GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, let's just say a friend of mine has asked me a question. He has £150K earning next to nothing in interest. He doesn't want to invest and lock it away as he is likely to need it in a year or two's time.

He's been watching the car market, in particular, Ferrari and Porsche and has seen where a lot of smart money is going while interest rates are grim. Certain cars are going up in price rapidly. He's aware that sooner or later the bubble will burst but believes that won't happen until interest rates increase by a significant jump.

Should he invest in a car and store it for say a year or two and if so, which car?
He's considering 360 CS, 430 Scud or even some of the earlier Ferraris. Also low mileage Porsche 997 GT3 RS is a possible.

What's your thoughts guys?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
911 993 turbo all day long
911 993 C2
Ferrari 328 GT's (at their lowest now imo)
BMW Z8

Buy a rental property on repayment and leave it or on interest only and get a return every month to plough into a GTR!!! :))

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Thanks Graham. I've also suggested Ferrari 328 GTS?

993 is a good shout.
Nice idea.... not sure what they can be picked up for these days.

911 993 turbo all day long
911 993 C2
Ferrari 328 GT's (at their lowest now imo)
BMW Z8

Buy a rental property on repayment and leave it or on interest only and get a return every month to plough into a GTR!!! :))
993s are a popular choice :chuckle:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know, not so sure SLR's are going to become that sought after.

i reckon they may end up being a classic, as long as he isnt planning to drive it much! ive been told the handling is a bit skittish.....

gt3 RS is a safe bet, not sure how much further they will go though.....i had to get out of my gen 1 a year and a half ago due to moving into london... picked the right car just the wrong time :(

maybe look at a gt2? they dont seem to have moved much yet.

if it was between the 360 cs and the scud purely in terms of making money, i'd go for the cs

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i reckon they may end up being a classic, as long as he isnt planning to drive it much! ive been told the handling is a bit skittish.....

gt3 RS is a safe bet, not sure how much further they will go though.....i had to get out of my gen 1 a year and a half ago due to moving into london... picked the right car just the wrong time :(

maybe look at a gt2? they dont seem to have moved much yet.

if it was between the 360 cs and the scud purely in terms of making money, i'd go for the cs
Yep, agree with you. GT3 RS - could be a bit late on that one, may have missed the boat. GT2 - interesting. CS is the one I'd go for too.

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
I'd invest it in my business if I had £150K spare and let it be earning me more money than any car ever will. That's just me though.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I'd invest it in my business if I had £150K spare and let it be earning me more money than any car ever will. That's just me though.
ditto id buy some machines I think, I have actually been pondering on this only this week thinking about selling my rental property and buying 2 dozers with the money as they will make alot more than a little rental income.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
ditto id buy some machines I think, I have actually been pondering on this only this week thinking about selling my rental property and buying 2 dozers with the money as they will make alot more than a little rental income.
Only if you can buy them outright ... :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Am I right in thinking you wouldn't pay CGT on any profit from doing this with one car? In which case the returns wouldn't need to be huge to outstrip any savings or rental properties income over a year or two.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
It's all about the ROCE!
exactly, £120k on 2 machines what if work dries up, return on capital employed will then be zero, I don't need any business advice from on here lmao earn the profit, reinvest to make more profit without getting in a world of debt, when the hard times hit (which they always do at some point) theres no finance/mortgages to worry about ;)

far to many companys sign on the never never and then work dries up, people don't pay and boom its all over, no thanks its not for me grow at a steady rate that's manageable through profit.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Build a 2000 bhp GTR

1 - 20 of 48 Posts