GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as we're going on this little Euro trip next year I'm thinking of getting a couple of in-car cameras. So which ones would folk recommend?

I would probably want to use it on the race bike too, so is the obvious choice one from the GoPro family?

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
I have a black vue and think it's amazing. Not sure the quality mixes it with the likes of go pros, but then you benefit form the accident recording upside.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I have a black vue and think it's amazing. Not sure the quality mixes it with the likes of go pros, but then you benefit form the accident recording upside.
+no battery issues.

It's not GoPro quality as you say, but it's HD so fine for YouTube.

I've tried quite a few cameras.
I do like the GoPro Black and the Replay, but for sheer ease of use as it's already in the car and running a decent drive recorder is hard to beat IMO.

If you are sticking it outside the car that's a different matter of course. :)

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Hi Ian. I bought this which as its name implies has a separate camera to mount in the rear window

2.0" LCD Dual Lens Car Vehicle HD DVR Camera Video Recorder Camcorder G-sensor | eBay

I'm quite happy with it except for:

1. It has three flashing lights on it which when mounted on the windscreen and driving at night is a bit irritating so I have to put the visor down slightly.

and

2. if you want to read number plates, you'd have to get a 1020p camera instead of a 720 like this one.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Can't really go wrong with a GoPro as they're so versatile. There are so many accessories as well so you can really make quite a trick set-up (wireless, 3D etc.).

The only slight issue can be battery life but if you're mounting it inside the cabin you can plug it into the cigarette lighter anyway so that is no longer an issue.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
John M has full wired in Race Logic system which is great as records in car, out and all race logic stuff too. Video Box Lite I believe it is called? Obviously more pricey and not HD as year I don't believe.....I may go for a camera for the tour also so interested to see what you decide.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
went mad and got a GoPro silver for Xmas (for our trip of course !!)

MAP yet anyone ?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a GoPro 3 mounted on a harness bar behind the front seats. Seems to do a good job. Can also mount of the inside of the front screen as well.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I have a Blackvue 500 but now see they do a 550 which includes a rear view camera as well. I'd like to add a rear view camera to my car but obviously don't want to spend out for another front one as well.

Need to do some digging on that one.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
John M has full wired in Race Logic system which is great as records in car, out and all race logic stuff too. Video Box Lite I believe it is called? Obviously more pricey and not HD as year I don't believe.....I may go for a camera for the tour also so interested to see what you decide.
I think my Vbox lite with a few options like cables and a preview screen was over £1,000.
And it's the cheapest video Vbox...

So quite an investment.

I have a Blackvue 500 but now see they do a 550 which includes a rear view camera as well. I'd like to add a rear view camera to my car but obviously don't want to spend out for another front one as well.

Need to do some digging on that one.
Saw that on the MiView (or called similar) but the rear view camera is very limited in resolution.
Part of the way they work with limited processing running off one unit.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I agree that the cameras suggested are much better than mine but you have to decide whether or not you want to spend 10 to 20 times what I spent for a camera which is probably not 10 to 20 times better.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I agree that the cameras suggested are much better than mine but you have to decide whether or not you want to spend 10 to 20 times what I spent for a camera which is probably not 10 to 20 times better.
Indeed.

If you just want footage for youtube there is no point getting anything too flash IMO.

Mine never look as good once uploaded, if taken from the GoPro 3.

·
Registered
137 Posts
+1

Have the same - not brilliant but enough for gross event/accident recording - and cheap as chips - less than £60 all in with 32GB card that gives over 10 hrs recording time

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Brilliant Guys, thanks for all the ideas :thumbsup:

Sorry for the slow response but been a little busy with the house & garage extension. Should be up to damp course tomorrow.

The GoPro Hero3 silver looks pretty good and reasonably priced although on a quick search I'm seeing at around the £180 mark they seem to range from 5.0MP to 10 & 11MP all at very similar prices and all called Hero3????
Obviously I'd go for the higher MP but thought they'd be the same being the same model.

Although I do like the idea of over laying ecu data as I could then use it on the race bike as it runs a DTA ecu. Shame they still only seem to be able to handle lower res but I think its down to processing/editing capabilities when including the ecu data too, anyone else know why?

If I was to use a Hero3 for the 8 day trip (As Steve is doing) would you then bring a laptop to download after each day or do they not have enough memory for a full day. Obviously I'd install as big of a memory card as possible. Just wondering what you do for days away as I've only experimented with 1 mile runs and cheapo cameras!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use the roadhawk HDs in the merc for my daily driver and they work great.

For the rx7, the GTR and the s14 I use go pro.

In terms of quality they are much for much, but I enjoy the wireless functionality of the go pro for the track cars.

·
Registered
341 Posts
i'm not a paid up advertiser on this forum (will be very soon) but i'm happy to help out when it comes to in car cameras in terms of discounts or advice for GTR OC members. RoadHawk, GoPro, RePlay or Dogcam bullet cameras. Just give me a shout.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts