GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked/debated hundreds of times before on the forum, but is there a general concensus for the best oil to use for Skylines ? Subaru owners seem to like the Motul stuff, any general preferences from you guys ?

(I'm in Scotland where it can get quite cold !!)

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Dave,

I've used Mobil 1 Motorsport since buying my 33, 3 years ago until the last change when I tried Motul. I worked out that in 3 years and under 20k miles, I've changed the oil over 20 times in that period. Have to say that I'm going back to M1 for no scientific reason other than the Motul gets hotter than the M1 on track in my car.... Oil pressure seemed the same with both.

It's a difficult one to answer scientifically as there's nothing much to go on unless you get a major let go.

Peter.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i asked abbymotorsports advice they recommended castrol rs 10w60 oil.but i also have used mobil motorsport,which seemed ok.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I myslef have also been using Mobil1 M/Sport since I've had the car

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Dave,
I know my RB25 is slightly different, but I've been running with Mobil 1 Motorsport 15w50 (same as Peter) and just recently with the frost etc I've figured it is a little bit too thick on startup for the cold mornings we've been having. 15w50 is perfect in the summer months though :)

The Castrol 10w60 RS should be fine though, I'll be doing mine this weekend too :)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Castrol RS for me - Don't know if it is the best etc, but its the only decent one I can get off the shelf locally...

edited to add - Its the 10-60 variety for me!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I have wondered the same and

Abbey advised you should be really using 10 at the bottom end. So 10w60 seems to be the best.
But as uncle Pete says if you are changing regularly then I guess it does not matter. 15w50 is certainly a good comprimise as well.
I aim for change every 3k miles.
I think Big White Al does it every 1500 miles...aka PE.

the fresher the oil the better.
I am running Millers CPS which is 10/60.
Nick

·
Registered
65 Posts
Castrol RS

My experience of Mobil1 is that it is a bit too "thin" and the properties of Castrol RS are better. Running an Integrale and a quattro on M1 caused the oil to seep down the valves resulting in the car smoking on startup, changing over to castrol or any slightly heavier synthetic oil cured the problem. So for my money the castrol is preferred......Mobil have done a fantastic job on the advertising though!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Max I think the guys

meant the Mobil 1 MS which is 15 50 and yeah you are right the mobil 1 0w40 is shite for road cars. way to thin.
Clever bunch tho as I am sure they do a wicked trade with the max flower lot..

"Yeah me Nova got xtra 50 brake with mobil 1. Phat stuff dat is"

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Not wishing to start an oil 'war' here but..... Castrol RS is 0W 40. Can't see that being better for a modded turbo charged car than a 15W 50 or 10W 60 oil.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Hey Peter,

I'm sure Castrol do two RS's just like Mobil do two 1's.

Like Peter, Abbey and Rod Bell say, 10w60 and 15w50 fully synthetic are the key ingredients for our engines chaps

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
JO is right Unc.

Castrol RS can be 0w40 OR 10w60.
So you can get either.
Les Smith sell it for some reason
and it is cheap there.

·
Registered
130 Posts
'76' Nascar Oil - 20-50w, I've used it for the past year os so now, limited volumes I believe, but plenty full @ Option Motorsport.

Other combinations available upon request.

Tesh

·
Registered
78 Posts
OIL

Hi all,

I'm an oil technician by trade. "I blend oil"

I believe, most day 2 day cars will run on any oil, but in high performance cars "turbos especially" the type and viscosity is very important. 15 / 40 I think is the best all round performer.....

Perks of the job i can get free oil and Octane Boost...........

Al

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Al,
Can you suggest brands of 15w40 fully synthetic, I can't think of ever seeing that on the shelf at the auto shops.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
The closest one I've seen is Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W50.

How come you want 15W40??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts