50

    Votes: 259 23.1%
  • None of the above

    Votes: 91 8.1%

  • Total voters
    1,122
121 - 140 of 612 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Ok guys, I have just bought my skyline R33 GTR about a month ago, it has an oil change using Royal Purple 0w 30 about 2 weeks before I got it (have the receipts to prove) and the oil was still clean when I picked the car up.

However I have a fresh can of Silkolene Pro S 15w 50 that I bought at totb last year for my old STi, but I sold the car about 3 days later so never opened it.

Can I use this oil in my R33 GTR ? The car is stage 1, runs an oil cooler and oil filter relocation kit.

Any help here would be great, as I really don't wanna throw away £35's worth of un opened oil.

Oh and how much oil does the RB26 take ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Yep you can use it no problem, personally I would not using a 0w-30 in a GTR.

5ltr will do you an oil change.

Cheers

Simon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,995 Posts
oilman said:
Yep you can use it no problem, personally I would not using a 0w-30 in a GTR.

5ltr will do you an oil change.

Cheers

Simon.
Yes i had this discussion with a mechanic friend of mine, he said that fully synthetic 0w 30 would burn off to quickly in my R32 engine, was he right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
leggus said:
Yes i had this discussion with a mechanic friend of mine, he said that fully synthetic 0w 30 would burn off to quickly in my R32 engine, was he right?
Yes you would probably go through it at a fair rate.

Cheers

Simon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
danok said:
Abbey have always put 10-60 in mine.
can someone supply me with some 10-60 for my r32gtr please? if so how much?

are the nissan oil filters ok to use?

The car is used everyday so would anyone recommend using the 10-50 instead? (stage 1 tuned)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,541 Posts
One for Simon.....
How do you rate the new Mobil1 extended performance range of oils?? Specifically the 15-50? I'm more than likely run Silkolene 15-50 as I've used it in the past (and loved the smell :) ) but was wondering what you had to say on the subject.

Cheers,
TT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
callumGTR said:
can someone supply me with some 10-60 for my r32gtr please? if so how much?

are the nissan oil filters ok to use?

The car is used everyday so would anyone recommend using the 10-50 instead? (stage 1 tuned)
I can supply whatever you like http://www.opieoils.co.uk

Would recommend 10w-50 over 10w-60 though and if the car is an unmodded road car then 5w-40

Regards
Simon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
tarmac terror said:
One for Simon.....
How do you rate the new Mobil1 extended performance range of oils?? Specifically the 15-50? I'm more than likely run Silkolene 15-50 as I've used it in the past (and loved the smell :) ) but was wondering what you had to say on the subject.

Cheers,
TT
They are good oils and better than most but changing from the Silkolene would be a step down in my opinion.

Cheers
Simon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,541 Posts
Cheers for that Simon. Think I'll stick with Silkolene then :clap:

TT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Now I've got grey hair, so I can get away with pootling around 'till it warms up:D
Me too! lol

I will be doing a lot of motorway miles when I finally get the car, it's an R32 2.0 GTST. I see Silkolene 15w 50 being recommended a lot here, and what about changing at 9,000 - 12,000 miles? Have I understood correctly?

Excellent thread BTW

Graham
 
121 - 140 of 612 Posts
Top