GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so far as I can tell, the Bosch wideband sensor connected to my Powerdex AFX wideband seems to still be working fine, responds quickly and logically to changes in fueling. However, it has been permanently installed in my exhaust for two and a half years. Although it still calibrates spot on in free air, is it well past retirement age?

I've got a fresh NTK wideband ready to swap in. Just wondering though what a dying wideband sensor behaves like...erratic readings (scaled wrong, or jumping all over?), hard power-sapping warmup times?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Wideband normally loses the plot when its dead with no readings and if I remember correctly prompts the ECU to run the engine rich. Race fuel typically kills them because it can have lead in it, your Tol is probably helping keep it clean.

They can be cleaned up with lemon juice, but once they are on the slippery slope it becomes a question of when not if. Also, if the fuelling does go off the cost of wasted fuel can quickly pay for a new one anyway.

NTK is NOT as good as Bosch sensor. Get a Bosch, they are only about £100 you tight wad!

DaveG

·
Registered
792 Posts
I would generally change it every year at least.

I am using 14point7.com kit and I can see how far it is from new calibration wise so I will know when it is dead.

The bosch lsu 4.2 can be bought for £30 over here new, The 2004-> vw polos come with it. Cheap enough to replace every year.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the NTK is the better actual sensor - even though the Powerdex is marketed by NGK, they actually ship with a Bosch sensor to save money.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
NTK is NOT as good as Bosch sensor. Get a Bosch, they are only about £100 you tight wad!

DaveG
NTK sensors are much more accurate than the bosch ones, much faster response and about 3-4times the cost lol.

I usually find the reading starts to differ from what you would expect, on the same car all the time i would expect it to be quite clear when there is a problem as you get used to seeing X afr etc etc. Plus you will know what you set your AFRs to... so if they drift.

Rob

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
right then, my Bosch is toasted. I've been getting weird readings...and then mapping to try to correct it :( NTK goes in today, five minute job.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Do u have a NTK controller?

Rob

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yessir, the NTK 24302 sensor is plug and play as an "upgrade" (although since the controller is cheap as chips dunno what real effect it'll have) to the Powerdex AFX.

I know my fueling map is good, and I'm off O2 feedback, so after running around today with that in mind, I think the sensor has drifted, reading rich about a whole point or 1.5 or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts