GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I'm looking for some advise on which clutch to buy and possibly the best place to buy it from. I had a new master cylinder fitted this week and after picking the car up I noticed when giving the car full boost in 4th and 5th the engine spins suddenly from 4k to 6kish but the car doesn't actually go any where. I have never experienced clutch slip before but I think this is what is happening. The thing is I had new clutch plates when I bought the car and the car has done no more than 4k miles since, however I do live in London and I’ve read traffic kills them very quickly. Any way at the moment I'm running a Mines ECU with Nismo turbos and around 450hp as I still have standard AFM and injectors. I plan on getting a PFC in the future and a map of around 550hp. I also want the car to remain easy to drive as although I want to do track days next year I will be driving it on the road 99% of the time. Any help would be fantastic as I don't want tuners/online shops screwing me as I haven’t got a clue or endless money.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Nismo Twinplate CopperMix.....Transformed the car, very easy to drive (like a stock clutch)

....Just not easy on the wallet though....

·
Registered
652 Posts
Quite possible your pressure plate is not up to the task or the the plates are not quality material, I am assuming you have a twin plate set up, as you mentioned "plates". I am with the get more clutch than you possibly need club as mods are always forthcoming. Me personnaly I am going with the Carbonetics Type R carbon twin plate, with the carbon coated pressure plate and flywheel, and 1350Kgs of clamping force, rated for 700 to 800 HP. A friend mine runs the NISMO Super Coppermix Twin Plate strapped to a MINES engine and he has no problems putting it all down, clutch operation is easy on those two setups. Are you slipping the clutch to much to start out? To many hard launches? Your driving style could possibly be the culprit. If it is slipping at 4grand in fourth, I would say less than a month left before its gone. The NISMO will run around 180,000JPY to hold, the Carbonetics cost around 2400,000JPY to hold, one of these two would be a good choice. Don't skimp on the clutch with out it you can't go anywhere no matter how big your Turbo's or injectors or AFM's are. What kind of slave cylinder did you have installed NISMO or stock?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Can only go on my experience,and i would say OS giken,i had a twin plate that was great
for street driving and can take plenty of power.Now i use R3C tripple plate and again it is awesome,very useable on the street and can take some big power,give RB motorsport a ring,they are top guys. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys that’s a great help. New Era gave a price of around £1200 for the Nismo rated to 700hp so ill have a look and see how the price compares. I saw someone selling an HKS triple plate in the parts section for £800 rated to 1000hp but that probably wouldn't be great for driving on the road. I do have a twin plate at the moment yes. I don't do standing start launches though I wait until I'm moving before giving it full boost. The clutch at the moment is a TG twin plate, which I can’t find information on so don't know how good it is. I don't know what plates where put in whether they were TG or just an equivalent so maybe that would explain the wear.

Does anyone have an idea of labour time to have a new clutch fitted? I'm fearing £600+.....

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi there i had the same problem with my R32 GTR clutch slipping and i use my car alot in traffic and normal driving i'm running 400bhp so i had an EXCEDY single plate clutch which is 40% upgraded from the standard clutch.Drives superb and does not slip.
All the work was carried out by RK Tuning he is based near benfleet essex and is very reasonable on price well worth a phone call he's a top bloke for advise too.
Good luck with your clutch happy driving!
Matsky

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Matsky. Ron is they guy who'll I ask to do it I reckon. He's done all the recent work on my car and for a reasonable amount of money too. I'll give him a call tomorrow and get a quote. I might ask him to source the clutch too depending on price.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
The Nismo cylinder is NOT recomended with the twin plate Nismo clutches. the standard one is fine for the job

·
Registered
197 Posts
had my hks triple replaced by the nismo twin coppermix and couldnt beleive the difference,fantastic clutch easy on the foot and easy to pull away,labour cost was £217 which included top up fluids etc.you wont be dissapointed with this clutch.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys you've all been a big help. The Nismo seems to be the way to go. I've managed to get half the money so far and the labour costs are a lot less than I thought it so thats some good news. Trying to get hold of Ron at the moment but hes still closed for now. I saw on the Nismo site that the nismo slave cylinder isnt recomended with their clutch so at list I'll save around £80.

More bad news; I let my friend have a go in the car yesterday and when he came off a roundabout he went too close to the pavement on the corner and scraped both wheels on the passenger side! Obviously he is paying for the repairs and noone will ever drive my car again. Hope he relaises refurbring BBS LMs won't be cheap. :chairshot

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi I've had a word with Ron and he mentioned the OS Giken STR for the same price. Anyone know how these compare with the Nismo. I'm not sure what the STR is rated too in comparison to the Nismo. I will be going for 550hp in the future so it needs to be future proof....

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi I've had a word with Ron and he mentioned the OS Giken STR for the same price. Anyone know how these compare with the Nismo. I'm not sure what the STR is rated too in comparison to the Nismo. I will be going for 550hp in the future so it needs to be future proof....

Thanks again
hi im running the os giken twin plate ands its a good clutch easy enough on normall roads and rated to 600bhp, im running 420bhp and like to launch it, and the clutch just takes it in its stride no problem, hope that helps plus im sure its alittle cheaper than the nismo one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.