GTR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals - I have to temporarily replace my wheels on my R32 GTST, while i save up to have them refurbed and re-tyred, and I am trying to figure out what i can get away with replacing them with.
Currently the rears are Racing Sparco 9 1/2 J x 18 plus some other numbers that are confusing me, namely 38 and EK A956. Is the 38 the offset?
They are shod with 225/40 x 18, so obviously I want to get some temp boots that won't affect my gearing etc - I would like to get similar sizing but I am assuming the offset has a big bearing on if they fit under the arches.
Of course, if anyone has a decent set for sale, I may well be interested :smokin:

Any help gratefully received

All the best, Nick

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
This is a good starting point - Changing tyres sizes - tyre size change calculator

If you fill in the details of the tyres you have you can see what other combos are possible with the same diameter of wheels.

Personally I wouldn't run 225 sections tyres on a 9.5" rim - that's quite a bit undersized!

Also I know that a 9.5" rim with an offset of 12mm is perfect for an R32 GTR. Assuming that the hubs are the same then you'd want an offset 20-30mm bigger than this (ie 32-42) with the narrower GTS arches which is probably what your wheels are. You are probably close to the inner limit for your wheels clouting the struts/arches but I don't know GTS's so take that with a pinch of salt.

Assuming that you want to keep the same size of tyres - 225/40R18 - then something like 18x8 wheels would be the thing to go for.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Cris... I have ummed and arred over this and have decided to buy new wheels/tyres to replace what I have, rather than buy scruffy 2nd hand and refurb my Sparcos. I have found these, that have rather taken my fancy...

18" BLACK JADE R ALLOY WHEELS NISSAN SKYLINE GTS+ TYRES on eBay (end time 17-Mar-10 10:56:03 GMT)

I have done the offset calculations etc and they don't seem to move the rims out very much at all, 15mm at the front and 8mm at the rear, over the offset I already have. Just waiting to hear from the seller to clarify this....

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Assuming that your current wheels are 9.5" and ET38 then the new ones are 8.5" and ET35 the difference will be very small. 3mm less offset pushes the wheel out 3mm which you'd struggle to notice. The tyres are 235 rather than 225 so the inner tyre edge will be 2mm (net) further in and the outer edge will be 8mm (net) further out.

Rolling radius is a touch bigger. Unlikely to be a problem unless you're already over.

I suspect that your Sparcos are probably better wheels than the ebay items. On the other hand 8.5" sounds like a much better size for the tyres you're using.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, Cris,
I'm about to buy new rims for my 1996 R33. I have to be honest, I don't know much about offset, ET, etc. The only thing I know is I need 114.3 pcd. So, what is the best fit for my car? 19" or 18"? 9J, 9.5J or 10J? ET? (what is is anyway?) Please help? I'll appreciate it. Thanks, Bevan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts