GTR Forum banner

Which ECU combo would you do if you were me?

• Mine's ECU + Boost Controller

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Apex-i ECU + Boost Controller

Votes: 21 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I've been talking to a few people about doing a few things to the car and, dare I say it, I'm happy to own a car where the available expertise is so enthusiastic and helpful. At present, I've decided to go for a clean 400-420bhp. This way, I get a peak performance R34 with cash to spare to spend on other things, such as AP brakes, intercooler and oil cooler and other items such as MFD2 and SatNav.

My decision lies within two options:

Alley Autosport offer the following: :)D)
Apex-i ECU, mapped by Mr Alley Autosport
Boost controller
(more expensive)

ProRep Autosport offer the following: :)D)
400BHP Mines ECU, premapped in Japan
Boost controller
(cheaper)

On top of this, I'm getting the IC and OC probably from Alley Autosport.

Now, I've always wanted a Mines ECU and Mr Chin says he will allow me the use of it for a few hours before I buy. I will be buying a knock detector any day now for the car so I will be able to notice any det by doing a try before you buy. If the Mines ECU works fine on 97RON + Octane Booster, then would anyone have any reservations about buying a plug'n'play ECU that was mapped in Japan? Or would you just play safe and go for the Apex-i remappable? The way I see it, our cars are mapped to run on 100ron from standard anyway.

Dino (DCD) swears by the Mines ECU + Boost Controller (EVC) combo, but he's running 100 RON, should I be concerned, because I'm planning on Optimax + Octane?

Help please! I wanna make a decision soon but I'm nowt but confused. Please make your comments non-biased and subjective.

Cem

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
which ecu

DONT MUCK ABOUT GO FOR THE APEXI POWER FC INC BOOST KIT AND HANDSET.

KEITH

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Octan

Hi there,

At first, many people believe Japanese petrol is 100, but the octan in Japan is not 100 actually.
It is usually 97.5 to 98.0.
Some tuners in Japan use sub-ECU of Apexi PowerFC or HKS F-conV. The reason they do not use main ECU such as VX-ROM but sub ECU is very simple.
Because the other tuners cannot re-programme main ECU.
Only MINE'S can make the re-programmed main ECU.
VX-ROM has developped with huge amount of data, and MINE'S also tested with British petrol.
MINE'S has several type of VX-ROM, so one of them must be fit to your modification, and they ask the specification before ordering.
You can also try before you purchase it.
Cem, as I told you, you do not have to decide before trying.

Yours,
Shin

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Apexi Apexi Apexi Apexi Apexi Apexi !!!!!!

I'm not 100% sure about the relative merits of a Fixed map (well one you have to send to Japan to remap!) Full ECU vs a remappable add on ECU, but i'd go for thr Apexi FC and boost controller because they look brilliant :D :D Nice big blue screens tasty :p

Go on, Go on, Go on you need more screens in the skyline surely ;)

Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
Apexi Power FC, no contest mate!

Polar, I think you may have misunderstood here, we are talking about the Apexi Power FC programmable ECU + a boost controller, not the Apexi S-AFC and AVC-R combo.

I'm against having anything "pre-mapped", or anything that's mapped on another car. I believe every engine to be slighlty different in one way or another and think that if you're gonna spend a reasonable amount of money on something like this, you've gotta do it right. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Mines ECU at all, if you lived in Japan I'm sure it would be a bloody good option but if you can't have it re mapped over here, I'd forget it.

Also, forget everone you've been to so far and get your arse down to Abbey Motorsport in Oxted, Surrey. Speak to Mark or Tony (well known on here), they're the people to do the job, I don't let anyone else touch my car.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
ECU

Cem,
Apexi
Gary
GT-ART.CO.UK:D

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
polar...not sure anyone with an R34 GTR would want those blue apex thngs all over the dash. Why litter it with digital read outs when everything (almost;) ) you need is on the MFD!!!

I'm still sticking to Mines!

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all,

Many thanks for the advice from all of you. It seems as though the Apexi ECU is the one to go for if you lot are anything to go by.

The Mines, which offers a simple upgrade with minimal fuss from one of the most technically adept tuners in the world, does seem a little short sighted. I've always wanted a Mine's car, but I may have to hold off for 'other' Mine's parts. As it stands at present, if I decide to add something to the car in terms of upgrades, the Mine's ECU becomes totally redundant and I would be forced to spend the same amount again. The Apexi seems to be the most logical purchase for me, at least I'll be future proofing myself if ever I decide to change a turbo or two.

Unless ProTec motorsport (;)) can provide me with a form of upgrading the chip without spending £600+ each time, then I'm going to have to look at alternative suggestions.

Has anyone heard of an R34 with either a Pectel or a Motec on it?

And does the Apexi come with a handset?

Cem

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Shin,

Not sure what you mean by a "sub-ECU" when you refer to the Power FC? It's not a piggy back type, it is a staright replacement programmable ECU...

Cem,

Forgot to show you the PFC at Bedford. The handset for the PFC is called a Commander and, like the boost kit, is separate from the PFC itself.

Peter.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Apexi boost kit for PFC

I know a lot of Japanese tuners and they've told me that the Optional boost controller kit for the PFC is not very good. It's best to get the Ecu, Commander and a new type ACVR Type R. I might possibly be able to get you the lot for about £900 from a contact in Hong Kong!

James

·
Registered
515 Posts
Maybe rubbish was a bit harsh

Basically the AVCR Type R is better! It has more adjustments, smoother boost, no spiking etc. The add on kit for PFC isn't that good and doesn't have as much fine tuning on it.

Here's some blurb from Apexi....

The A'PEXi Super AVC-R is the ultimate boost controller. It is the only boost controller on the market boasting an integrated injector pulse monitor. It is the only boost controller on the market engineered to increase boost response (up to 1500 RPM in some vehicles).
The A'PEXi Super AVC-R is the only boost controller with an RPM-specific self-learn mode which allows the boost controller to memorize the boost characteristics of a particular vehicle and adjust the boost pressure accordingly. This allows the unit to control boost unlike any other unit on the market. Vacuum and boost pressure are shown on the unit's easy-to-see display. A series of colored LED's also serve as a bar graph and monitor for the unit's various functions.
The booster controller is a boost duty setting that allows the user to control the amount of boost overshoot. The Super AVC-R is the only boost controller that combines the self-learning mode with an RPM specific overshoot protection feature for unparalleled boost stability. There are no dangerous calibration modes associated with Fuzzy Logic systems.To control boost, the Super AVC-R uses a high-quality solenoid valve as opposed to a stepping motor. This is the same technology that was used on the turbocharged Honda F-a race cars.
These solenoid valves are proven to control boost more accurately and are much sturdier in design and construction than a stepping motor. The Super AVC-R reads information from an injector pulse signal wire from the vehicle's ECU and a self-contained pressure sensor. The signals are then interpreted by the AVC-R and used to control the solenoid valve.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
boost control

THE APEXI boost controler that you describe from there advertising splurb is not the best on the market I have all those functions and more with HKS version and i see no reason why it would not be good practice to fit apexis add on to there ecu as it is purposly made for it this is my own opinion
Gary
GT-ART.CO.UK:D

·
Registered
710 Posts
I haven't heard anything bad about the Power FC boost kit either - Option Motorsport recommended it to me 'cos I dislike having needless gadgets in the cockpit. In fact I considered swapping my EVC for one until I saw what a superb installation job the previous owner had done.

Talat.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Ditto really. We've discussed the PFC and boost kit here before: http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=822 As I posted there, the boost kit isn't all singing, all dancing but it is integrated with the PFC and it does what it should do and holds boost very well. I still find the concept of overboost a difficult one to understand so if anyone can help me, I'd be grateful... I like to run maximum safe boost all the time so why have an overboost function where you'll be risking your turbos.

It pi55es me off when you read ill-informed posts like James' above. It's difficult to understand people's intentions sometimes when you read posts like that. Part of what this forum is all about is to share knowledge that we've gained whilst using various bits of kit on our cars not to slag off kit without having even tried it first. It's facts that count not hearsay.

Peter.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Chill

Check out these websites....

The first one is an all out drag racing car raced by Mr Yamada of Option fame. Why would a drag car use an AVC-R ? It's not like it needs a nice shiney display!

The second is a big power Skyline that also uses the AVCR over the Power FC unit.

I forget who told me that the Power FC boost unit is crap but it was a reputable tuner.

http://formen.ign.com/news/35385.html
http://www.pow.com.au/gtr_engine_specs.htm

James

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Right so you've found 2 guys that use the AVC-R for whatever reason, you've heard from somebody, who is so reputable you can't even remember who they are, that they reckon the boost kit is crap and that's all conclusive evidence, nothing more to say! What more can I say, you've said it all and I bow to your superior knowledge.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.