GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its that time, that i now need a new clutch, as this one is slipping on hard use!!!

Having done some research on here and otherwise, I've narrowed it down to the following:-
1. Nismo SuperCoppermix (3002B-RSR48)
2. ATS carbon (single or twin plate?)

Now I think the above part# for the Nismo one is the newer twin plate clutch, as they seem to have discontinued the older G-Max kits.

I'm leaning towards the Nismo due to it being less rattly (from my search on here) and also the carbon clutch seems to need to be bedded in for proper use. And even then, it seems to be a clutch for those who drive it like they stole it!!!

Can anyone who is using the above kits please give me some feedback, as this will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I have the Super Copper Mix twin and I love it. It is very "Street-able",
easy on the leg and can take some serious launches. It is not too tricky
in 1st gear take offs.

I drove Bean's R34 fitted with the ATS Carbon and it too was real easy,
not as easy as the NISMO but it felt good. I only drove his car less than
5 km, but from a dead start it was easy.

I am car sitting a R32 with a HKS twin and it is tricky and requires a lot
more pressure. I would not reccomend this clutch for daily driving.

The last clutch I have advise for is the OS Giken twin. Great clutch, can
take a lot of punishment. I think they now offer a carbon version.

The ATS and NISMO clutch choice is a hard one, but i think the NISMO one
is less expensive but a little easier for daily driving esp. in stop and go
traffic. In my R33 the clucth is so light, but in another friends car (R34)
it required more pressure but still managable without stalling. I guess it
depends from car to car, perhaps mine was fitted with a slave and the 34
was not - dont know for sure.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks hyrev for the detailed reply

I can understand what your trying to say.

Seems like the Nismo will be for me. But then again have heard the carbon will last longer than the Nismo. Plus I don't want to buy the Nismo when in reality I should have bought a carbon clutch. It's just there are more Nismo reviews on here than ATS!!!

I will be fitting the large operating cylinder along with the mesh clutch line, so this will make it even easier!!

Any more opinions?...

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
If you are having less than 600PS and you don't want to 'drive like you stole it' then the Nismo clutch is the one for you IMO.
Carbon clutches respond - in fact need - a little abuse...

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
How much hp and torque do you need the clutch to handle? The ATS twin carbon I have has slipped a few more times than I expected it would under full power (i.e. circa 80kgs/700whp), even when warm.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
PM sent ...

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will be running max. of 550bhp if that, and even that is later on, and i'm not 100% sure.

At the moment its just stage 1 mods, so around 380-400bhp. Don't worry Gio, it wont be 700 odd BHP!!! I'll leave those figures to you!!!

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
I love my ATS to bits and its by far the best out there having tried pretty much everything on the market. Nismo CM is the most similar one but I found it to be more snappy and I've heard horror stories of the copper discs lasting a few 1000 km. My ATS is on 22,000 Km and going strong. Shop that fitted it told me it is a great clutch but I should expect to change plates every 8-10,000 km....boy where they wrong!! And in case you are wondering I rape it on a very regular basis;-)

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input DCD

Anyone on here using the Nismo clutch experienced the above issue?

Changing the plates every 10k doesn't sound good!!! Plus you have to do the conversion from pull to push with the ATS?

Funny thing is the car has a uprated clutch on it at the moment, and i could just buy the refresh plates for it. But i don't know whats in there!!!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I had a Nismo twin and it too was noisy and a bit snatchy but not as bad as the HKS i had. I now have an OS Giken tripple plate and its by far the best i have had and the easiest to live with for everyday driving.

Gez

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
big fan of the Nismo Coppermix twin - I think they hit a home run with this clutch. Can take abuse, doesn't slip, takes just a day to get used to the initial bite, and I drive it daily in Seoul traffic, *without* a Nismo booster cylinder, and it's pretty quiet when engaged in neutral - no sack of nails spinning around, that's for sure. Two thumbs up.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
ATS is only noisy (not that noisy compared to other brands) when clutch pedal is pressed. Unless your AC is on it will be quiet in N and only rattles a bit while the compressor runs (eats up a few rpm from the engine)

push-pull conversion is cheap (7-8,000 Yen) and easy to fit...so don't let that put you off

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does the ATS come with the centre hub damper?

And those of you who are using it, did you go with the 1100 or 1300 pressure plate?

Also does anyone have the part numbers for the pull -> push conversion? Heard theres some springs, sleeve, bearing, front cover and gasket, and slave cylinder, although i'm thinking of using a Nismo one....

Any help will be mucho appreciated

·
Registered
715 Posts
I was in a 33 recently running roughly the same power as mine, but it had a nismo clutch in it. This car could light up all 4 wheels when mine does not do that at all!!!! And the car revs easier than mine due to the lightened flywheel.

I want one too now.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmmm, Nismo it is most likely!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts