GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in mental turmoil. I’ve now had my brand new GTR for two months, and despite fitting some sexy Advan wheels and fitting a Russ Fellows exhaust, it’s not getting under my skin. Unless I’m going all out at full pelt, it leaves me cold. What I don’t understand is why?? It’s great to look at, great steering and quick turn-in, excellent brakes, fantastic handling, and incredible acceleration – it should tick all the boxes and be the best car that I’ve ever owned, but it’s leaving me unsatisfied like there’s something missing. I’ve heard the word INVOLVEMENT so much in automotive journalism, and believed it to be a fluffy way to describe cars that journos use, but perhaps that is in fact what the car is missing? My previous car which I had for 3 yrs was a 6.2L normally aspirated HSV Clubsport, and despite being a big of a barge, it was still engaging and fun to drive, with loads of character. I sold it because I wanted something more focused, but although I’ve got the focus, I now have a car that doesn’t feel special or engaging unless I’m driving at warp speed.

Do I need to see a doctor? Thoughts?

Mart.

·
Registered
174 Posts
as per my thread yesterday - http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/210945-gtr-too-fast.html

feel very much the same, you just described it a little better, no you most definitely need a doctor, everyone is allowed their own perspective although people on here may well tell you their opinion on your feelings rather than share their own experience or not of what your describing..typical of forums im afraid.

I agree pretty much if i am honest and nothing more i can say, most people saying get another car, drive it sometimes, take it to the track, get some training in it..those are all the solutions :) it definitely puts a big smile on my face, followed by a feeling of OH ****! how fast!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I agree completely.. when I first got my GTR almost 5 months ago, I loved the car but despite that it left me quiet unsatisfied :/.. As if something was missing, just didnt feel right..

After getting stage 1 I took back all my criticism :D it just brought the car to life and added all that character that the stock car lacks :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
I agree completely.. when I first got my GTR almost 5 months ago, I loved the car but despite that it left me quiet unsatisfied :/.. As if something was missing, just didnt feel right..

After getting stage 1 I took back all my criticism :D it just brought the car to life and added all that character that the stock car lacks :)

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
My friend loves my gtr but has always said, when he can afford to, he will buy a 997 turbo. He just said the GTR is too much of a computer and lacks feel

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Maybe I should change it to

Tried turning the traction off, it is fun then, briefly!
I tried it once (on a below freezing, wet evening) and swore never to do it again! Scared the hell out of the passenger....... and myself!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Quick poll though how many use "R" mode in the wet?

I went for a run with the MLR Sunday and it was quite wet and even in "R" I couldn't feel the traction unless going downhill and it was quite broadside :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
lol, I used R mode in the wet when I had my dunlops on.. had one the most terrifying experiences in my life! :p

·
Registered
174 Posts
also used r mode in damp the other day thats when i had my arse twitching life flashing before me moment came home and kissed my little girl :) lol

·
Registered
462 Posts
Nissan

You have to look no further than Lexus Nissan and Honda, all have built fantastic, perfectly safe reliable BORING cars.Its like owning a Harley or a Ducati, its a love affair, the Harleys slow, antiquated but people love them.Ive owned Jap bikes, yes they are perfect, my Ducati and KTM arnt but when I ride them they involve me, no electronics just skill.I bought an Atom thinking Ill use it on the road and a couple track days. 4 miles on the road 10 track days later, now I have a Radical.When I track the Radical it just puts me in another place.The Nissan is Japanese perfect, but give me a cramped Lambo, with no view any day(if I could afford one). When you put it in the garage do you look forward to the next drive.Its a great car,but give me a flawed Italian car any day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The more i drive the 35 the more i get what its about, it does everything so well that you find you have to push on way beyond what is legal. My car is currently stock and i have kept it this way while i get a feel for it, once i have done this the plan is to go through the different upgrades so i can compare all levels and give honest informed opinions to my customers. I did go for a spirited drive across the Cat & Fiddle a couple of months ago with the traction in "R" mode and came away very suprised just how involved it got powering out of the tighter corners. The other side of the coin is with traction turned off the car becomes the complete opposite 99% of the time interms of using the power it has on the road.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The more i drive the 35 the more i get what its about, it does everything so well that you find you have to push on way beyond what is legal. My car is currently stock and i have kept it this way while i get a feel for it, once i have done this the plan is to go through the different upgrades so i can compare all levels and give honest informed opinions to my customers. I did go for a spirited drive across the Cat & Fiddle a couple of months ago with the traction in "R" mode and came away very suprised just how involved it got powering out of the tighter corners. The other side of the coin is with traction turned off the car becomes the complete opposite 99% of the time interms of using the power it has on the road.
Now I didn't know you had bought one, what spec?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
My friend loves my gtr but has always said, when he can afford to, he will buy a 997 turbo. He just said the GTR is too much of a computer and lacks feel
^ has he driven a 911 turbo? Read the latest CAR mag too for a comparo of GTR vs a 991 Turbo...especially their comment on involvement.

The GTR involves plenty when on the right roads / blasting

1 - 20 of 109 Posts