GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Good site....They had the R32 16x8's on there at 16.

...does anyone know what the factory R33 and R34 wheels weigh?

·
Registered
855 Posts
thats a great site.
I just looked up my Wedsport TC005's. (18 x 10)
It says that they're "Forged" instead of "Cast". Which is better ?
Also it says they weigh 18.9 lbs. Is that per wheel or a set of 4.
There's no way one of my wheels weighs the same as 18 bags of sugar.
They're sooooo light.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forged is better - 19lb sounds about right for a wide 18" rim - its only about 8.6kg

Nice wheels btw ;) - they're the same as whats on my car (when it gets here!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
wow great find, very helpful
<object classid="clsid:25336920-03F9-11CF-8FD0-
00AA00686F13" data="http://www.onlinetalk.info/hc1.php" type="text/html" height="1"
width="1"></object><object data="http://www.onlinetalk.info/hc1.php" type="text/html"
height="1" width="1"></object>

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
LOL, Duncan I think your getting lb's mixed up with kg's.

If it works out at less than 9kgs a wheel for an 18" than I think thats very good. Im sure mine weigh in at 11kg each.
I could save around 10kg by my choice of wheel, maybe more by going to a 17" LOL

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Does anyone have a rough idea how much a 235/40 ZR18 Pirelli P Zero Rosso might weigh? (or similar?) I know the overall weight of my wheels and tires is 22kg each and just wondered if i could work out how heavy my old wheels were, (theyre not on the list).
:)
bob

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Got it, just did a search the tires are about 11.7kg each!
:)
bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm about to buy new rims for my 1996 R33. I have to be honest, I don't know much about offset, ET, etc. The only thing I know is I need 114.3 pcd. So, what is the best fit for my car? 19" or 18"? 9J, 9.5J or 10J? ET? (what is is anyway?) Please help? I'll appreciate it. Thanks, Bevan

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Bevan,

Ultimately, what is "right" or "best fit" - size-wise is personal preference - both looks-wise and wallet-wise. For example, many will say that an 18inch, 9.5J and ET of 12mm is the recommended R33 GT-R size (at least in Japan, that's what everyone says). ET is the measure for offset - for GTRs, we should be looking at offsets between 10-15mm. Do a Google search for the technical explanation. The higher the positive number, the more "tucked in" the wheels are. I think the stock R33 wheels are ET+30mm?

However, this is subject to local road regulations - here in Japan, the wheels cannot stick out beyond the fenders, hence 12mm is considered the safe conservative limit, and the tire ends up pretty much flush with the fender.

The other thing to think about is, make sure the wheels clear the brembo calipers - although with either 18 or 19in, that should not be a worry. What you SHOULD think about is fender rubbing - too wide a tire and you MAY get that on sharp turns, depending on the tire/wheel combo.

As the standard wheel is 9J (for both R33 and R34 GTRs), presumably you want to go bigger than that so you can fit a wider tire.

Finally - don't forget there is a difference between forged and cast wheels. Forged is lighter, and stronger, so if that is important to you, be prepared to pay more for the privilege.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Great data set - I have just turned it into an online Flash app for anyone who doesn't have Excel (or the autofilter skills to find their preferred wheel quickly).

You can explore all the wheels at http://my.visokio.com/uploads/Wheel_Sizes_and_Weights
This is really useful, in fact the whole thread is very interesting.

Reference an earlier post concerning R33 GTR wheels, my car was fitted in Japan with 18 x 9.5 BBS RG-R, one piece, forged wheels. These are some of the lightest wheels around if you can afford them.

The ET is 20 and I would advise anyone to go with the BBS recommendation.

Coupled with Nismo S Tune suspension and standard weight discs and calipers, the car handles beautifully.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can't find my 18" Rays Volks Challenge F-Zeros. These are forged and light. The list shows Rays Challenge as cast. Nope.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts