GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Not really given this much thought until I got the phone call of Rod @RB.

Where do I want to go with my car... (R33 Gtr 500r spec)

Basically my Apexi ecu is playing up, do I replace it with a second hand one hoping its not faulty for a couple £100 or go all out on a link g4?

Hmmmmm...... Decisions

·
Registered
566 Posts
Your location is different and may offer more options, but we prefer the Power FC on the more reasonable cars as it is an easy to operate and modify system. Not as many folks are able to tune a Link around here. Power FC with a Datalogit is easy to navigate. But you are missing some features that seem to be more popular these days...like the 2 step is annoyingly popular. But I can't recall ever having a hardware issue with a Power FC, so I would say they're usually reliable. I've bought many second hand off this site with great success.

That being said, if it is a D Jetro, I'd say stick with it, but If it's L Jetro and retains the Maf sensors, then ditch it and upgrade. Nissan Maf sensors are time bombs.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mapping isnt an issue here tbh, after thinking about it today and the fact i have mafs, i think im going to go down the link route.

·
Premium Member
3,771 Posts
Biggest benefit of more modern ecu***8217;s is speed of feedback and ability to run engine protection strategies. Soon pay for themselves if they save destroying an engine.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As the car is at RB and they had the link on the shelf, it made sense instead of waiting for a second hand/new apexi ecu which was my other option. Haltech never came to mind, what ecu have you got?

·
Premium Member
3,771 Posts
Link, Haltech, Motec, Syvecs, AEM, Adaptronic etc etc ....plenty of choice these days. All good if set up properly.

Rod knows G4***8217;s and always does a top notch job. He***8217;s been a constant in the UK Skyline scene since its beginnings.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, was about to say the ecu is only as good as the map/mapper.

Yeah 100% cant wait to get it back next week!

·
Premium Member
3,771 Posts
Does the Haltech read the CAS properly without modification?
All the big OZ builds with Haltech seem to use PRP triggers.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
I***8217;ve used haltech with out the need to change the CAS. However Link need some kind of upgrade to an AEM disc or trigger kit.

There is no question the trigger kit is the way for accurate measure and ideal to have, but some people might be out of budget or on something like a 500bhp tune might not want it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I’ve used haltech with out the need to change the CAS. However Link need some kind of upgrade to an AEM disc or trigger kit.

There is no question the trigger kit is the way for accurate measure and ideal to have, but some people might be out of budget or on something like a 500bhp tune might not want it.
I have a link with no trigger kit and running the standard CAS.......

1 - 20 of 32 Posts