GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a really really stupid question but...

...I'm upgrading my GTS-T (R33) next week - fuel cut defencer chip, HKS EVC4 Boost controller, HKS Superpower flow intake system etc. I keep hearing things about superunleaded petrol or Octane additives.

What kind of fuel SHOULD i be using? Does it affect performance?

I'm just usung normal unleaded at the mo.

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Hi Stu,

As a rule of thumb, you should use SuperUL, for better performance and less chance of damaging your engine.

Apart from the inconvenience<sp> of finding a garage that sells SuperUL, then it's a false economy to be using premiumUL as you will only save about 2 quid per tank, and run the risk of detonation (which can be fatal) when pushing on.

As a special treat for track days etc. you may like to try adding some octane booster, which will improve perfomance / reliability a little further.

In Japan fuel is rated as 99RON and the engine is setup for this, in the UK we have 95RON (Premium) and 97RON (Super), so to meet the Japanese 99RON we really need to use SuperUL and octane booster.

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
709 Posts
I agree with Blitz, forget the FCD. Instead, get yourself a GTR fuel pump if you're gonna increase boost - a head gasket isn't really necessary at this stage although personally I'd get myself an intercooler before increasing the boost. Stick with Super UL also.

HKS Hiroshima reckon you can increase the boost to 0.8 with the standard CPU as long as the fuelling is right (hence the upgraded pump).

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers!

Thanks for the help Guys. Will need to speak to Vince at Scole engineering and change my plans. So no FCD but need metal head gasket (fair enough!), but where the **** do I get a GTR fuel pump from?

Is it worth binning my visit to Scole and whipping over to Middlehurst or TDI?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Intercooler

Talat,

You're having a laugh! Just looked at the price of the intercoolers on the TDI website, they're coming in at approx £1K! Oh well, knew this wasn't gonna be cheap. Better check my motor isn't a ringer before I start this.

Cheers for the help.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Advice

OK Guys

I think I'm going about this modification business the wrong way. My car is a standard 240bhp GTS-25T with big beast exhaust and downflows (on it when I bought it) and a delimiter/mph conversion. I want to boost to 280 and beyond (1 step at a time though otherwise the wife will go mental!).

What do you suggest?

Metal head gasket?
Upgraded intercooler?
Boost Controller?
Irridium sparkies?
Blitz superpowerflow induction kit?

To be used only with SUL + octane additive - speaking of which can anyone tell me why i seem to get a suckback/miss fire evey now and then? Is that anything to do with running standard plat plugs?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Stu,

No one said tuning was cheap. Also, I wouldn't bother going to TDI for your parts as they're a rip off.

Cheapest option would be to buy a used GTR intercooler and fabricate the piping. Also I bought a Trust 2 row intercooler with alloy piping for £750 (inclusive) from Taka Kaira - it would have cost less for a HKS S-Type.

You could buy the fuel pump from a breakers yard - I bought mine for £100 - I didn't bother with the head gasket as it seemed overkill for the light tuning I was doing but if you are worried about detonation then by all means get one.

Here is what my upgrade path would be:

1. Air filter and Iridium spark plugs
2. Intercooler
3. Boost controller and fuel pump

Ironically I sold all my bits to John Dove who frequents this board - he should have the same set-up as above and thus will be able to tell you how the car performs.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tuning

Talat,

Thanks for the advice javascript:smilie(':D') once again! Will hopefully get all this done soon. Want more power! Need more power!

Off to spend money!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts