GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My car was previously running a very conservative tune but was recently retuned by Eiichiro of Autoselect japan and now is making somewhat more power..

The thing is, after the car started making more power, a few things started to give way.

First was the clutch but now thats changed..

Then the manifold gasket, but im told that its just a small leak and wait till it gets somewhat bigger before changing so i can save up first. Hehe

Then now it seems the turbo's are gone too. Apparently the turbo's are leaking oil.

When i drive, if i accelerate hard, and i dont mean really hard, just 75% throttle until 5500 - 6000rpms and do that thru every gear until third and let off the gas, the exhaust will have a few pops which are somewhat louder than it has ever popped and in the rear view mirror, i can see alot of smoke coming out of the exhaust with a gust of smoke at the time of the pop.

Apparently this is cause the turbo's are gone. Is it true or could there be a different story to it?

And with the compression test and leakdown test that was done on the engine, what is the maximum variance between the cylinders? Like say its supposed to be 150psi ideally and variance of 20 being 170psi? Im not too familiar with that bit.. Thanks a bunch for the responses in advance guys!

Regards
Kenny

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
well if the turbos are gone you should be making little or no boost. Betcha you've got all kind of gasket and seal leaks if you're still making boost at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am still making boost for sure. I am able to get up to the set boost levels but after that when i ease off, the following POP and the amount of white smoke is scary.

How should i go about looking for the true problem?

My mech says the turbo is leaking oil?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
When the turbos are gone you´ll hear a terrible screaming noise, like a loose timing belt but with a bit of metallic scratching in it. Whit smoke usually means water is coming out, blue smoke is oil.
Might be your head gasket.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
White smoke is caused by oil in the exhaust/turbo it turns Blue if burnt in the combustion chamber.It could be that you need a catch tank to stop oil blowing out of the cam covers. Have a look at the dump valves under the drivers wing, if they are blowing oil all over the front bumper this could be your problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
andreasgtr/paul cawson: My mech says the turbo is leaking oil.. What does he mean by the turbo is leaking oil?

And plus the white smoke isnt always..

Its just when i gas it semi-hard and then i let off, then a big pop will follow with alot of white smoke and the white smoke will continue for awhile more. But if i drive and take it easy and not really making full boost or driving at WOT, this never comes and theres no smoke.

So whats happening actually?

Thanks alot for the responses guys.
Appreciate it!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Sounds like the turbo(s) to me. Happened on my GTR. I did not have any funny noises, still made good boost etc, but a trail of white smoke everywhere esp on the overrun after full throttle.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
@Fred what was wrong with your turbos in detail?
broken shaft? leaking seals?
On my turbo the shaft was broken and so oil could enter the compressor housing, so oil was transported through the intake and then burnt out through the combustion chamber which ended in the whole street wrapped in a nice blue cloud.:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Sounds like the turbo(s) to me. Happened on my GTR. I did not have any funny noises, still made good boost etc, but a trail of white smoke everywhere esp on the overrun after full throttle.
That sounds like great fun.... a friend used to have an RS Turbo which did it when the valve stem oil seals went. Clouds of blue smoke out the back. he he. I was young mind you and it was very cheap to fix. Comparatively speaking.

·
Registered
773 Posts
@Fred what was wrong with your turbos in detail?
broken shaft? leaking seals?
On my turbo the shaft was broken and so oil could enter the compressor housing, so oil was transported through the intake and then burnt out through the combustion chamber which ended in the whole street wrapped in a nice blue cloud.:popcorn:
I think there was quite a lot of play on the shafts and this was allowing oil to pass through the turbo. Had a similar thing with the Focus RS - loads of white smoke!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks alot for all the responses guys!
Really appreciate it.

It turns out, at the end of the engine, near the windscreen, theres a hose that goes from the right to the left side of the engine and then open out called a blow-by apparently.

So last week when i was cleaning the engine bay, i noticed a rubber plug on the right side of the engine and i noticed the right side exit of the blow-by wasnt plugged in.

So i plugged up the hole and voila came the white smoke.

So now my mech installed a oil catch can and a hose comes out from the right side of the blowby into the oil catch can and out of the oil catch can comes another hose which just faces the floor but so far no oil has come out of it. Is that right at all?

Thanks alot for the responses in advance guys. Really appreciate it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
andreasgtr: Yup. Thanks for all the help.

Is it correct is the right side of the blowby goes into the oil catch can and then out of the oil catch can comes another hose aimed at the floor?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Well normally oil should not be releaved onto the floor due to environmental issues ;)

And I only know setups with both blow by´s connected to the oil catch tank

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
andreasgtr: Yea it seems kinda odd to have one hose facing the floor but its a good thing that theres no oil coming out of it.

The hose is still perfectly dry..

The thing is, we have no found out that the blow-off valve is spurting out oil..

The mech says that previously, there was abit of oil in the system and that is just the remnants and in abit, it will stop.

A friend of mine insists that it is probably the turbo oil seals that are gone..

Which one is it?

Thanks again

·
Registered
264 Posts
If there is no connection between the crankcase ventialion and te air intake tube then the only place the oil could come from is the turbo,
So to test this you should have the crank case ventilation vented to the open atmosfere, ( I tought you allready did this) and if the oil continious to blow out of the blow off valve there's a problem with your turbo's.

This could be worn out seals, or a blocked oil return pipe.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
andreasgtr: Yea it seems kinda odd to have one hose facing the floor but its a good thing that theres no oil coming out of it.

The hose is still perfectly dry..

The thing is, we have no found out that the blow-off valve is spurting out oil..

The mech says that previously, there was abit of oil in the system and that is just the remnants and in abit, it will stop.

A friend of mine insists that it is probably the turbo oil seals that are gone..

Which one is it?

Thanks again
I would remove the pipe with the dump valve in and clean it out. You will need to empty the catch tank from time to time, if not oil will overflow down vent tube that faces the road.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the suggestions guys but pardon my ignorance when i ask, what is the pipe with the dump valve and how should i go about cleaning it out?

And which is the crankcase ventilation? And how do i know if its a blocked oil return pipe?

Thanks once again!

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
ah ****. now *my* car is doing the exact same thing - coming off of hard boost (1bar on stock turbos and injectors), I get a firecracker pop and about 5-10 seconds worth of white smoke.

I don't have an oil catch can, and although I know that they connect to the breather hoses on top, I never really understood the point (or, where that excess oil goes if you don't have an oil catch can). I imagine the pop is coming from running rich and having plenty of unburnt fuel in the exhaust suddenly combusting. My PFC numbers from my last smoky event: boost - 1.03bar, inj duty - 98.7%, knock - 28, rpm - 7880.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts