GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so before people reply "SEARCH!" - read my question....

car in question is a GTR, ergo the requirement for same wheel & tire specs front to rear.

however, if you were to fit staggered wheels, but with the same offset and tire size, would the same rules apply, or would it be ok??

as an example, front 9" wheel at +22 offset, rear 10" wheel, +22 offset. So the inner rim of the rear wheel will be 13mm further inboard, and the outer lip of the rim will be 13mm further outboard! If the same size tires are fitted, the tire will still be centered over the CL of the hub, no difference to diameter or circumference, therefore should not cause issues with ATTESSA etc. and therefore no impact to handling.

discuss.

·
Registered
131 Posts
With regards to ATTESSA, the main consideration is to make sure you have the same rolling diameter all round. Otherwise, you will have one axle turning slower than the other and possibly upsetting the 4 wheel drive.
By having staggered wheels, you need to have a larger profile percentage on the front compared to the rear, as it is a percentage of the width (This is assuming you are putting the wider pair of wheels on the back).

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
If the tyres are the same size then the only problem would be that the tyres would be stretched onto one set of rims (probably the back ones). This would change the RR a little bit and potentially make the rear rims smaller diameter than the fronts.

Would it make any difference? Depends on the tyre sizes and how far out the smaller/bigger rim was from the ideal rim size.

Can I ask what the point is? Have you found some second hand rims and you want to buy.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cris is right - there is a nice set of Blitz racing wheels for sale here, but the fronts are 8" and the rears 9" - I don't plan to buy them, but it got me thinking about whether it could be done or not.

Some people have suggested using different width/profile tires to achieve the same rolling radius, and others have suggested that 'stretching' the same size tire onto the wider rims will cause handling issues with regards to sidewall flex etc.

So really it's just a hypothetical question - but I'm curious and there's nothing like a bit of technical debate!

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
I'd stay away from stretched tyres - can't be better than having the right sized tyres.

To my mind you're better off trying to match the RR with properly sized tyres/rims. It seems that some people have done this. Again beyond looks the only advantages I can see are that the fronts would be a bit lighter (perhaps less drag too) and might give more feel.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
ATTESSA is solely interested in rolling circumference (or revs per mile or kilometre as some makers cite it). Mixing these can be very bad for the health of the centre diff!! Offset and wheel and tyre WIDTH are an unknown quantity to it. Offset is very important to handling though, especially at the front. A wider rear tyre and rim may well make the car understeer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts