GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent a few hours searching for info on the oil pump and crank of the R32 GTR. I'm basically in the middle of a timing belt change and I'm trying to decide if its worth taking off the oil pump and fixing the crank using a collar.

I've read a few posts saying that the R32 crank changed for the better around 93 but can't find enough evidence to convince me. I don't want to take the pump off if I can help it. So can someone put my mind at rest?

If I have to do it is it a straight forward job to fit the collar with engine in?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
you have to drop the sump to remove the oil pump, plus to fit the coller the crank has to be ground and the new coller sweated on!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn..

I really need the info on this. I'm not worried about taking the engine out but I'm a bit busy and if I go down that route I would like to do a few other bits to it whilst its out.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I may stand corrected here but i think they changed at the same time the 32's went to pull clutch.
Stick your head under the car and see if the clutch slave cylinder pushes the clutch arm forwards.

I have a 94 in at the moment which had the larger oil pump drive, ive also split plenty of 92's which havent had so i would guess at 93-94 for the change.

Somone from Abbey would probably know the answer for sure.

Rob

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent piece of info.. I'll have a look today.

Just need to find out how to tell the difference between a push and pull.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Lol ;)

If the slave cylinder pushes the piston towards the front of the car it should be a pull, if it pushes the piston towards the back of the car it should be a push.

i Say should' as it may have had a conversion at some point to change the set up. Assuming stock ish car i would go with the above mate.

Rob

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a look and its a pull type. :thumbsup:

Its a standard car from what I can tell (not an expert) apart from an exhaust but still has the cat.

·
Registered
594 Posts
A little off topic, my aplogies in advance , can any one confirm that nissan now only supply the wide oil pump drive type crank? (hope that makes sense) and if so how long has this been the case ;) Kevin

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The increased the surface area of the drive interface to the oilpump. Almost trippling it in size.

I'd post an image but don't know how to.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Ok, so in laymans terms, whats the benefits?

Also, did they keep this into the R33's? (dads got a late '93 R32 and mines got an R33 GTR engine in, so am interested).

Alex B

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The crank would break the oilpump gear eventually because it was stressing on the contact area.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes they did change the crank to have a larger surface area and they never looked back. The better crank was carried over to the R33 and R32. You can no longer buy the old R32 crank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts