GTR Forum banner

white smoke. fuel smell!!!!!!!! advice folks plz

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  dwood 
#1 ·
as the title says folks but..
there is white smoke but not heavy and smells rich.
mind you it has only been the second time that she has been started since the full shell rebuild. she was started yesterday for the first time. so the water and coolant had to be bled through the system again , brakes had to be bled etc etc.
the dash is not on yet , which means everything on dash is not connected.
doors or glass or lights not in either
just wondered if this would make some difference(the dash components not being connected).

started her today and she still smoking white and rich . but as says not like really heavy white smoke that you cannot see.
any advice anyone.
i am sure everything in engine bay is connected properly.

she was not like this before when all the parts where on the other shell.

kind regards
dwood

See less See more
#3 ·
Does it only do it when its first started and then clear up or does it do it when warm ? Does it do it under load ? Is it not because its cold ? sounds possibly like head gasket or condensation/water in cylinders, how long has it been sat for ?

Daz.

#4 ·
thanks for the advice daz.
the engine has not been used for 9 months.
there does not seem to be any milky residue in the oil or on the dipstick.
the rad does not seem to be under preasure once water bled through the system.
just really strong on start up and white smoke but not heavy.
it may be as you said ,moisture in the engine.
i will do a compression test on all 6 cylinders and do an ecu fault test but do not know if that will work very well as there is no dash or nothing connected from the dash to the loom,not only that the ecu might pull up lots of faults as the whole car was completly stripped to a bare shell.
THANKS FOLKS.

#6 ·
R32s don't have teh exhaust temp sensor; do you mean the 'cat on fire' one? Whatever, not important. :D

White smoke suggests steam; does it hang around or disappear in the air? Does it still do it when warmed up? If it's running when cold it runs richer anyway (sort of 'choke' setting, if you're old enough to remember them).

Black smoke is generally unburnt fuel.

#9 ·
thanks folks.
fuel lines and filter have all been changed,
think it is just condensation.
and ru. choke setting, oh they were the days.

ONE MORE THING
i have a oil cooler on the front , does it matter which way the pipes connet to it.
i think not

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.