GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my UK-spec GTR-34 has the Middlehurst stage 1 upgrade, which I believe involved (from memory)

HKS Super Drager Exhaust
HKS downpipe
HKS induction kit
Cat replacement pipe
HKS inlet cam pulley
HKS exhaust cam pulley
HKS inlet camshaft
HKS exhaust camshaft
HKS AFR unit
+ odds + ends.

Now this "only" cost £2K + VAT to get the car to 400bhp

The next step (according to Middlehurst) is another £10K to take it to 500bhp

Now while I have the utmost respect for Middlehurst.. is there any stage in between that I could consider.. as I don't want to go blowing another £10K on the car (which I'd never see if I sold it)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
HE HE HE

DB why not sell one of your 8 cars and send the 34 back up to Middlehurst?:D

A wee joke sorry. Im sure there are plenty of cheaper options to get 450/500 bhp.

Speak to Paul he has that set yup but with a few other bits got 498 at the last dyno day 2 weeks back!

If not speak to Guy, Henry or Jamie.

·
Registered
212 Posts
well mate... unfortunately you came to the limit of a few factory components... Turbos, injectors,engine management, intercooler will all be running at or pretty close to their limit as it is...

Its pretty hard to judge the value of their 10k upgrade without knowing what it includes but it sounds fairly high for 500hp... I can't see above mentioned items + a clutch costing more than half that amount... Maybe some porting job, set of forgies and like is included but that'll give you the chance to run a fair bit more hp...

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
I'd be wary about people trying to sell you an uprated intercooler. Standard intercooler is supposed to be good for at least 600bhp, majority of people offer it as a cheap and hassle free way to gain a little extra bhp, or simply for looks.

Injectors are also an anomoly, if you check out Glens car, he was running much less than 99% on standard injectors and that's with his big bastard turbo.

It's all down to the mapping but one thing that's definate, you need better turbos and a decent ECU. Thing is, who will you get to map it?
Cem

·
Registered
994 Posts
Geezajob,
There is only one phone number & name you need and you don`t need to listen to loads of old crap or pay £10,000 either.

Gary GT-ART 07730-813455.

Trust in fact not fiction,

Henry.:smokin:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess the problem I have with using Abbey/Dragon/GT-ART is that it will invalidate my 3yr warranty. (it's a UK car)

Some of the mods that Middlehurst perform can (at a pinch) still be covered by the Nissan warranty. I suspect should anything go wrong with a car modified by one of the above, is that Nissan/Middlehurst won't want to know.

Also, the Middlehurst Stage1 & 2 upgrades are almost considered "standards" and may not adversely affect resales values of a UK car, whereas mods by a "jap tuning company" (no offence intended) may not be looked upon so happily by prospective purchasers.

·
Registered
275 Posts
speaking as a complete novice, but also as someone who has a 500+bhp car, if i were to do it all again, i'd say sod the bhp, gimme maximum torque! personally i think its the torque that gives the thrills, the kick in the back.
comparing my cars torque figures with some of the cars with much bigger bhp figures, i think my torque is pretty good.but it cost a fair bit to do.

so heres the question...

is it possible to gain large amounts of torque without necessarily having huge bhp, and all the costs/losses incurred with that?

see, told ya i was a novice!:D

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Warranty

I have lost my warranty with MM by taking my car to GT-Art.The fact of the matter is that MM will only garantee the additional parts of an upgrade for only one year and as to the engine it was a grey area so I just could not deal with that ! Before you part with any money explore all avenues.

If you are fortunate enough to get the mods done by a very good tuner,as mentioned by Guy ,I don't believe you will be dissapointed.The difference between your current sate of tune and the one you aspire to (500 bhp) will keep you grinning for a long time to come .GARANTEED:D .The only drawback is once you get more power you will eventually want more .;) .It's like an addiction which is fine until the wife find out !

I bought my car and thought that's it doesn't need any more ,but now I am starting to feel now that I want more !Well it will keep the tuners happy !

If you want any more info feel free to PM me. Good luck with your decisions !

Ian.
BTW it was 498.5 so get your bloody facts right.:D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Cem...
I have never seen a stock cooler on a 600hp car... Maybe yours will be the first one...
And as for stock injectors they are rated at 400-450hp... You might gain a little more with a higher volume fuel pump but running them at %99 of their duty cycle is asking for trouble.
Both are a must for a 500hp engine IMO...

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Emre,

Reason you've never seen a car with stock intercooler at that power is exactly the reason I said, it's a simple and cost effective way to increase a little power. When youre talking circa 10k for a tuning job, the price of an uprated intercooler is irrelevant so you'll often find people will do it regardless. I've always had Abbey offer to do my intercooler at the same time as my oil coolers. I just don't think I need them.

Shin is running standard intercoolers with over 500bhp.

Cem

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Intercooler!

I to have heard the same regarding changing the standard Intercooler, it is recommended to change the intercooler on a 33 when in search of better power, whereas the stock 34 item is said to be a much improved version and capable of doing the job with increased power.

..Ian

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
R34 intercooler

In that case how much does a std r34 I/C cost as this could be an avenue I follow in a few months ??

perhaps someone will sell the STD one from an R34 when they have upgraded ?

/Steve

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Having installed the Furry Dice + interior neons I now feel ready for a modifying challenge but it depends if I need to cut the Chassis about:mad:

I'll do a bit of homework...
cheers
Steve

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
geezajob.....I know I might get my head bitten off for sayng this...but why don't you spend your hard earned cash on something other than more power? Try a proper adjustable suspension system with some slightly harder stabilizer bars and maybe some ap 6-pot racing brkes. This will dramatically improve your cars handling and behavior on both track and road and you will get 100% out of it. That is if you haven't already got all of the above...in that case go for MORE POWER! :D ;)

Emre.....In japan R34s with standard i/cs are pretty common. The Mine's demo car has 600bhp and 60kgm of torque and uses the same stock item....and even Nismo says you dont really need one untill 600bhp.
Look at it this way...for a track car you want as much air to flow over the radiator and a fat ic will just take a lot away...and what gets past will be 1)slower and 2) warmer! So I'm with Cem and Shin on this one:)
If you are after looks and prefere the drag scene then big fat shiney ics are the way to go!

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
More power = more boost = more heat = higher intake air temp = greater risk of det.

Uprated IC = lower intake air temp = less risk or det. = more tunable (+ cooler looking front end!)

I fitted an HKS GT Spec IC for the above reasons and to cater for future mods.

As Guy has posted previously, it seems that you're in MM's hands anyway Dave so you'll have to be guided by them and what they feel is acceptable to them so that you can maintain your warranty.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Guy,

I totally agree with your argumentation.
I have heard of ICs giving from around 10bhp to 30bhp depending on engine tuning.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts