GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I own a Nissan (S13) 180 SX. I wanted to know which gearboxes will fit the R34 GTR engines?

Ideally, I'd like to use an R34 GTR engine with (perhaps) a GTS gearbox so that it would still be RWD.

I have read elsewhere that the R33 GTR gearboxes can be used with the R34 GTR engine, but what other options do I have?

I don't want to go silly with the HP (not to begin with anyway ;) ), but does anyone know what the safe limit of a GTS gearbox is if it is compatible with the GTR engine?

Any help muchly appreciated.

:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Guide me on this then guys, is there anything stopping you fitting an R34 GTR box to an R33 GTR? And has anyone done it?

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I wouldnt think so...I know its not straight forward, you might have to use an R34 transfer case too...
The 34 getrag is not as strong as the nissan 33 box...ask Glen!;)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Mad Man Dan said:
Hi guys,

I own a Nissan (S13) 180 SX. I wanted to know which gearboxes will fit the R34 GTR engines?

Ideally, I'd like to use an R34 GTR engine with (perhaps) a GTS gearbox so that it would still be RWD.

I have read elsewhere that the R33 GTR gearboxes can be used with the R34 GTR engine, but what other options do I have?

I don't want to go silly with the HP (not to begin with anyway ;) ), but does anyone know what the safe limit of a GTS gearbox is if it is compatible with the GTR engine?

Any help muchly appreciated.

:)
Dan,

GTS box should go straight on. You would also need the GTS sump (or plate the GTR sump). The box on the GTS is apparently good enough for 500 bhp before youhave to worry about coolers/upgrading it.

Abbey have fitted an RB26 into an S14. They bolted the S14 box onto the back of it. How long it will last I dont know......:eek:
To fit the GTS box, you'll also need custom box mounts fabricated, as they are about 30-40mm out from the S13 mounts.

Also, you will need the GTS X-memeber for easy fitment, unless you can get your hands on an R31 x-member (apparently drops straight in aswell, but even easier!). Add to this the cutting/grinding of the bonnet bracing/webbing to make it clear the cam belt cover. Im still not sure if the TT setup would clear the ABS pump in an S13....Time will tell no doubt

I got your mail. I will respond when I get a chance!

Are you going to TRAX? Ill be there in the afternoon. Come and have a chat!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
DCD said:
I wouldnt think so...I know its not straight forward, you might have to use an R34 transfer case too...
The 34 getrag is not as strong as the nissan 33 box...ask Glen!;)
I disagree from personal experience. I've just only replaced the R34 gearbox in my racer with another one, mainly because the 3rd gear synchro was worn. As far as I could find out, the box has been in since the car first ran in the 24H race in 1999. Not a bad result, is it ? The gearbox is rated 500 Nm (or was it 600 ?) by Getrag, and there almost certainly is a safety margin there.
The Nissan gearbox as used in the 32/33 is not bad, but the synchro's are the weak point there. There's an OS Giken kit available that solves that problem.
There's been a lot of discussion re. the various gearboxes. At the end of the day, the way it is used (or should I say abused ;) ) in combination with the specs of all the drive train components (from engine to tarmac) defines the lifetime of the gearbox !

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for all your help guys, it's much appreciated.

Matt_S> Cheers mate. :) The best thing is that I don't have ABS on my S13 (I hate it anyway!), so I've got a bit of room on the would-be turbo-side of the engine.

Yeah, I will be at Trax (got no idea how I'm getting there yet :rolleyes: ), would be good to have a chat.

Dan. :)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I'd only done a handful of drag runs

Box will be apart soon and it is the same gear as yours Andre, 3rd.

glen

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Glen...must be all that torque the T78 pushes out! ;)
But it sure is strange that no one has done upgrade kits for the getrag. I mean with the populaity of drag racing and just overall tuning in Japan its just weird that after 3.5 years OS or Grex haven't come up with anything!:confused:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Seems to be quite hard to get replacement parts for the Getrag anyway. the only thing you can do really is order a new 'box as there are no Nissan part numbers available for each part that is in the 'box.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
OS recently released a sequential upgrade. There was very little information about it in its advertisement but the picture showed that it was all the internals only (not the case) - just under Yen 1,000,000 for the kit. Compares favourablt to the other options.

A variation of the kit could have been designed from the ground up as a replacement for the R34 internals as there is no mention of model year in the ad. Just a generic Skyline GT-R statement. I really should ask one of the Japanese tuners about it. I don't think it will be too long until we start to see heavy duty options for the R34 as the car is over 3 years old now and there are few more quick ones creeping into the Japanese drag circles.

Cya O!

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
hipogtr...where did you see this ad?? Sounds well priced considering a Hollinger is roughly twice as much. Very interesting news...

3,665 Posts
hollinger versus OS giken

DCD,

the hollinger is more usable you can change the ratios in
1st,2nd,3rd,4th,6th and also change the drop gears i.e change
the overall gear box ratios in all the gears.
The OS kit comes with just 1 ratio kit that is just for dragging
[that is what it said on my information sheet]

Hope this helps

mark

1 - 20 of 24 Posts