GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents,
as i`m pretty new to Skyline ownership i was wondering if someone could clear something up for me. I have driven numerous powerful rear wheel drives before and love the sensation when you feed in the oversteer and let it drift. i kind of expected to be able to do the same with the skyline but have so far not really been able to unsettle it or upset it in the bends. Great i hear you cry however on the wettest, greasiest roundabout i know, i thought i would give it a bash the other night in the rain. I did not get the arse out expected, sort of `drifted` a bit but the sensation i got reminded me of driving a front wheel drive car in that i seemed to lose quite a bit of feeling in the front end and indeed traction / steering. Perhaps this was an indication of how greasy or slippy the roundabout really is but surely the car shouldn`t go into what i can only describe as torque steer??? I seem to remember having to lift off the power momentarily to gain traction then feeding in again once the car had squared up. Perhaps this is just 4wd and i will have to get used to it!!
Any advice appreciated
jas

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Phil it does but surely someone else has played with the dif/running gear on their motors??
Even with the dif i would have expected the tail to start swinging rather than the front?? Is this a normal ` feeling` for awd wheelspin???

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
do you have a torque controller on the car ?
with the amount of fettling the car has had I wonder if someone has a controller for driving styles on the car. this could be set to 50% power dispersal and that would give you understeer in bends. some people use them for drag racing..

there is an article on one of the websites about a guy who made a controller himself using the sensors the car already has.
Don't know the link though..

Good luck.
Steve

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers

Thanks Steve,
i take it that a standard set up wouldn`t have built in understeer then? I must admit, i do feel happier behind the wheel of a car that does understeer rather than surpirse oversteer. This article you refer to, i was wondering if something like this had been done to the car, if its the same, is this where the modification was nothing more than turning the sensors through ninety degrees so that it sensed roll instead of pitch?? If so, where on an R32 would these sensors be located??

Sorry to pester you,

Jason

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
You would have noticed the box if it had a torque controller (boost controller-sized). What does the torque split gauge do on the move? Has it got a front LSD? Can you adjust the pre-load of it?

Phil

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmmm

Me thinks that a trip to Abbey or such like is in order to find out exactly what this car has and has not got. Thats if i dont sell it of course.
Seems to me that it may have a lot of gadgets that are wasted on a twat!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Is this not the same car which was going to be entered in the gumball rally this year? - if so must have some good gadgets/mods to play with:smokin:

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you may be right!!

You may have me there!!!
The more id rive the thing the bigger the smile becomes, i think it would be difficult to find something that would keep me so excited on a thrash out south deeside!!
Just wish that it wasn`t such a pain in town, thats why i want to change to something else or maybe a more standard car.
Was thinking of trying to do a deal at indycarsales but someone i spoke to said he can be a bit `off` with you?? then again someone else said he is ok??
Incidently, do any of you know the product that goes in the reservoir in the boot (driver side panel)??I beleive its for the 4wd and cant be mixed with different types(a bit like oil)

cheers,

Jason

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup

yes, but cannonball not gumball. Think thats the one for people with a lot more money than me!!
Where you getting octane booster in Aberdeen?? i have about half a tanks worth left!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
not sure what the fluid is - sure someone will know.

take it the car has a twin plated clutch then if it's hard work in town? - makes up for it when on the back Banchory/Torphins road from Westhill!!!

Royal Deeside - can't beat the Queens Highways :D

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
????

No idea about clutch but its the running gear and lsd from a track car that is a pain in town, limited turning before it starts trying to spin the inside wheel faster!!
Booster?? Searched everywhere!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Octane Booster

has the car been mapped for any specific fuel - RB motorsport have mapped my one (via previous owner) for Optimax & it goes like a dream - if keeping, might be worthwhile giving them a shout so next time he's in the area, get his laptop plugged in?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Must use optimax and booster.
I have still have the car which is looking more and more likely maybe you can give us a shout next time he is about??

cheers

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
SteveC said:

there is an article on one of the websites about a guy who made a controller himself using the sensors the car already has.
Don't know the link though..

Good luck.
Steve
My old man reckons he can knock that up very easily - with possible additions to make it even more user "definable"........I wonder if he'll ever get the chance to give it a go .....

Daz

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
AWD Fluid

Jason - anyone come back with the fluid composition for the drivers side fluid tank in the boot?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, RB Motorsport,
Great help, have pm`ed regards a visit to Aberdeen.
He also gave all advice needed to change /replace the fluid in the reservoir....top bloke...will have no hesitation in letting him fettle with the car.

Jas

1 - 19 of 19 Posts