GTR Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as many of you already know my car was only bought last week and driven for less than 2 days before going for warranty work it was from a dealer.

I checked the car over using the checklist i built up from here, checked the tyres as best i could without any tools or ramps and walked away with the sale.

Car is in middlehurst now, and the tyres are bald on the inner edge, to a point of no tread. Pics below from Middlehurst. Where do i stand with this, i understand as a private sale its all bought as is, but from a dealer do they have a responsibility to sell the car with certain road legal requirements?

I have emailed the dealer and sent messages but they have not responded to anything so far.

·
Premium Member
13,361 Posts
Did you ask the dealer at the time of viewing the car what the tyre condition was? These cars are renowned for eating tyres from the inner shoulders out so it should've been on your list of things to check. I think you will have to swallow it and bear the cost of new tyres. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you ask the dealer at the time of viewing the car what the tyre condition was? These cars are renowned for eating tyres from the inner shoulders out so it should've been on your list of things to check. I think you will have to swallow it and bear the cost of new tyres. Sorry.
Yes, i did ask him, tyres and brakes, he simple resoponded, everything is good!

Im ready to bear the brunt of cost of new tyres, and i ran my hand as far down etc trying to check and turning the wheel.

Middlehurst have not checked the brakes yet so i dread to find out i need new brakes also :(

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mine went in for the last service thought all tyres were ok as they'd done maybe 5k miles .
The guys rang up saying the 2 front on the inner shoulders were nearly on the canvas and needed two new reo70's and backs were fine .

The car had been tracked/lined by nissan when the tyres went on which when checked when fitting the new tyres was way off the guys said and that was the reason they wore so much .
The previous tyres when I changed all 4, the 2 front ones were keep as they weren't to bad opposite to what happened after nissan tracked/lined it .

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
As a consumable,you will have to foot the bill.

GT-Rs use an aggressive camber set up and will wear tyres on the inside edges you really needed to jack it up/put on ramp to have a good look.

·
Registered
462 Posts
tyres

Im afriad you are all incorrect, under the sale of goods act any product has to be fit for the purpose. You will have to prove the tyres are illegal but the road traffic act does not allow you to drive with illegal tyres. As such it does not meet the sale of goods act. When my father had a sales sight we were prosecuted by weights and measures for offering a car on a forecourt with defective(bald)tyres. We had not sold the car just offered for sale. Sorry but if dealer doesnt reply just get office of fair trading involved. Also see if hes a member of the SMMT.
In all honesty I would hate to sell you a car, but he took your money and now has to live with the grief

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Limo is right, i been in contact with legal, and they tell me its the dealers responsibility to make sure the car is road legal and road worthy for the buyer, its not down to the buyer. They gave me an example, if a 70 year old lady wanted to buy a used Honda Jazz from a dealer, you would not be expecting her to get down on her hands and knees checking tyres.

Well the dealer has phoned me, and is visiting Middlehurst in the morning to inspect the tyres, as the rears are fully legal, he said hes willing to help put something towards the front so its something :)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I doubt you can prove they were bald/illegal at the point of sale.

If the trader is decent he will offer a contribution towards a new set, but in all honesty you should have checked them better, it's not hard with a torch and lying on the floor.

You should have checked the discs and pads too, the whole lot could add 4k on to the price of the car which makes it an expensive buy.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If dealer said they were ok why should you lay on floor to check ? buyer beware most gtrs wear inside of fronts even after setting up.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I doubt you can prove they were bald/illegal at the point of sale.

If the trader is decent he will offer a contribution towards a new set, but in all honesty you should have checked them better, it's not hard with a torch and lying on the floor.

You should have checked the discs and pads too, the whole lot could add 4k on to the price of the car which makes it an expensive buy.
Yep, fully agree.

Basically though, when i get the car back, going to have 4 brand spanking new tyres, service, new mot, repaired gearbox with the extra bits to make it stronger , 2013 bellhousing and a stage 1 to boot, im trying to look on the positive side :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
You could have bought a full blown 32gtr for all your expense. Follow the experts lol . Enjoy your car when its back, take it easy.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
If dealer said they were ok why should you lay on floor to check ? buyer beware most gtrs wear inside of fronts even after setting up.
Well maybe it's just me but I would want to know how they've worn and how much tread is on each tyre, I even check the age of the tyres when I buy a car :)

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Im afriad you are all incorrect, under the sale of goods act any product has to be fit for the purpose. You will have to prove the tyres are illegal but the road traffic act does not allow you to drive with illegal tyres. As such it does not meet the sale of goods act. When my father had a sales sight we were prosecuted by weights and measures for offering a car on a forecourt with defective(bald)tyres. We had not sold the car just offered for sale. Sorry but if dealer doesnt reply just get office of fair trading involved. Also see if hes a member of the SMMT.
In all honesty I would hate to sell you a car, but he took your money and now has to live with the grief
Interesting,but surely the dealer could argue that at point of sale the tyres were fine,and cannot be held responsible for how the car has been driven since.

Also i think the tyres pictured are still legal only 75% of the tyre needs to have 1.6mm tread depth.

·
Registered
462 Posts
tyres

You are all missing the point, a dealer does not have to declare a car has been damaged or a write off, but if you ask the question he has to tell you to the best of his knowledge. With tyres it is the dealer who is classed as an expert,the buyer could have no knowledge(Dean) of cars at all.totally down to the dealer, he could argue as a second hand car it does not have new tyres so could only in theory make a contribution:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are all missing the point, a dealer does not have to declare a car has been damaged or a write off, but if you ask the question he has to tell you to the best of his knowledge. With tyres it is the dealer who is classed as an expert,the buyer could have no knowledge(Dean) of cars at all.totally down to the dealer, he could argue as a second hand car it does not have new tyres so could only in theory make a contribution:thumbsup:
Exactly, im useless as you all know with cars, this why going to a dealer i thought was a safer bet for a more unknowing buyer like myself, and in that i had faith that the dealer did the leg work of making sure the car was roadworthy. But you live and learn.

·
Administrator
31,757 Posts
The burden of proof is on Dean to prove they weren't legal at the time of sale. I hope he's not posted any Launch Video's on Facebook ;)

I suppose it could be argued it's difficult to wear out tyres when your car is only on the road when on the back of a Tow truck. Saves fuel though ;)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The burden of proof is on Dean to prove they weren't legal at the time of sale. I hope he's not posted any Launch Video's on Facebook ;)

I suppose it could be argued it's difficult to wear out tyres when your car is only on the road when on the back of a Tow truck. Saves fuel though ;)
Very true, i had it less than 2 days, the flckr data also confirms no excessive use etc etc

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.