GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed my beast is producing a nice big clouad of white smoke when I draw away in first. No smoke if I sit and rev or at other times....is this a cyclinder head gasket problem?

Hope not!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
smokey joe

Hi Stu,

I'd get the turbo checked out, white smoke can be caused by oil getting into the induction loop through a fault in your turbo.

Could be the head gasket, what colour is your engine oil ? if the head gasket is shot the chances are your engine oil will look like mayonaise.

I'd avoid giving it too much stick until you know what the problem is......:(

HTH

Steve

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Smokey Stu

HI Stu
I had the same with my Porsche many years ago
Get it checked asap
With me,just like Steve says it was the oil seals in the turbo
I left it for a while and it only got progressively worst:eek:
Hope this helps

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hiya,

Few months back my R34 would also occasionally puff smoke and it was not just when I accelerated. Maybe every few minutes it would smoke then clear up. A few days later I upgraded the Turbo’s and the problem disappeared.

/Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Smokey Stu

First of all...sorry to mess up the forum Joss. Got home and couldn't remember my username or password! Yip I'm officially a retard....must have been the stress of waiting for teh AA to take me the 20 miles to my house...5 hours wasn't bad...if I'd been walking.

So guys, the good news is your diagnosis was right, it was indeed the turbo. The bad news is that 3 miles out of work on the way home to a relaxing week-end the turbo blew big time (nice dramatic smoke effects!!). Needless to say i won't be skylining for a while. Car is sitting on the Nissan forecourt. Just hope its only a turbo rebiuld/replacement and not a complete engine rebiuld.....

...watch this space.

Car-less in Bucks

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Turbo

Sorry to here of your mishap
Perhaps the Great Skyline in the Sky has decided its your turn for an upgrade
Is it about time you gave a nice home to one of lost and lonely big jobs ;)

Just a thought

Best regards :D :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Smokey Stu - Embarassed & Stupid!

Alan,

I tried taht one with the wife but it would appear I'll have to wait a year before the GTr graces my drive.

Anyway, just got back of holiday and...the turbo is fine but is about to gett a rebiuld just in case. Number 4 cycliner gave up the ghost and Nissan have decided it would be cheaper to replace rather than rebiuld. So I either bin teh car and lose out on £7,000 or pay £4000 and replace the engine..hmmm. Thinking about replacing teh engine and running for another 6-12 months before I sell and upgrade. Any reasons why I shouldn't? Anyone else out there tried this and had a nightmare?

Cheers:smokin:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Engine cost

£4K for an RB25DET, you gotta be kidding me. You could probably source a used RB25DET from a breakers for around £1.5K. Let me know if you want to go down this route as I could probably put you in touch with the right people. I have recently seen an banged up R34 GT-T at an East London breakers which would provide a good engine.

Talat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Engine

Talat,

Cheers once again for the info and help. I'm getting a quote from Nissan on Tuesday so will be in contact once my heart rate has returned to normal....

Can't belive how much I miss driving the beast, as the old adage goes.. don't appreciate something fully until you no longer have it..oh well shit happens.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Just though I should update everyone. I can go one better than Henry with his 5 Cyclinder Skyline:D :D . It would appear that I blew cyclinders 1 to 5:D :D :D .

Gary at GT-aRT has a 'plan' to get my car back on the road, obviously it will entail a car with all six cylinders and a wee bit more power....I suggest people but some HKS shares;) .

All this gumph you hear from import agents about how well Japenese cars are looked after compared to our cars is shite:( so be warned.

I'll keep you posted!!:smokin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts