GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched some videos the other day on some drag racing in Japan at the HKS meets. Lots of interesting cars were present but loads of GT-Rs of which a vast number a BNR32s. I know they're the most common one for drag purposes. In the videos, they were numerous different tuning paths taken duh, and turbochargers used. For instance, there was one which used twin HKS GT3037S turbochargers & ran better times than some equiped with HKS GT3240s (which seem to be a common setup) & T51R KAI & SPL setups.

This bring me to my part one of my reason for posting. I've emerced myself head first into the Skyline world and want to know all i can. Second a friend is considering doing a complete drag GT-R. No Drag/Street no Drag/Circuit, purely drag. So i was wondering if anyone with drag GT-R specs (preferably BNR32 but any would do or a GTS with an RB26 or so) could you please post them up here? We want to see what's common, what's not, what's never been done and get a general idea of what needs to be done.

So thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a friend here in Australia whose motor would be along the lines of a quick/reliable drag engine. It still runs full trim though so it can be driven on the street. Specs are along the following lines;

JUN 2.7L full stroker kit using brand new N1 blocks (crank, rods, pistons, oil pump)
JUN head (280 degree 11.35mm cams, lots of porting and polishing, titanium retainers, springs etc)
JUN/CRD GT Cooling modification (extra cooling channels through the head)
JUN triple pass twin channel radiator to suit above mentioned cooling mod
HKS T51R-SPL ball bearing turbo kit (manifold, wastegate etc)
OS Giken 6 speed sequential gearbox with quad plate clutch
JUN special transfer case
Carbon diffs, custom made billet driveshafts
Motec m800 ecu with every sensor you could ever want

Theres alot more bits and pieces in the mix but build cost was well over 33,000 pounds. Car is a BNR32 which did a 10.2 on its first outing on low power with some transmission gremlins that needed ironing out.

Theres also another friend with similar build in a BNR34 using HKS 3240's with Hollinger gearbox. Build cost was along the same lines.

It is definately not cheap to play with the big boys reliabley.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Filled RB30 Block, MOTEC EMS, Twin 3240's, LOTS AND LOTS OF BOOST.
Drivetrain hardware is a big topic.

·
Registered
234 Posts
1 big horse power, 1 good fresh chassie design, bring to the boil,,, add a pinch of drag slicks,,,,, oh and dont forget a couple of good size balls to hold it flat:chuckle:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rain said:
lets not forget one fat wallet.
That's not an issue. I should have listed what he has in his possesion and what he was thinking along the lines of modifications. Here we go:

What He Has:

-BNR32 GTR (Daily Driver and the Project)

-BNR32 GTR RB26DETT equpied with APEX'i Intake Filters, APEX'i Intercooler. Nismo Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pump & Fuel Pressure Regulator, Nismo Downpipes & Exhaust. APEX'i S-AFC II & Turbo Timer. Earl's Oil Cooler. APEX'i N1 Coilovers. Nismo Strut Tower Brace. TEIN Anti-Roll Bars.

In possession but not in the car:

-BNR34 GTR RB26DETT (Spare - Stock)

-Bee-R ATTESA ETS Controller.

What He Wants:

-Plain and simple, a drag car utilizing as many APEX'i parts as possible.

- To build the BNR32 RB26 using twin APEX'i turbochargers & build the BNR34 RB26 using a single APEX'i turbocharger.

-Two OS Giken RB30 kits have already been ordered.

-Two sets of alot of other things have been ordered as well.

The help i need now is which turbochargers to go for the twin setup & which for the single? Should he go for the biggest in each case?

Still want setups of other drag GT-Rs or Drag/Street GT-Rs.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New Note: Forget Complete Drag, gonna be drag/street. Got confirmation that he spoke to people and got these:

APEX'i AX53B70 Turbochargers x2.
APEX'i AX75F92 Turbocharger.

So now its fun time. Again would still appreciate specs of other street/drag or plain drag GT-Rs guys.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Aside from the above mentioned examples I have given you, I am currently building a street/drag GTR thats not quite so hardcore.

RB26DETT with standard crank with ACL race series bearings
Eagle conrods with modified ARP-2000 bolts
Arias 86.5mm forged pistons
Custom 9 litre baffled sump
JUN/CRD head (280 degree 11.35mm cams, titanium everything, port matched to manifold etc)
JUN/CRD GT head cooling modification
Trust T88H-38GK turbo
Trust 60mm external wastegate
Trust dual entry Drag-SPL intercooler
Trust 6 speed H-pattern dog box
JUN special transfer case
OS Giken R4C quad plate clutch
HKS Drag 4" exhaust
Bosch 044 pump in tank with 5 litre surge tank
4x Bosch 044 pumps from surge tank to dual entry HKS fuel rail (4 mainly for redundancy purposes in case any fail while on the gas)
Sard 1000cc injectors
Custom 19 row oil cooler

Probably alot of bits and pieces I have missed. But the general idea of the car is something I can drive around and then take to the drags when I want and blast out a quick time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
well if you want to use apexi parts then i think u'd definately need:

2.9L stroker kit
290 degree camsafts
uprated valve springs etc to go with cams
uprated metal head gasket
adjustable cam pulleys
head bolts
bigger sump to hold more oil
uprated cooling parts for reliability
bigger intercooler pipework etc

obviously a lot of parts you want to build your engine with depends on preference as apexi arn't really going to cover everythink you want. but if your wanting to look a other car setups, its best to look at keith cowie's r32, the duke r33, rk tunings r32, cars like that etc. oh and the sumo r33.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
neil c said:
well if you want to use apexi parts then i think u'd definately need:

obviously a lot of parts you want to build your engine with depends on preference as apexi arn't really going to cover everythink you want. but if your wanting to look a other car setups, its best to look at keith cowie's r32, the duke r33, rk tunings r32, cars like that etc. oh and the sumo r33.
Yea i know. Links to any of those cars would be nice. I've seen the Sumo R34 and studied that, but the others would be nice. Seen pics of the RK Tuning 32 & Keith's as stuff about his car is all over this forum. But the specs i don't know so hence why i need the link.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Sumo run's HKS 2.6? 2835x2
RK run RB30 with T88-GK
Keith was running 2.6 3240's now has some custom single
I thin Duke has a 2.8 Hi-Deck dunno turbo's

I don't think there is any big power cars running apexi stuff, there on the verg of going bust at the moment.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Toby Broom said:
Sumo run's HKS 2.6? 2835x2
RK run RB30 with T88-GK
Keith was running 2.6 3240's now has some custom single
I thin Duke has a 2.8 Hi-Deck dunno turbo's

I don't think there is any big power cars running apexi stuff, there on the verg of going bust at the moment.
Hi Toby Broom

My last engine was a trust 2.7 with a pair of 3037 turbos

Keith

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Amaru said:
Eagle conrods with modified ARP-2000 bolts
4x Bosch 044 pumps from surge tank to dual entry HKS fuel rail (4 mainly for

I would be interested to know how the Eagles work out. They are a cheap rod. Cheap in both ways. I have used them in a GM V-6 motor before, but I wouldn't put together an RB26 with Eagle rods.

The last cheap chinese made rod experience I had, it broke mid beam- 660 whp. Saving a money on the rod cost the block, head and crank. This was in a GM V-6.

4 pumps. The amount of money and effort you have in 4 pumps - why not just put one single Weldon fuel pump and be done with it ? I really can't wrap my head around this 4 and 5 pump setups. 4 times the moving parts. 4 times the fittings. 4 times the complexity. 4 times the amount of parts to fail.

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Sean- Pure stupidity is my only guess for reasoning!

I love these threads as they always seem to be full of kids christmas lists for santa, without actually knowing why they asking for these bits.

For pure drag itd be simple.
Linered all steel RB26, may as well keep it at 2.6, its revs that count.
Dry sump.
Semi or fully filled block.
Top end of the engine optimised for power in the top safe rpm band of the internals (most probably 12k+).
Big single turbo capable of 1500bhp or so, GT4788 or similar would probably be the limit of usefulness.
No intercooler or chargecooler.
Single fuel pump.
6 injectors.
Methanol fuel.
As much nitrous as the engine can take, direct port plus a jet pre-compressor.

Transmission would be simialrly simple, not all this name brand calling without knowing what you saying crap.

For a streetable drag motor itd be a RB30 running GT42 or similar, plus Nitrous.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
SteveN said:
I love these threads as they always seem to be full of kids christmas lists for santa, without actually knowing why they asking for these bits.

Linered all steel RB26, may as well keep it at 2.6, its revs that count.
Dry sump.
Semi or fully filled block.
Top end of the engine optimised for power in the top safe rpm band of the internals (most probably 12k+).
Big single turbo capable of 1500bhp or so, GT4788 or similar would probably be the limit of usefulness.
No intercooler or chargecooler.
Single fuel pump.
6 injectors.
Methanol fuel.
As much nitrous as the engine can take, direct port plus a jet pre-compressor.
For a streetable drag motor itd be a RB30 running GT42 or similar, plus Nitrous.
GT4788 is big. I have seen a Supras now with a GT5591. 1200 whp on boost. 1300 whp on some spray 3.4 liter. 48 psi. Crazy. http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379837

People just keep putting bigger and bigger turbos on.

GT42 is the turbo for a big build Evo now. Big boost 40 psi plus.

If you ran methanol you would probably need 12 injectors. Methanol requires about double the fuel of gasoline. Biggest injectors are around 160 lb/hr they would be good for around 1600 hp on gasoline, probably 800 on methanol.

The guys here from Xtreme Racecars did a RB26 in a 350Z. They did about 1400 on a fairly stock RB26. The biggest problem being lifting the head at big boost- 50 + psi. Rips studs out of the block. Supra guys had similar problems at big boost, theres always a way to fix things.

R32 with a HKS 2.8, built head, and GT42R was a fun street car. 600 whp at 15-16 psi or so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts