GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone.Im currently searching info about Garret turbo series.need some advice.

When we consider only turbo matter ,not including my modifications besides the fact the target is up to 650 hp. Which turbo from Garret series will be better solution (if any is) for this horsepower range,for street driving to achieve faster spool (not track use as you see,just have good fun when you drive with quicker appearing spool sound) than T04z being in the same loudness range.

I should ask someone with more experience before I let my money disappear.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance for replies.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you're looking at an older style T04Z and don't mind the tech (journal bearing) then check out HKS' new GTIII-4R.
It's effectively a T04z but redesigned and improved - comes on earlier and has better peak hold.

In general; HKS and Garrett turbochargers are very close in sizing and design, with HKS focused on slightly smaller housing to improve spool times so given what you've said this is where I'd be looking.
You could also consider Borg Warner EFR series turbo's, depending how deep your pockets are ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx ares.Pockets are prepared,but definitely i don't consider new tech as rubbish.I will took everything into consideration so if new tech is gonna be that good or even better,thats no problem for me.Let say this- HKS GTIII4R you said,or G25-660 from garrett refering to my question ?? one other question - smaller A/R means faster spool ??? i was preparing for 0.84. lately....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Careful there - Journal bearings can be frowned upon by some who say that they aren't as durable as standard bearings.
Yes by in large the smaller A/R the faster spool, though with new turbo tech available faster spools seem to be the norm now. :)
Borg Warner tend to be leading the charge in Turbo tech, though HKS and Garrett aren't far behind!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man.but no one mentions one thing.As you said ,smaller AR=faster spool but it generates less noise as far as chops,stutu and whining goes.New tech for example is all about compact size with capability of huge amount of horses,being resistant for high temperatures at the same time.,but it doesn't sound even close to the old tech.I won't probably go Cyberpunk 2077 or Dinosaur era.I will stick with medieval.Garret GT series,looks very interesting for my power goal.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yup, I'm definitely a fan of the Borg Warners BUT haven't had one myself, just had a look at what they do and how they do it and even their lower tier turbos have great results.
If you want to stick with Garrett (fair enough!) then make sure you're getting a GTX Gen II - they're the most recent design and have been shown to spool much earlier than the previous generation.

As for your comments about Turbo noise - um, well that's subjective but in general those noises are a by-product of your setup; turbo shuffle for instance is actually about your pipe work and less about the Turbo itself and the BOV you select will let you have as much PSHHHHHHHHH as you want.
The new Turbos should work as quietly or loudly as you want depending on how you have them plumbed - if anything they could end up louder as they're flowing more air - so I'd respectfully disagree with you. To me, if i had the money to spend on a new tubby setup then i'd be focused on the performance I'd get out of it, not the noises ;)

FYI (AFAIK, i'm no mechanic!!!)
Whining Turbos are generally a bad thing as it indicates a noisy bearing which could be on its way out (from experience with my GT-t)
(Superchargers whine, turbo's shouldn't!!!)
Turbo Shuffle - pipework as mentioned above, not good as it indicates the potential for stalling and incorrectly/poorly designed merge pipes (NISMO pipes fix this)
StuStuStu - completely controlled by the BOV, nothing to do with which Tub you have.
Chops - lost me, no idea.

As I said above, if you have the money, get the newest tubby you can for your build and sort the rest around that - PLENTY of info on the site about the results you can get from xyz tubby on abc setup :)
GL mate,looking forward to hearing which way you go and seeing the Dyno sheet!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.I will figure smth out .Performance,noises,,responsiveness,they are all gonna live together under the hood.I have to make just good calculations.Stay safe on the road guys .Cheers.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
When we consider only turbo matter ,not including my modifications besides the fact the target is up to 650 hp. Which turbo from Garret series will be better solution (if any is) for this horsepower range,for street driving to achieve faster spool (not track use as you see,just have good fun when you drive with quicker appearing spool sound) than T04z being in the same loudness range.

Any ideas??
The "loudness" is a thing which seems to be disappearing with the newer turbos. It is caused by an interaction between low blade count compressor wheels and ported compressor housings - which seem to cause a bit of a whistle as the airflow picks up and interferes along the port. The higher blade counts and more efficient housings seem to quieten this down a bit for the most part, but some aftermarket manufacturers (ie, OCD) seem to be offering solutions to modify the compressor housing to try and provoke this effect into happening.

The new EFRs have a slight whistle, most of the Garretts are pretty much silent now, Precision turbos are quiet, but some of the Borg Warner Airwerks (which are journal bearing and cast wheels) are very loud but also perform like older generation turbos - and wouldn't be my suggestion.

Some of the most interesting turbos out are the Xona Rotor range with the new split profile UHF-turbine wheels, which flow very well on the exhaust side with the ridiculously efficient new style turbine wheels. They also seem to have pretty awesome T51R-esque whistle on spool, flow very well and offer great response for their flow.

You haven't said what your setup or what kind of fuel you are going to be running, but this looks like its in the territory of what you're looking for: XR 7164S X2C - Xona Rotor

Has a V-band exhaust housing, single scroll housings tend to result in a more edgy/pitchy/aggressive exhaust note and the compressor is going to likely have a bit of a whistle on spool. Some of the other aspects of performance and spool relies on the rest of your setup.

FYI (AFAIK, i'm no mechanic!!!)
Whining Turbos are generally a bad thing as it indicates a noisy bearing which could be on its way out (from experience with my GT-t)
Certain whining turbo noises can be a result of a failing turbo, but pretty sure the noise he is talking about is just due to compressor housing porting and has a certain "jet engine" quality to it and is absolutely fine. When done well, this kind of porting has quite a positive effect on compressor efficiency over a wide operating range and sometimes results in cool sounds :)

Here's an example of a perfectly healthy turbo whistle :

·
Registered
150 Posts
Certain whining turbo noises can be a result of a failing turbo, but pretty sure the noise he is talking about is just due to compressor housing porting and has a certain "jet engine" quality to it and is absolutely fine. When done well, this kind of porting has quite a positive effect on compressor efficiency over a wide operating range and sometimes results in cool sounds :)
Yeah - i'm aware of the porting options, hence why i said in general - the OP hasn't been overly specific with things.
Great post (as always) though Lith :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly like Lith said!.I said the same when talking to other "Sky stuff maniacs" one day about the fact,that all about turbo right now is : compact/pocket/children size(so of course,smaller blades=less you know what),as more hp you can get from that size,and durability.Even GTX series from Garrett became quieter(for me-absolutely silent),so we don;t have to talk about current years.You can choose new,advanced technology,but you can't fool big Kaiser Roll sitting under the hood making noticeable tantrum aswell,so i hope even "turbo grandpas" will stay with car modifications for long. and yeah my whining noise matter again,Lith hit in the head,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts