GTR Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Ignore the last message. Read further up the thread on what you did to rid the noise.

I'll try the RWD only driving on the weekend and, if needs be, check the diff and see what that looks like.

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

FYI, you can disable FWD on a GTR while driving by turning the ignition key to off then on again. CAUTION to do it in a straight line to avoid the steering lock from engaging. Once you have disabled the FWD you will notice on the dash that the 4WD light warning light is now on and you will have also disabled the ABS system.....so treat it with respect :) NOTE when you come to a stop the system will automatically enable 4WD again. Yes you can permanently disable 4WD by pulling the fuse and the same effects happen to ABS etc.

I have a similar whine in 4WD mode and when I perform this trick it goes away. Yet to be confirmed but my suspicion is that it is a transfer case issue because if it was a front diff issue the noise would still be there as is continues to rotate while the car is rolling, if you get my drift.
I have not ruled out the diff but as I say, it does not add up why the noise would go away in RWD only.

Food for thought. Mrpete.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts