GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A funny thing happened to me today and I though I'd share it with you.
I am building an RB26 engine and I require a number of new part. These include piston rings.
I rang a reputable tuning/parts shop up north and had a long discussion reference bearing, the pros and cons of various clearance theories etc.
Anyway, it soon became apparent that Nissan piston rings were going to be a week away so I thanked Steve for his help and said I'd get back to him if I could not source rings else where in the time I require.

There are a number of sets of standard RB26 piston ring sets on eBay. After carefully reading the adverts it soon became apparent that someone does not know the thickness of piston rings and are selling rings of the incorrect thickness but labelled as standard and suitable for all RB26DETT pistons.
I have 2 sets of standard RB26 pistons so I measured the thickness of the ring, the width of the groove and the recommended clearance, just to confirm my thoughts. I then pickup up the phone and contacted one of the companies advertising these rings of the incorrect thickness on eBay. I spoke to a nice chap and I asked him about the rings thickness of the rings and why I thought they were wrong. He assured me that the rings for sale were of the correct thickness. He went on to say that they had supplied rings of this thickness for years and had, in fact, just built and engine using them. He said he would go and measure the ring thickness just to make sure the advert reflected the actual size of the rings.
5 mins later he called me back and said that indeed the rings they had supplied for some time were in fact the incorrect thickness and that the engine they had just built had to be taken apart and correct thickness rings fitted.

The moral of the story, check everything including 'experts' recommendations.

Needless to say, the garage is currently looking for a new ring supplier...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Now that is a SCARY thought***8230;
But then I have seen it again and again***8230;
To find someone you trust mean finding a mechanic / shop who care about your car as much if not more than you***8230; and I find that is in short supply at the moment.

There are only a few garage in the UK that I can hand on heart said I will leave my car with because I know the person working on the car is even more picky then I am.

Jerrick

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
It is always the case in this game, people are out to make as much money as possible and sadly quality and service suffers, they want to churn over customer fast. I trust no one!

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Money was not the motive, just an assumption that what they sold was the correct spec.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
LOL, who would trust a monkey form Flea Bay anyway !!!!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
That's the problem Andy. We are far too trusting that what we are 'told' is true, because these people are supposed to be 'Experts' relative, especially, to us.

We have done Projects where suppliers when challenged on an aspect have insisted that "X" is the case, on basis they are Experts and "know" so what they say is "true". I call it a papal infallibility moment (apologies Catholics).

Even when presented with facts, and therefore evidence, that what they where saying was bu11shit, still stuck to their claims and suggesting we did not actually know what we where talking about because they where the Experts.

Consequently technically taking them apart, some accept and resolve, others still insist in the face of overwhelming evidence that 'they' are right and 'we' are wrong. Why? Because it will cost them money they don't wish to spend. In fact we have had people knowingly present substandard product yet still repeatdly insist all is "OK".

I'm afraid there are people out there were only the money matters.

To the credit of whoever you where dealing with, they were actually prepared to listen and check your claim. Having confirmed, were also prepared to address the issue.

We have dealt with people who adopted total denial, and proposed that we pay to resolve their issue! Needless to say, those people are not people we subsequently choose to do business with.

Sadly the world provides refuge to too many conpeople, completely bereft of professionalism and morals, who are more than happy to separate you from your money as fast and to the maximum they can.

Caveat emptor.

DaveG

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
You are right in many regards Dave, the world is changing, people in general have no values no integrity and it is all about satisfying their greed and hunger to make money.

Decent honest bloke telling you how it is and not after screwing you over is very hard to find.

Just to give you an example, I had work done on my racecar by the place that were storing it, I know I got screwed over instead of 2 days work I got charged 3 days. No way in hell would the work have taken 3 days, just not possible. The person in question would probably jump into the Thames if he saw a £10 note floating around. Needless to say I got my car out of there and went alone. I was once offered my own fuel for sale which was siphoned out of the car can you believe that?

As for R32 combats situation, I always take advice with a pinch of salt, do you home work, check manufacturers part number double check everything. Sometimes we are at the mercy of so called experts but there is no harm in challenging them and doing your own homework if you doubt them.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Credit to the guy i spoke to after i pointed out the error. He totally took in on board.

I was also told the ACL have gone out of business? There are the guys suppling the shop the wrong thickness rings.

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
There are only a few garage in the UK that I can hand on heart said I will leave my car with because I know the person working on the car is even more picky then I am.

Jerrick
I'd drink to that :thumbsup:
I can name a few places that shouldn't be trusted ...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Credit to the guy i spoke to after i pointed out the error. He totally took in on board.

I was also told the ACL have gone out of business? There are the guys suppling the shop the wrong thickness rings.
So anything wrong with the bearings? I think most people's rebuilt cars have their bearing in them.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
So anything wrong with the bearings? I think most people's rebuilt cars have their bearing in them.
The product is fine, the business has had problems due to most of it's product being exported and the $AUD being at an all time high.

Also being in a manufacturing supporting industry for the automotive sector which is all but dead here in Oz doesn't help either.

That said I find anywhere that ACL has definitively wrapped up (yet).
sale_of_acl

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I suspect nothing because people plastgauge bearings so any dimensional issues would be identified.

I prefer nissan bearings though. You have a better chance at getting the correct clearances with graded shells.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts