GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had Power FC mapped up to 0.9 bar, couldnt go any further because the boost controller was'nt working properly.

Fixed that now, and on the way home i gave the car a little squirt @ 1.2 bar (GT-SS turbo's) but the warning light flickered for a second at about 7000 rpm.

On the hand commander, the stuff being monitored is, Injector duty, Air Flow, Timing, and Knock.

I glanced at the commander, but obviously because i'd eased off, i didnt know which one of these readings caused the flicker, but i presume it was the knock sensors.

Ive turned the boost down to 1.0 bar and have been monitoring the knock level meter all day, and it doesnt seem to climb much higher than a quarter of the way up the scale.

Does anyone know the 'safe' zone for the meter reading?

i.e., how high can it go before it all gets a bit dodgy?

And can you get a peak reading from the hand commander after you've finished your journey? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ohhhh...good question i too would like to know how to get the peak reading feature to check injector, afm and knock....

anybody any ideas

p.s sorry to jump on this thread....

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
On the hand controller you can select all readings to show peak only - from memory when it was on monitor and it was one of the arrows that moved it to this??

Mine only ever used to hit about 32 after a really hard play when it was set up properly.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Nick, i'll have a mess about with it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Knock

Yip the up arrow shows your peek figures.. Almost had a heart attack when i saw my knock hitting 113 on the monitor before i found out this was just from the engine turning over at start up:) ...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Echoing coxie's comments, thanks for the advice guys.. and yes, definitely time for a beer :)

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
markyboy.1967 said:
Yip the up arrow shows your peek figures.. Almost had a heart attack when i saw my knock hitting 113 on the monitor before i found out this was just from the engine turning over at start up:) ...
I sh*t my pants the first time that happened too pmsl!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Absolute bullshit.

There is NO safe level of knock on a PFC because every car is different. Some cars will see knock levels of around 25 on light detonation, some cars will see "knock" levels of 25 purely from engine mechanical noise.

You need to look at the trace of knock over time, preferably with a laptop using power excel or Datalogit. You need to know what sort of knock levels YOUR engine exhibits when it actually dets, so get some det cans and have a listen.

Paul

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Typically, the warning is set to come on at 40 if you're being conservative, 60 if you're not.

I monitor speed, knock, intake temp, and water temp, with peak values on (by pressing up). If you press the right arrow, you get a real-time plot of the values you've chosen to monitor, but it's all but useless other than looking pretty cool to impress your passengers :clap:

It does sometimes pick up the starter motor noise and registers over 100 on startup - I tend to switch off and start again if it does that, as your peak value becomes useless for the rest of the journey.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
leggus said:
i didnt know which one of these readings caused the flicker, but i presume it was the knock sensors.
The only warning that flashes the ECU light is knock :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have a laptop where do i get a copy of the software needed to access the ecu via latop???what do you use to connect to the laptop ?cable wise?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Pikey said:
The only warning that flashes the ECU light is knock :)
Not true matey - if your afm's max out the ecu light on the dash also flashes [but slower] [assuming you still have AFM's that is!]
Also you can re-set the max reading by going to real time mode and then going back to peak reading..:)

I really wouldn't worry about any reading below 30ish - also bear in mind that the PFC det monitor is pretty inaccurate anyway, and as pavlo so eloquently said every engine is different and some engines make other noises [that are not det] that just happen to occupy the same particular range in the audio spectrum that the det monitor is listening to.

The only accurate way of measuring det is through det cans. You can however get a more accurate real time reading by buying a dedicated det monitor which cost about 200 quid..

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Luckham said:
Not true matey - if your afm's max out the ecu also flashes [but slower] [assuming you still have AFM's that is!]
Also you can re-set the max reading by going to real time mode and then going back to peak reading..:)
I didnt know that :)

Pretty sure your peak readings arent reset until you turn the ignition off though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i thought you press up to go to peak readings, then right to clear them, and then down if you want to go back to looking at your real time readings again.........

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Pikey said:
I didnt know that :)

Pretty sure your peak readings arent reset until you turn the ignition off though.
You can definitely re-set the peak reading without turning her off, I think [from memory] is it by going to real time and then peak again, but I'm not near the car right now so I can't check.
I'll check the key combo again when I go back to my place later and let you know :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts