GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
( Apologies for asking so many questions, but the search tool doesn't let you enter keywords shorter than 4 chars, like AP R34 KIT etc)

Anywho.. who out there has fitted 17" rims to their R34 (for daily use or trackdays) ?

Given I go through £400-800 of tyres every 2 track days.. things are working out expensive (as I go to trackdays practically every week)

There are far more affordable 17" tyres (as low as £70 each) - I can even get some part worns for next to nothing..

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Offset

I think the offset is based on the rim width not the diameter; so if you go from 18x9 to 17x9 the offset should be the same.
I bet Shin knows the answer...

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
That is correct. You only need to ensure that the offset remains the same on whatever rim size/width wheel you get.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Wheel offset

I think the skyline has an odd offset +30 I think (presumably to accomodate the brakes), hence the problem with getting after-market wheels. One option might be to go for an after-market wheel with a more "normal" offset and then use spacers (bolt on type) to make the offset large enough for the wheel to fit.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Hey geezajob, I kow its totally of the subject but whats the supercharged exige like? How much power has it got? My cousin looked very seriously at getting one not looking ago but then decided on an Accord Type R because he had a kid.

Rob

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The supercharged Exige is "sufficiently fast" [;)]

It knocks out 270bhp (~340 per tonne)

While straight line speed is good, it comes into it's own in the corners, due to lots of downforce and low CoGravity.

Checkout the upcoming CCC magazine (12 April) which my car is pitted against 12 other "Ultimate Track Cars".

I think it does rather well !

·
Registered
326 Posts
Geezajob,

The Exige sounds phenomenal, I drove one a few months ago and did really like it, but couldn't justify having one when the Noble arrives I thought they would be too similar, that was just a standard 192bhp one, ooohh but a supercharged one sounds very tasty, it would put the performance right up there with the Noble. I could now be swayed, could I ask where you got it supercharged?, I know B.B.R. did a turbo version for the Elise which is meant to be good.

Also have you driven a Noble, if so how do you think they would compare?

cheers
Si

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I considered a Noble, but I was put off by the guy at the Noble stand at the Autosport show.

I asked him how it handled on the track, and he emphasised that it was a road car that could be used on the track, but not at home there..

I also asked him about what downforce the car had, he said he didn't know (nobody knew) and that it didn't matter as it had enough power (which is a nonsensical argument)

With more weight and a lower power-weight ratio, I figured it'd be more bulky than the TT Exige.

Still, it's horses for courses and everyone has their own preferences and application for their car.

The car was supercharged at TurboTechnics, who have been supercharging Elises for a while (although mine was the first 260/270 conversion)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Geezajob,

You must have been unlucky, I am not sure who you spoke to at the autosport show, but by the answers did seem unhelpful, Personally I would have been a bit miffed also. I first saw the car at the Autosport show about one and a half years ago, I was invited down to look at the car with my business partner by the garage I was dealing with, and on the stand was Lee Noble and Tony Moy, the people behind the Car, and they really couldn't have been more helpful, were also very easy to talk too.

You are right the noble isn't a super featherweight like the Exige and 340bhp/ton is a hell of a power to weight, but on driving it it is far from bulky, slighlty smaller than a 911 or 355, but still light at 980kg and packing a hefty punch at 320bhp giving it 321bhp/ton the performance is serious, 0-60 in 3.7 sec 0-100 in 9.4. It really handles like a dream as well, very controlable, from what other owners have told me the only thing quicker on a track is the Superlight R500 Caterham, which weighing only 460kg and 230bhp has an unbelievable 507bhp/ton, which nothing gets close too.

My advice, if you get the chance, drive one, I know most of the dealers have a demonstror now, so it not the factory test drive anymore they really do shame a lot of cars that are a lot more money. You may be tempted to add another car to the collection.

As for me and the Exige, I am very tempted, the noble isn't due til september, I could get one as a stop gap, I know they are about 25k second hand, which isn't bad and if the conversion is between 5-10k that would be a bargain, supercar, that I might keep. i am tempted to get rid of the 911 anyway when the noble arrives, which would leave an empty space in the garage, will just have to break it too the girlfriend, who drives it most any way;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts