GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Doing a rebuild cause of issues with the stock oil pump. I was thinking of switching to the N1 oil pump but there seems to be some issues with failure on that pump. I want to go with either Jun, Tomei, Nismo, HKS, etc... but its seems they are all high volume. Therefore if they are high volume it seems they will suck the sump dry. So what is the best option? I don't want to extend the sump as the car will see some street driving and with the speed bumps and roads here I don't want any issues with a low hanging sump.

Thanks
Mitch

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I'm sticking with the standard pump with my circa 500bhp R32.

I have fitted an oil restrictor and drilled out the oil return holes, plus have an accusump.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
it depends what kind of power and rpm you will be running?!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My goal for now is 550-600whp. I would like headroom though for more power. My redline should be around 9000rpm. The car will also be tracked probably 10 times a year. I want a reliable oil pump but don't want to extend the sump.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
high rpm is what kills em. Why do you want to rev so high? If you want to rev to 9k you need to balance the bottom end and a tomi or jun oil pump at the very least. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Whack a new crank damper on there aswell. I'm not sure a standard pump will like 9k

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, forgot to mention. The engine is being blueprinted and it will have a fully balanced rotating a assembly (includes all rotating parts, flywheel and clutch also).

I have also already ordered the big ATi Damper (good for 1000hp). I have also ordered tomei baffle plates, and a tomei restrictor. I will be fabricating a rear drain from the head and also a drain from the oil catch can.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I don't think the standard oil pump will supply enough pressure to protect the bearing running 600whp and those revs, so you will need to fit a Tomei or Jun pump.

If you don't want to fit a deeper sump pan, maybe an Accusump will suffice, which essentially is an extra sump just relocated elsewhere, which if the oil pressure drops, it releases oil into the engine.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I don't think the standard oil pump will supply enough pressure to protect the bearing running 600whp and those revs, so you will need to fit a Tomei or Jun pump.

If you don't want to fit a deeper sump pan, maybe an Accusump will suffice, which essentially is an extra sump just relocated elsewhere, which if the oil pressure drops, it releases oil into the engine.

Cheers,
mark is right.
the general concensus for a build for 600 whp (allowing for headroom) reving to 9k rpm doing track work requires more than a standard or N1 pump. i would recommend a tomei oil pump with extended sump additional rear oil drain and head restrictors. extended sumps(baffled), accusumps and dry sump setups are not just a luxury that look good on a mod list, they are a necessity. in my opinion you need to pick one. extended sumps are not that cumbersome around town.

personally i would choose the extended sump anyday, and i live in hertfordshire (crap roads)

hope this helps
:thumbsup:kev

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Our big sumps are no lower than stock, run that along with a TOMEI pump, suitable restrictor to the head and you should be fine.

Personally I wouldn't be going on a track with a stock sump.

If you want a fully done sump or just a weld in kit PM or e-mail me.

Robbie.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Stock sump with which oil pump?

I think the extended sump is probably near the best option (short of dry sump). I wanted to avoid extending the sump just because my exhaust already touches speed bumps and my car isn't even that low.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I'm sticking with the standard pump with my circa 500bhp R32.

I have fitted an oil restrictor and drilled out the oil return holes, plus have an accusump.

Cheers,

i can't see why you would fit a restrictor with a standard pump ..?

·
Registered
726 Posts
tomei pump coz lve never hear of onr let go.
sump extention
restrictors to the head and also the turbos if they are bearing type.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Because at high revs I've heard even the standard pump can put too much oil in the head (say on track).

Cheers,
you sure about this because as you say you "heard from someone "

just the uprated pumps flow alot more oil so yes they can empty the sump
but you said you have done the return mod then you should have no problems with the standard pump
BUT if you are not getting enough oil to the head because of the restrictor which i am sure is designed for an uprated pump then the head will be scrap in about 3 minutes...!! all i'm saying mate is be sure ..for your own sake ..

·
Registered
397 Posts
I got a Nitto pump, sump extention. And do need restictors for my 2860 or else I will blow the seals out of them.

Restrictors or not allways needed. Best let the builder look at the whole package.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
you sure about this because as you say you "heard from someone "

just the uprated pumps flow alot more oil so yes they can empty the sump
but you said you have done the return mod then you should have no problems with the standard pump
BUT if you are not getting enough oil to the head because of the restrictor which i am sure is designed for an uprated pump then the head will be scrap in about 3 minutes...!! all i'm saying mate is be sure ..for your own sake ..
Hi Miragev,

Yes, I hope all the people recommending are correct, but they are engine builders (Sydneykid for example recommends 1.5mm for road use on a RB26 with standard oil pump).

Oil Control In Rb's For Circuit Drag Or Drift - Skylines Australia

Cheers,

Mark

1 - 20 of 23 Posts