GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a single big T88 turbo, now I have been told my wastegate is too small for my turbo.
Could someone help me out and let me know on how to choose a wastegate and which wastegate would suit a high boosting GTR with a single T88 turbo.
Thks for any help

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Pro-gate 48mm externals are good, we use them all the time, they have been tested to over 1000hp and are very well priced. e-mail me if you want some more info...Rob

·
Registered
190 Posts
The answer is, at what Rpm does the engine reach full boost, and what is the engine redline ?

That should tell you very roughly how much exhaust flows through the turbine, and how much exhaust flows through the wastegate flat out at redline Rpm.

You should then be able to figure out the effective flow area through the turbine housing, and estimate (very roughly) the minimum flow area required through the wastegate required to do the job.

For instance if your engine only just reaches full boost at redline, no wastegate is required.

If your engine reaches full boost at exactly half redline Rpm, flat out turbine and wastegate will need to share the total flow 50/50. That is not strictly true, but it will come mighty close.

An even rougher way to do it is just look down the throat of the snail and look at the wastegate hole and judge the relative flow areas of both by eye.

Not very scientific, but it will either look about right, or be miles out, you decide...

·
Registered
234 Posts
R.I.P.S NZ said:
Pro-gate 48mm externals are good, we use them all the time, they have been tested to over 1000hp and are very well priced. e-mail me if you want some more info...Rob
yep the TURBOSMART PRO-GATE is the way to go,,,,,,never had a problem with them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts