Votes: 1 0.4%
  • One of these mixes or not listed

Votes: 18 8.1%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
how much oil do you need to do a complete oil change including filter on a R35 GT-R?
thanks.
5.5Ltrs if changing oil filter, 5 if no filter, however if you track the car you should fill to half way mark between max-min on dipstick and 5 ltrs will get you there even with a filter change

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
cars over 50k now so

Mobil 1 10W-60 Motorsport formula Engine Oil

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Unless the engine has been badly worn due to the mileage (and 50k isn't a lot for a modern engine), there is no need for a thicker oil.

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
888 Posts
OEM Mobil 0w 40 fully synthetic oil here... serviced by Litchfield.

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
I read recently the main reason manufacturers run low viscosity oil is for better mpg, seen quite a few times the exact same engine having two different grades recommended depending soley on year of manufacture.

15w50 should be fine in summer, Motul 300v and Silkolene Pro-4 are very good oils.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I read recently the main reason manufacturers run low viscosity oil is for better mpg, seen quite a few times the exact same engine having two different grades recommended depending soley on year of manufacture.

15w50 should be fine in summer, Motul 300v and Silkolene Pro-4 are very good oils.
Thanks for the reply,

My average mpg is same 27mpg doesn't really matter which engine oil in my engine. I am on 10w60 for five years now.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

Manufacturers do often use thinner grades to improve fuel economy, but the benefit is pretty minimal. Most new American V8s tend to recommend a 0w-20, 5w-20 or 5w-30 and any mpg gain is going to be minimal, but across a million vehicles, it might be worthwhile.

It's not just for mpg though. Modern engines are built tighter than older ones, so a thicker oil will not flow properly around them, leading to reduced protection. Most of the protection an oil gives is due to the flow providing a film, rather than the viscosity of the oil, so what you really want to use is the thinnest grade that is suitable for the engine. Too thin and there will be reduced protection, too thick and the flow will be reduced. As thinner oils cause less internal resistance, they also lead to power gains.

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
any one used 05w60 race tech liquid Moly ? - as in what they put in modern Ferraris and such like..

its all I can get over here.

and how come only fill half way when on track ?

I was always told slightly over max...
its what we always do with our track and race cars.

·
Registered
151 Posts
now that mobil1 0w40 new life isn't avaible anymore what does Nissan recommends on using? seein as the new 0w40 from Mobil1 isn't as good anymore.

or to put it differently: which oil meets or exceeds the specs of the old new life?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I am happy with 10w60 runs a lot cooler on the drag strip.

We tried with two gtrs 0w40 vs 10w60 and oil temp was way too much different?

0w40 after few runs 107c

10w60 after few runs 80c

61 - 80 of 88 Posts