GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come on everyone 'bout time we had a definative wheel and tyre debate.

Starting with the R32, which is better 16" / 17" / 18" which is the biggest width, anyone know the offset? which are the best tyres, what is fitted to your car?

As for the R33 is it true it requires a special fitment?:eek:

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
I'm currently running a set of Nismo split rims with 275/35/18 Bridgestone SO3s. This is for two reasons;

1) The bigger the wheels the biger the brakes you can fit.:)

2) 275s instead of 265s to give the rims a little more protection when parking.:(

As for fitting there's nothing major required at all. I know some people have fitted spacers but with the 275s this causes more problems.

John

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
40 views and only 1 reply come on you lot, the Scooby bbs would put you lot to shame!

Just saw the GT-ART R33 capable of 211mph is fitted with
10" x 18" nismo five spokes with 235/45R18 Potenza S-02

Lee.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
R33 wheel fitment

Skyline wheel fitment is a lot different to that of a Subaru (I had a STI5 up untill 5 months ago and went from standard 16's to Scoobysport Gold MIM tarmac stage alloys then to anthracite Prodrive 7's). On a Skyline most of the wheels sold in the UK would require wheels spacers, this personally would not be my favoured option with a car of this power.

Most Skylines you see would thus if not on stock wheels, be run on the few alternatives available, Nismo, Blitz and BBS (The BBS are different to those sold in Europe). Also Advan and Enkei have a few suppliers. The replacement 17 and 18+ inch wheel market is not as limited as everyone thinks if your willing to spend, Take a look at the options in the latest Hyper Revs magazine for the Skyline there are plenty, its just the fact that it can get very expensive as these wheels are mainly race bred and of lightweight material hence at least £1,000 a wheels before import charges etc..

I run Nismo GT 3's 18 x10 and have no problems with ride and certainly not looks!

Now Tyres... there is a massive thread still running at the moment about that (its titled R34 Tyres) Its been ripped to bits and has all views chucked in there. Including mine on GoodYear F1's which I have, But since a slippery moment last week I have changed my view ..and referring back to Scoob ownership think the SO2 and 3's Rock!!

...Ian

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ian

Subaru's understeer like buggery!
Even on slicks!
Difficult car to bias a tyre opinion on.
Only way to get a Scooby quick on tar,is to chuck em left and right.
Just my 2c's

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ian, thanks for the post, since tyres have been well covered, can we have more on wheels guys, seams more complex than I thought. Impreza wheels can be got anywhere second hand, bought myself a set of excellent 17" with tyres for £600.

But I would expect owning GTR, a rare car in the UK will mean more hassle getting some parts.

Charlie, the impreza understeer problem is virtually solved with the 'bump steer mod' resulting in near perfic balance.

The main problem with the impreza is no matter your budget the 300BHP limit is hard to beat, unlike the GTR, I am expecting 400BHP on a similar budget.

Anyone know of an importer than can get 18" BBS wheels for the GTR from Japan, which will not require a handfull of credit cards?

Lee.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've done some more research this afternoon, this info will be no surprise to most of you but someone might be interested:-

R32 V Spec:-
17" x 8" aluminium alloy wheels with 225/50 ZR 17 tyres

Standard R33:-
17x9JJ five spoke wheels shod with Potenza RE0 10 245/45ZR tyres

Nismo 400R:-
10JJ x18" wheels with 275/35 tyres, Bilstein gas shocks and 40mm lower suspension than the R33!

Ian
Could not find anything anywhere on the Offset, next time you have the wheels off (service time?) could you do us a favour a measure the offset, could be invaluable if buying used, and what profile are you running, I will check out the Hyper Revs and will phone around when I get a copy. Thanks again.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The main problem with the impreza is no matter your budget the 300BHP limit is hard t

Cheers Lee, guess you gotta point.
I too expected at least 400bhp with my 33.
I've spent 2k with my Power FC,cam wheels, exhaust.etc. I still don't have 400BHP
I remember a conversation I had with Middlehurst and was advised for every extra....1.....BHP budget on a 100 quid.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks Charlie,

I am still researching the engine mods situation, both for the best order to modify in and which bits get the best BHP per £.

Have seen some dyno results at 400BHP with not too many mods, however many people do not know the history of their imported cars, and can't tell whats been done to the motor.

Your are dead right though, I guess its a case of deminishing returns, most get to 350BHP almost right away and then 400BHP takes a lot more cash. Saw the guy from EVO mag said he spent 20K getting to 600 BHP, to much for my budget.

Some of you may be wondering my interest in all this as a WRX owner, well I sold it, received a big deposit and hope to get the remainder next month, and a R32 is top of my list.

Old head on old shoulders, been burnt modifying cars before, so if I can't get one here already played with then I will import (done it b4) + modification costs.

First will be wheels and tyres 18 x 10 275R40 (R35?) BBS
(subject to availability & cost) then exhaust, then a visit to a dyno to get the starting point.

The rest will probably be up to members of this board!

Ps got a feeling there are lots of other WRX / EVO / Cossie owners that are following close behind me. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
R32 wheels

Have you seen the 18 inch BBS wheels on the R32 in the clarkson video. They look the monkeys'. I reckon they are the same as Alans on his R33( I keep eyeing them up;) ). Anyway they are what I am aiming for when I have the cash spare.
Dave

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Dave
I,ll polish them up for you at the next meet. :D
Be sure to bring your sunglasses :p

Lee
Can,t quote for the 32 but my 33 has 383bnp and the only mods are intake, exhaust and boost controler. so power is not that expensive up to 400.:D

Happy new year guys

Best regards Alan

·
Registered
446 Posts
but my 33 has 383bnp

Hi Alan,you running 383bhp on a standard Jappy ECU?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts