GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just tried on some wheels I recently bought, they came with standard tyres and as I suspected I have some problems :(, so I would be pleased to receive from you lads and lassies here, some advice/comment both techie and aesthetic on my dilemma, see HERE, there maybe a prize for a cheap winning solution :D

Cheers

RonS

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Hi Ron. Wheels look good on car:)
If it makes you feel better, mine rub:(
I have big spacers so getting spacers machined.
I would just change the tyres:)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Machining the wheels will seriously reduce the strength of the wheel and put more undue force onto the lugs, which could in extreme circumstances snap.

As for pulling the arch lip out, this may be the solution but be aware tat the inner sill is rather stong and you may deform it, which may cause more hassle.

I was told of a drastic way to do it, but this is so drastic that it hurts just thinking about it, involves saws and welding..... nuff said.

Apparently so Ive been told, so dunno if its true, but you can get tyres that curve inwards berfore the tread, kinda like a flatened trianle, know what I mean? So u could get a 225, but the tread is only 215 wide.... dont ask me where u get em from though.

Hope this helps, should see mine it looks like a dune buggy !!! They stick out about 1 inch!!!!

Si

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers

Thanks all... Inspired by the Peugeot ad on TV, I attacked the rear arches with me copper hammer and grips... managed to 'adjust' the lips up a tad which seems to have worked, well for 'normal' road use at least, will test it more rigorously soon :)

Had a look also at the possibility of machining some off the wheel boss but, as mentioned, there's not much 'meat' on them :(

Will also consider 45 profile tyres once I've used up what's left on the current one's, so may not be long now :D

RonS

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Why don't you try rolling the arch lip with a piece of scaffolding pipe? Just put 50psi in the tyres, heat the paint a bit, put the pole between arch and tyre, two fat friends in the boot and slowly roll the car backwards and forwards. Or get it done properly - I know some Halfords/Ripspeed places have the machine.

Phil

·
Registered
905 Posts
How much did u need to knock them out Ron? And how much doid u manage to knock them out by?

Philip - Are u serious, can that be done?????

SI

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Si,

I probably bent the lips by around 10mm, as it happens the nearside one was not square, it pointed down somewhat thus exposing the edge to the tyre, I've not pushed out the wing at all, well not on purpose anyway :)

It still looks mighty tight, but as I said it seems OK in 'normal' driving... so far, I'll try a few speed humps and see ;)

RonS

PS got the scaffold pole, its 4M so should be long enough :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts