GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had their wheel(s) refurbished by MH? would just like to know how just one wheel would turn out v's the original wheel on the same side? I need convincing that the paint finish will be the same

I've requested at concierge collection that they use wheel covers during collected but they advised that RAC insist on NOT to using wheel covers. Guess what, incurred damage to bumper during collection & damage to wheel during delivery - the wheel incident 'could' have been avoided:mad:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone had their wheel(s) refurbished by MH? would just like to know how just one wheel would turn out v's the original wheel on the same side? I need convincing that the paint finish will be the same

I've requested at concierge collection that they use wheel covers during collected but they advised that RAC insist on NOT to using wheel covers. Guess what, incurred damage to bumper during collection & damage to wheel during delivery - the wheel incident 'could' have been avoided:mad:
Not another one in the space of a week! Very sorry to hear it. The RAC might have shyed away from using wheel covers because they reckon it was some grit inside the wheel covers that scratched mine (all four). My car was only three weeks old so now the RAC (or the subcontractor) have a bill for £4.5k worth of new wheels.

How old is the car? There's now precedence that Nissan will replace wheels when damaged in transport if the car is new enough. I had to argue for three days and threaten solicitors to get mine though.

Before they agreed to the new wheels, MH claimed to "good results" with wheel re-furbs.

Hope it's sorted to your satisfaction.

Jon

·
Registered
59 Posts
duka - I have had my wheels refurbished by MH, they are due to try again shortly! Part of a concierge SAGA.

A little background - I had my car collected back in July for it's 1200 mile service, thought this was great service, Aberdeenshire to St Helens. Sadly the RAC decided in their wisdom to sub the job to some cowboys from out west (Aberdeen) who arrive to collect the car with an Isuzu Trooper and a car trailer, I was in South Africa at the time so did not see the vehicle being loaded. Anyway the vehicle arrived back at the end of that week, from the same subcontractor before I got back from S.A. and all 4 wheels had strap damage. In addition the perforated leather on the side bolster of the drivers seat was damaged and there was a minor scratch on the centre console along with grubby hand marks on the steering wheel and door handles. I contacted MH at the beginning of the next week and they placed a claim through Nissan GB. It was agreed that the wheels would be refurbished, they claimed as good as new and that the seat would be replaced, considerable 4 figure sum. They collected the vehicle on the 24th August to do the "repair" work, this time using a different subcontractor, who to be fair seemed OK. Agian I was not present when they loaded the vehicle but my wife assured me that all the wheels had covers placed on them before being strapped.
The vehicle was delivered back to me on the 28th August, again I was not present but this time the delivery driver insisted on pointing out that the vehicle had been damaged when he collected it from MH and did I want the vehicle returned immediately for further repair(he had just driven 400 miles to deliver it). I decided at this point to leave the car at my home address so I could view the damage myself. I checked the damage v the delivery sheet from the contractor, where he had marked that, on collection from MH, all 4 wheels had paint damage/scratches(this had been pointed out to someone at MH, who said of F*** and proceeded to clean/polish the wheels with a cloth, so much for Quality Control. In addition to the wheel damage they (don't know who) managed to scratch the drivers sill and damage the front splitter.
I took some photographs and contacted MH, sent them a copy of the delivery note, they again contacted Nissan who finally approved another claim, I got a new job reference etc. etc. I have not yet had the car repaired, would you ever trust the concierge service again! but am planning to have the work done along with the 6 month service in the next week or two, this time I will drive the vehicle down to MH, agree damage/repair methods and inspect the vehicle post repair.

I am planning in future to have my car serviced etc at Nobles after driving it there myself.

To cap it all last week I received a letter from Tom White at Nissan GB.

"Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the colour mismatch on your Storm White GT-R. It is my understanding that this issue has been resolved and the vehicle returned to you. If this is not the case, or if you wish to discuss any aspect of the vehicle, or the service which you have received, please do not hesitate to contact me."

I contacted Tom White to enquire about my "colour" problem, which I have not complained about, and he said he had obviously made a mistake in the letter to me and that it should have referred to the wheel, front splitter and sill repair, he thought, as MH had been authorised to do the repairs.

Estimated avoidable repair costs and counting, all due to carelessness, circa 6-7k. With new wheels 10-12k.

I have kept quiet on the above until now, but only think it is fair to inform others of my experiences so theY can decide for themselves whether or not to use the concierge service.

·
Registered
297 Posts
maybe worth writing and complaining to nissan direct and asking them what the hell is happening here as this is 1 of many i have read about so far.

Is there anything we can buy to protect our wheels when they come to collect our cars ie.covers etc?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm due for my 6k service next month and was intending to have it collected but now I'm seriously considering doing the 200 mile round trip myself!

·
Registered
760 Posts
I had mine picked up for its optimisation and delivered back, from Benfield Newcastle a few months ago without any issues. The guy didn't use wheel covers but instead fed the ratchet tie downs so that the webbing ran flat to the tyre (ie in line with the car's sill, rather than perpendicular to it. This obviously meant no contact at all with the wheels and no damage.

However, I suspect this method would not be as secure in the event the truck had to swerve or was itself involved in a shunt during transit. But, to be honest if that happened a scratched rim would be the least of your worries.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's only my first post here, and I don't know the strappin-down practise in UK, but it seems very odd that you would have any damage from strapping the car on a flatbed or even a trailer as the straps shouldn't go anywhere near the alloys themselves on properly strapped down car. We usually only trailer only rally-cars ourselves but still they would always be strapped down around the tyre not the ally as any other method changes wheel geometry on the car. Can someone post a photo how is it done usually in UK? Never heard of wheels covers either...

By the way - we had a GT-R transported twice by our contractor as well and no problems with strapping down without damaging anything, actually it's quite easy as compared to racing cars, only problem is that it's quite big so you have to have big enough trailer/flatbed.

Jakub

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have looked through the photos I have here and can't find any where you can see straps holding the car on the trailer.

You can see them for a moment on this youtube vid YouTube - 4Turbo.pl w drodze na Wyścig Górski when the camera shows rear wheels of our rallycars. The strap goes around the tyre and holds the tyre down to the trailer. It's fixed in place with two hooks to the floor of the trailer. It's same method as employed on the auto-transporter lorries.
I hope this explains something.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hi Azrael.

That's a perfect pic of how it should be done! Now who has one of a strap going through the wheel across the painted wheel!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks SG

Prashan,
firstly you dont live very far from your HPC so do you Realy need the car picked up also you enjoy comeing in to BOTHER me:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: whitch I dont have a problem with and as I said it seems to be a bigger Issue in the north with the RAC than in the South as the the Contractors we have comeing in look after the cars very well:thumbsup: But it is an issue I will rase at the Next HPC meeting (When all the HPC Dealers Get together with NUK):thumbsup:
Agreed ! :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Azrael.

That's a perfect pic of how it should be done! Now who has one of a strap going through the wheel across the painted wheel!

Much worse for suspension then wheels though!
I wouldn't go through the wheel on a car with rubber joints in suspension. Really stupid idea!!! Just don't let anyone do it other way then shown here and you'll be fine with the wheels.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just don't let anyone do it other way then shown here and you'll be fine with the wheels.
Unfortunately, in both cases there were no holes on the floor of the trailer to secure in this manner.

Madwelshman, at collection the driver said that the RAC said no covers and if the customer insisted they would not up lift the car - the driver took about 40 minutes loading the car on and taking GREAT care when installing the straps.

The return driver said that the mark was present at the HPC upon uplift, the HPC are saying in wasn't, but have offered to refurbish the wheel (& the bumper - which is another story!).

Round trip from my house to MH is about 700 miles, I have now decided I don't want the wheels painted (refurbished) as there is no way they're ever be as good as factory finish, or 'possibly' look different with surface finish/shade. Looks like I'll have to consider driving to Nobles which about 280 miles round trip as I don't want more damage incurred to the car using the concierge service.

To say I'm very pi$$ed off with my options is an understatement.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I have a flat bed lorry for collecting cars and in no way would the car get strapped across the wheel.

I am collecting a GTR tomorrow and will post up a full pic to show the exact way of strapping.

Robbie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts