GTR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 GT-R with OEM wheels and standard-size Bridgestone runflats (255/40R20 front, 285/35R20 rear). I like the tyres so not looking to change for a different make. However, the fronts wear faster than the rears on track days so I now find myself with a number of spare rear tyres.

My questions are:
1) If I choose to put 285s on the front, can I (or should I) put the wider rear wheels on the front too? (I have a full set of OEM wheels I can use). Or should I stick the wider tyres on the standard front rims?
2) if (1) is OK, should I use spacers on the rear wheels so the relative position of the tyres to the body work is approximately the same front and rear? And if so, what should I use - 15mm spacers?

Thanks,
Brian.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I have been thinking about this recently. I am running the same tyre arrangement as you and as the inner shoulders wear on the back tyres and the outers on the front, it makes sense to run a 285 square setup and put part worn rears on the front so that you actually fully wear the tyre out rather than chucking out tyres that are nearly fully worn on one side and almost brand new on the other.

I do wonder if a worn rear tyre fitted on the front will want to lean into the car though and could make the car feel odd.

As for wheels and spacers I don't think you need so do anything radical. Many run the square set up so it should be fine.

The rear alloys are wider than the fronts, so you cant swap the wheels, you would need to have tyres removed and swapped over, but that's going to be less than £50 and if you get a track day / few thousand miles more out of the tyres then that's a good return.

Spacers In my opinion are generally a (good) vanity option. You wouldn't need them for the sake of the tyres.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I know the rear alloys are an inch wider than the fronts but does that mean they can't be used on the front because, for example, they snag the suspension?

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I've been running 285 MPSS all round on standard rims for about 18 months , no problems whatsoever, car handles well on this set up and looks "normal". Not sure how it would be with 285 runflats all round though?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts