GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'd like to know too. I am doing a hp downgrade from a t88, but I would like to hit 650hp at 1.6 bar on a 2.7 (with supporting mods of course). And where the yeck can you get one for the best price ?? Japan ?? US ??:runaway:

·
Registered
832 Posts
But is the HKS T51R Kai any better for lag then the t88 ?? My car hits 650hp at 1.6 bar, and 800hp at 2.1 bar....I never use high boost, so I want the detune to closely match my Low boost hp, but get rid of some lag.... I thought the TO4Z with somewhere around .89 a/r turbine housing would fit the bill. Now I'm checking into the garrett GT4088R as a cheaper option, but that sucker still sets me back $2400 canadian if I buy locally...:eek:
The t88 isn't all bad, as she'll boost .5 bar by 4000rpm, and is in pretty much full flight by 5000rpm. But first and second gear downright suck !!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kai b.b spools quicker that T88 for sure....I'd say the T88 is equal to the non-b.b larger SPL in terms of spool.

So anyone interested?

·
Registered
393 Posts
HKS all the Way

HKS T04Z is an awesome turbo. I have used the Garrett equivelant and have found that it lacks the top end power of the HKS turbo.

I think that the T04Z is one of the best all round turbos for the RB26 and RB28.

On a 2.6 it will boost up to 1.6 bar at 4700 rpms.

On a 2.8 it will boost up to 1.6 bar at 4200 rpms.

It is a perfect turbo for track use and can also run a 9 second 1/4.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Maximum output

I have seen some conflicting information regarding maximum output of these turbos. Am I correct in thinking that they max out at about 700bhp? The reason I ask is that I am running a HKS stroked 2.8 with T88 33D turbo which is quite laggy and am considering a T04Z to give me a more responsive motor :chuckle: :chuckle:

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
I think it's the T04R which is rated at 700BHP max?
Although the HKS website had them both listed as 700BHP max when I was looking.
I'm sure someone will post the correct figures.

Didn't Tim's and Barries produce over 700BHP?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Im just taking my HKS TO4Z kit off my motor at the moment, its getting replaced with the T51R KAI. Lag isnt such an issue with a rotor motor.

·
Registered
393 Posts
T04Z will do well over 700bhp. On a 2.6 with Tomei cams it made 660 whp rwd on our dynapack. On a 2.8 with the same cams it made 650 whp rwd and 630 lbs of torque. The cams timing is tuned for max response on the 2.8 so the top end is not the best. I will see if i can stick up a few graphs of the 2 engines. Both sets of figures are on 95 ron unleaded with no aditive. I have figures on sunoco GT+ but i feel they are not realy applicable here as the fuel is mega expensive.

Robbie

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
But your guys are right I have yet to see a T04Z make high 600's

so far max i've done 722whp max on my T51R Kai B.b with step 1 cam's.

HKS did 900bhp with 290/280 cams on a 2.6L at 28 psi with a T51R Kai b.bI

If you want 700+whp this is the turbo for you.

I have made the decision to decate my car to time attack now so that is why I am searching for a T04Z.

Looking for a touch more responce and to tone the power down to 600whp.

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
That HKS 900ps T51R graph on their website is a bit fishy. As are some of their other graphs if you overlay them.

T51R appears to start boosting hard at 3000ps - looks like it was drawn on an etcha-sketch

T04Z one for BNR32 272 cams, 87mm bore, std stroke looks a bit more realistic.

Overlay

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
Oops left the units off the graph - ps on the left, rpm across the bottom. T04R torque in Nm. All info from HKS japan website.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts