GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a electrical wire that gives power from the alternator to the battery thats busted.

Not sure were to get hold of it new, any sugestions or anybody got one laying around? :)

Cheers

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Can you not remove the crimps from the housing and re-wire them?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
I believe that that is the fusable (SP?) link. Sits right on top of the battery. It's designed to burn out if overloaded.

Question 1 why has it overloaded?

Question 2 where to get one?

I built my own fusable link when I was relocating my battery. I did so by utilising a Megafuse (or maybe a maxi fuse - it's in my picture thread somewhere). Or you could reuild it within out the fusable bit (which I did for testing purposes). Though that would only be a short term 'fix' whilst looking at Question 1 I would suggest.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Cris

That's right, I have also relocated my battery.

1. I guess the reason the reason it has overloaded is because a earthfailure on the alternator, the plast/rubber isolation bit was not on when battery was connected. Some other things also got burned in the prosess.

But I have seen other R32s with damaged fl,maybe because of ther and wear.

2. Im in contact with skyline spares, not sure but maybe they can get me one.

You got a link to the picture thread?

I believe that that is the fusable (SP?) link. Sits right on top of the battery. It's designed to burn out if overloaded.

Question 1 why has it overloaded?

Question 2 where to get one?

I built my own fusable link when I was relocating my battery. I did so by utilising a Megafuse (or maybe a maxi fuse - it's in my picture thread somewhere). Or you could reuild it within out the fusable bit (which I did for testing purposes). Though that would only be a short term 'fix' whilst looking at Question 1 I would suggest.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Hi Cris

That's right, I have also relocated my battery.

1. I guess the reason the reason it has overloaded is because a earthfailure on the alternator, the plast/rubber isolation bit was not on when battery was connected. Some other things also got burned in the prosess.

But I have seen other R32s with damaged fl,maybe because of ther and wear.

2. Im in contact with skyline spares, not sure but maybe they can get me one.

You got a link to the picture thread?
If you have relocated your battery you don't need the fusable link, you can replace it with a 'normal' fuse.

My original pictures seem to have been lost to the internet winds of time.

Here are a couple of pictures of the location of where the battery usually sits. The first picture shows the juntion box I use to distribute power to the alternator etc.

This picture shows the junction box with the lid off. Wiring to the left is headlight wiring and pretty much in the centre of picture is the fuse (black splash proof).

If it's of interest I got the fuse holder here - VWP - fuse holders 1

Scroll down to Maxi-blade fuse holders. I forget which size of Maxi-fuse I put in (I bought a couple in case they were blowing). My idea was it would be easy to replace them if a problem appeared. Of course I've never had a problem so maybe not worthwhile...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Skyline-spares wanted 55$+ shipping for the part, so i think your solution is the one to go with.

Thanks Cris! ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts