GTR Forum banner

Whos running a BOV with their single turbo

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  D-Ranged 
#1 ·
I have a Precsion Turbo 6266 dual ball bearing with anti surge housing and am currently running without a BOV.

I was just wondering who is running a BOV with their single turbo setup?

Do you think its needed with a single turbo??

If i was to fit one, where would the best place be? I have HKS intercooler pipe work so cant fit it in the standard place and have all the recirc stuff removed.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I have fitted a turbosmart raceport BOV in preparation for the fitment of a GT4094. I have placed mine on the pipe immediately AFTER the intercooler.

The subject of whether BOV's are NEEDED is one of contention and one you wont get a clear answer to. I get the reasoning behind having one and have changed my views on having one.

TT
I was thinking of running without one but am debating it now.

Did you get a custom pipe made up for it?

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Mine is built into the Borg Warner EFR Turbo, even if it didn't have one, I would have one in the pipe leading to the the plenum.
I think that's what i'm going to do. Not worth lowering the life of the turbo although i really dont like the sound of BOV's much.

Anyone got any opinions on what ones to go for?

Discussion starter · #7 ·
The idea is to put the BOV as near to the plenum as possible. This keeps escaping air in the system for longer and moving towards the plenum, but not entering.

Actually the best way to keep air moving around the system, but not entering, is to recirculate it. Adds a bit of messy piping though.
I'm going to get some pipe made up to replace the HKS ones so I can attach a bov to that on the drivers side intercooler pipe.

Discussion starter · #16 ·
Run a greddy type 'R' set at 1.2bar with HKS to4z.

Funny that, was talking to a rx7 owner the other day about this subject who was insistent they're not needed if the single turbo has got a anti-surge housing...:confused:
I did read about the anti surge housing and what it did, it does not protect it from air getting rammed into the compressor when coming off boost, i think it does stop certain amounts of air from going back into it on part throttle though (if i remember rightly, could be wrong!).

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Raceport is a cracking bit of kit. You wont go far wrong with that!!!!

TT
Good to hear. I saw a video of a big power supra with a large BOV over the weekend giving it some and it did sounds insane when it dumped. Not normally a fan of BOVS but when youve got a big single and a nice exhaust they kind of finish it off i think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.