GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per title, which ctek charger do i need? Thought i'd ask you knowledgeable folk as i've never used one.

i'm getting a optima yellow top battery off of Paul @ Whifbitz but i want a charger to top it up when i don't drive it much over the winter.

Will the CTEK MXS3.6 be ok? Halfords | CTEK MXS3.6 Car Battery Charger

or do i need to go bigger and better? like the MXS5.0 Halfords | CTEK MXS5.0 Battery Charger or even the MXS10 Halfords | CTEK MXS10 Battery Charger

Problem is my car lives outside. I can park with the nose on to my garage (which isn't long enough for a GTR :() so then can i run a ctek charger with the bonnet fully closed, car locked and run it through the front grill or something and under my garage door??

Thanks in advance for any help :thumbsup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Im sure the one i have is the 3.5 variant , also have a look for the comfort connectors so you can quickly connect your ctek to the car without needing to mess about with the crocodile clips , i got the one with the battery status leds and if memory serves its the 6mm eyelets you will need.

Fitted a yellowtop to mine also , what a difference , if its a uk car you have then go for the euro terminals and not the jap narrow post as i ordered that one in error and dident fit, it will be a 2.7 R model you need but im sure Paul will keep you right anyways.

Cheers

Grant

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
I've got the 3.6 and run it under the garage door and to the car. You'll need the extension cable. I bought the battery indicator too which is permanently attached to the battery.

You can simply have the cable coming out of the side of the bonnet where it meets the headlight, closes fine with a cable sticking out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0044WWQIE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1385760269&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ADIHUVG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1385760302&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

·
Registered
244 Posts
Fed my extension cable through the grill, no need to keep opening and closing bonnet, its just plug and play that way!

Si

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys.

Grant - it's the 2.7R I'm getting :thumbsup:

Tom - that's exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks :)

Looks like i'll get a MXS3.6, the comfort connectors and an extension cable. Jobs a good'un :smokin:

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Fed my extension cable through the grill, no need to keep opening and closing bonnet, its just plug and play that way!

Si
I did think of that but then I'd need 2 extension cables; one inside the bonnet and one out of the garage.

Have you got any photos of it? Does it not get wet?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I did think of that but then I'd need 2 extension cables; one inside the bonnet and one out of the garage.

Have you got any photos of it? Does it not get wet?
Doesn't get wet it has a rubber lid seal, will get some pics up later for you.

Si

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesn't get wet it has a rubber lid seal, will get some pics up later for you.

Si
Would be interested to see pics of your set up as that sounds like what i would need to do.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have an mxs5, and comfort connections, that i didnt fit because it was too much for me to take the plastic coverings off to get to the battery nuts . Lol
It does get hot sometimes though so i wouldn't pack it in tight without some gap around it for air,but seems to work well with just the croc clips attached.
They are quite small and you could put the charger under the bonnet plugged into a mains plug extension lead from an outside socket, if you've got one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did think of that but then I'd need 2 extension cables; one inside the bonnet and one out of the garage...
You can buy a 2.5m extension for the charger lead (just an extension cable, no battery connectors).

The MXS 5.0 has a "battery reconditioning" program which I don't think the MXS 3.8 (replaces the MXS 3.6) has.

3.8 and 5.0 can be used on small (bike) batteries, but there is a limit to the size of car battery that they will charge.

Might be worth using the battery connector with the red/yellow/green battery charge indicator LEDs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I managed to get two nuts onto the battery terminals ok and fit the comfort connector. I didn't need to remove any significant plastics. It was just a little fiddly.

I exit my little connector socket into the gulley where the windscreen wipers rest just above the battery. There's actually a convenient notch to feed it through. It stays there all teh time and I just connect the charger to it when I park.

I use the 3.6 and extension cable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-Multi-...5374107&sr=8-2&tag=sharenews-21&keywords=ctek

C-Tek Comfort Connect Extension Cable 2.5m: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

The charger comes with both tiger clips and also a eyed comfort connector.

CTEK's are great. Keep your battery at 100% and extend it's life.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I literally have no idea what I'm about to buy, so thought I would revive this thread and ask you guys...

Currently in my basket (from Demon Tweeks) is the...

CTEK MXS 7.0 CTEK MXS 7.0 Battery Charger - Demon Tweeks

CTEK Comfort Extension Cable 2.5m CTEK Comfort Extension Cable 2.5m - Demon Tweeks

CTEK Comfort Indicator (theres lots of different types, is the eyelet M6 the one to go for?) http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/battery-chargers-conditioners/ctek-comfort-indicator

Thanks guys :D

·
Registered
723 Posts
I guess it comes down to what you want to use it for - if just the GTR then imagine the 5.0 would be fine. I use this on my R32, the battery reconditioning has brought back a few batteries from the dead also which has paid for itself.

That said if you want to use it on bigger batteries imagine the 7.0 would then be worth the extra (although it's a fair bit extra!)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I guess it comes down to what you want to use it for - if just the GTR then imagine the 5.0 would be fine. I use this on my R32, the battery reconditioning has brought back a few batteries from the dead also which has paid for itself.

That said if you want to use it on bigger batteries imagine the 7.0 would then be worth the extra (although it's a fair bit extra!)
So the 5.0 is ideal for the GTR and the 7.0 is a bit overkill?

·
Registered
723 Posts
So the 5.0 is ideal for the GTR and the 7.0 is a bit overkill?
Wouldn't quote me on it but i've successfully used the 5.0 on many cars including a Merc which had a battery which looked like it could jumpstart a jet!

Truth be told i'm pretty much working on the basis that many people say they use the 3.6 without problem, but the 5.0 for me would be worth the extra for the battery reconditioning features it gives you :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts