GTR Forum banner

Who has done Silverstone?

2K views 61 replies 17 participants last post by  Roadrunnerrs2 
#1 ·
Finally managed to get on Silverstone yesterday. Amazing circuit well worth the drive. First time out on track since loads of upgrades and there are a number of areas that need attention right away, mostly around the syvecs. Had a great day but only had a couple of dry laps.

Great to meet Tin there too which was a surprise.

What sort of speed should I be looking at as I hit the bridge on hanger as a rule?

#3 ·
It was one of the messiest track sessions Iv'e had in ages, Off line, on line, early brake, late brake.... just no fun really. A lot of the issue stemmed from the Syvecs map not being linear. I had changed it the other week and loved it but had to roll back. Exiting corners was nye on impossible with this map. I usually drive VDC off but on a wet greasy day as a first timer I decided not to. Wish I had now though as I was just in a fight with the car the whole time.

Can't believe the BP 102 fuel is £3.02 a liter! 3 tanks later......

#8 ·
It was a Total garage, but with the switch it became a Shell last year.
So has a supply of V Power 99 RON. :)

You see quite a few of the track people (including a lot of the GT-Rs which rapidly seem to run low...) popping up there during the day.

#7 ·
Expect around 150mph at the end of Hanger straight with a bog standard 09 car. Depends how quickly you exit the complex and how late you brake...

Silverstone is one of the safest tracks for runoff Maggotts / becketts and chapel is quite challenging to get right. The track grip level also varies considerably especially when damp. Have chucked mine off at Vale and Aintree.

#12 ·
Thanks for that Richard. Ive been sat here viewing a lot of GTR videos at silverstone. Trouble was I'd spent the morning in an Atom then hopped into the GTR expecting the same cornering ability on the MPSS! DOH! Overall I'm a bit happier with my first attempt now after reviewing a few videos. Certainly wont be setting any records in the wet!

#17 ·
I changed it to 100% linear and it was lovely but it tripped the syvecs Knock control straight away as the ignition maps are linked to TPS so it needs a full re-setup again and havn't had a dry day to get it all done. The flyby wire is linear. It's just time......

#21 ·
600 road miles and they had come in full power at about 400. I was very shallow on the brakes and only did 2 laps back to back before 1/2 lap of cool down. It was so wet yesterday even if I was on full brake they wouldn't be over heating, but I was nowhere near the capacity.

I need to update the CCX thread with my run in procedure as it seems to have worked quite well.

#24 ·
Hey Vernon

Fancy coming to play at Castle Comb on the 1st March + anyone else of course ?

#32 ·
Good meeting you Vernon yesterday.

I had my vbox sport hooked up yesterday and best time I got was 2:49, after it had dried out alittle, still got tons of improvement to make, but am putting into action what Jake has taught last time round (gtroc day), and it makes all the difference.

For comparison, fastest laptimes has a gtr at no3 spot for silverstone. clicky

#33 ·
Learning every time I go out......long way to go as well....just checked the vbox for that 2:23 lap..VMAX was 149mph....lap distance 5806 meters compared to 5133 meters for track in 2008.....i know a couple of people doing under 2:20 in GTRs in the dry....so room for improvement...As Paul said takes a good while to even get to know the track....dam fun trying to go faster thou....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.