GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive a totally standard r33 gtr vspec and am looking at modding it, starting with the obvious modifications, have a look and tell me what you think of my choices:

blitz nurspec exhaust with decat,
hks ssqv bov,
blitz sus air filters,
hks boost controller,
remap of the ecu (remapper undecided yet)

thats probably it for now until i can get a grasp on modifying the internals of the engine.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
sounds like a pretty good line-up of parts, there. Once it's all done, you should be knocking on the door of 400bhp at the flywheel, running no more than 1BAR boost (if the turbo's are still standard, too).

It's debatable whether or not to bother with SSQV dump valves, I personally wouldn't bother with them, but others here would.:)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know on the gts's there is a problem with stalling due to the addition of filters and bov's and you need to install a afr to compensate for this, do the gtr's have similar problems?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
chrisskyline said:
i know on the gts's there is a problem with stalling due to the addition of filters and bov's and you need to install a afr to compensate for this, do the gtr's have similar problems?
my old GTST never had a problem. I know what you are referring to and has been mentioned on many occassions on the board, if you use a HKS SSQV you don't get the problem. Its with the cheaper bov's that this can occur

I have twin SSQV's and never has my car stalled because of them

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
List

Add a decent downpipe to your list...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Upgrade

Hi Chris,

I wouldn't waste the money on the Bovs.

Personally
Good set of plugs (NGK / Greedy in 7 or 8)
Down pipes will give best power result with a good Exhaust and de-cat
Blitz or apexi induction kit
Ideally a 1 bar ECU (The MINE's ECU is good)

Don't rev it above 7500rpm I would look at fitting a oil cooler next if it is not a UK spec car.

Happy days... It livens the car up nicely maybe worth getting one of the Skylab torque controllers they definately help. Start saving for a good clutch

Kev

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
s'ok i looked them both up, lol, i think ill stick with the boost controller, i dont drive my gtr in the wet anyway so dont have a real need for the torque controller.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
chrisskyline said:
s'ok i looked them both up, lol, i think ill stick with the boost controller, i dont drive my gtr in the wet anyway so dont have a real need for the torque controller.

The boost controller lets you set the boost levels you want to run. The torque split controller lets you play withe 4wd system.

The torque split controller is fun. The boost controller is dangerous in the wrong hands.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
chrisskyline said:
i hear 1bar boost is the most you should go on the standard gtr turbos anyway which is only 0.1bar more than it runs as standard, how much truth is in this?

There is no real hard and fast number on when the turbo will break. The higher the boost, the higher the turbine wheel speed. The higher the speed the more forced placed on the fragile bond between the metal shaft and ceramic exhaust wheel.

Detonation, too much boost, will snap the wheel off. Heres 3rd gear,a chunked #6 piston, and a snapped off exhaust wheel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts