GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could i ask owners that have done this, exactly why did you sell your GT-R ?, regards, SIMON.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Think (being a bit judgmental) that there will be 4 different types of answers:
1) People who were hit by economic situation
2) People who decide to get out still being able to get a reasonable price, fearing the worst for future residuals
3) People who have totally understated the cost of running and maintaining a GTR
4) People who didn't like the way the car drove.

Last group started a few threads on this already, so easy to find their reasons. I totally understand the drive/comfort is not to everybody's liking and totally respect people who went for a more involving or more comfortable ride.

However, (a bit harsh I know) I have the feeling that a decent percentage of group 4 actually belong in groups 1 till 3 but find it cooler to belong in group 4.

Ok guys, shoot!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Think (being a bit judgmental) that there will be 4 different types of answers:
1) People who were hit by economic situation
2) People who decide to get out still being able to get a reasonable price, fearing the worst for future residuals
3) People who have totally understated the cost of running and maintaining a GTR
4) People who didn't like the way the car drove.

Last group started a few threads on this already, so easy to find their reasons. I totally understand the drive/comfort is not to everybody's liking and totally respect people who went for a more involving or more comfortable ride.

However, (a bit harsh I know) I have the feeling that a decent percentage of group 4 actually belong in groups 1 till 3 but find it cooler to belong in group 4.

Ok guys, shoot!
Well said :thumbsup:

·
Registered
376 Posts
What are the true costs of running one?
Probably best not to think about that too much, it'll give you bad dreams ;)

It drinks fuel
It like expensive tyres
It needs servicing often (especially if like me yours is going to cover 15k+ miles a year)
It needs its 'juices' changed if it gets too hot - and thats not just tracking it, mine got near 110 (engine oil) in a traffic jam yesterday!

Get past all that and you'll find yourself at the wheel of an absolute weapon :thumbsup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello, I sold my Gtr for a few reasons
1) Got completely pissed off with all the warranty issues/rumours. i Know that alot of it was scare mongering but when you read the warranty booklet it is very off putting, like who puts a button on a car and does't allow you too use it!!
2) Sold my car back to dealer for reasonable money. had it for five months and still got over 50K for it. (could have got more private but could't be bothered with the hassle) I personally believe that in 3years time my car would have been worth between 30K and 35K tops and with all the warrenty issues and the expense of parts buyers in that market might be scared to buy so maybee even less money . (just my opinion)
3) Bought a 997gt3 and love it, its just a different type of car and suits me better.
The gtr was a fantastic car to drive and i liked it too, from A TO B there's nothing quicker but i just missed the porker. just my two cents!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I started to get annoyed with the poor service from Nissan, such as only allowing one driver at Silverstone, and then I realised that with the money that I had in the bank for the GT-R plus trading in my SLK I could buy a 5L Jaguar XK Convertible which may not be as fast but is a beautiful car to drive plus it has metallic black paint (unlike the Kuro Black that I had ordered), front and back parking sensors, DAB radio, full compatibility with my HTC phone and a top that lowers. I had originally intended to race the GT-R as I did with my R33 but soon realised that it would be impractical with all the warranty problems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well i'm glad you brought this subject up. I sold my dmg non nav GTR and replaced it with a dmg sat nav model! Some people thought i was a bit mad for changing cars "just for sat nav" but after weighing up the pros and cons i think i've made the right decision. It would be interesting to know if others have done the same thing.

·
Registered
968 Posts
A satnav car would have been for me 2010 delivery. I now have a very good satnav system retrofitted on OEM screen so happy I didn't change my order, let be trade in. Can't be bothered very much with ipod connectivity as hardly listen to anything else but the engine and think that anybody watching DVDs in a car is an idiot (bar the kids in the back). So I'm very happy with my choice to stick to non satnav.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had originally intended to race the GT-R as I did with my R33 but soon realised that it would be impractical with all the warranty problems.
:D race....warranty......sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious but these two words don't normally go together....

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I started to get annoyed with the poor service from Nissan, such as only allowing one driver at Silverstone, and then I realised that with the money that I had in the bank for the GT-R plus trading in my SLK I could buy a 5L Jaguar XK Convertible which may not be as fast but is a beautiful car to drive plus it has metallic black paint (unlike the Kuro Black that I had ordered), front and back parking sensors, DAB radio, full compatibility with my HTC phone and a top that lowers. I had originally intended to race the GT-R as I did with my R33 but soon realised that it would be impractical with all the warranty problems.
Funny how you would buy/order a GTR then replace it with an XK - two completly different cars! Also, could you clarify what the Silverstone issue was? Your other reasons offer a fascinating insight into folk that might buy the new GTR. Would you consider racing your XK?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I sold mine for warranty problems, lack of use (I do very little mileage), and taking a big hit, not that I could'nt afford to, more to point I didnt want to, also the seats were crap

·
Registered
968 Posts
1 thing I totally do not understand is the guys who sold theirs being unhappy with their GTR but still regularly visit here to slash the car? You miss the car or us????:D

·
Registered
765 Posts
I sold mine for warranty problems, lack of use (I do very little mileage), and taking a big hit, not that I could'nt afford to, more to point I didnt want to, also the seats were crap
Your still at it then :blahblah:

I'd love to hear the car your buying that depreciates less than a GT-R.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
The funny thing with all these depreciation comments is that one of the reasons I sold my 997 GT2 was that is was pointless having a car I hardly drove (weekend/track car) that was going to shed the pounds over a 2 to 3 year period...I was lucky to have bought my GT2 well last year post Lehman and sell it in for only a small loss...however if I had kept if for a couple of years I was looking at £50-60k depreciation...and that was assuming low mileage...however for me I will drive the GTR most days (in place of RRS TDV8 which was similar price to GTR new but far more common and with worse residuals) and put many miles on the GTR and still lose far less than the GT2 would over the same period...as the GTR gets pricing for parts and service will get more competitive and therefore more reasonable for the owners.

For me the GTR is the best real world supercar at a fantastic price...for me doing only a handful of track days a year it is perfect, however if I was going to do more trackdays then I would add to my stable with a 997 GT3...a car I have owned but which is unsuitable for daily use unlike the GTR...a 997 Turbo is a great car, but will drop money very quickly...a well specced new 997 Turbo (Gen 2) equates to almost £120,000...having had a 997 Turbo (Gen 1) I know that it is not twice the car a GTR is...again proving what a bargain the GTR is...indeed the fact that it is compared to cars of higher prestige and cost is a massive compliment to Nissan.

Roll on Thursday when mine arrives!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't think a gtr by any new car terms is going to have bad residuals espically compared to a brand new 997turbo or 997gt2. But what about a 3year old 997turbo at 60k i would say their depreciation would be very similar if not worse for the GTR. In N. Ireland the dealer has sold 70 cars with about 40 or 50 Delivered for me thats quite alot and the more common they are the less value at a later date.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I know what your saying, I will back in a GTR when the prices and servicing level out, £30k it will be a stonking car :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
I don't think a gtr by any new car terms is going to have bad residuals espically compared to a brand new 997turbo or 997gt2. But what about a 3year old 997turbo at 60k i would say their depreciation would be very similar if not worse for the GTR. In N. Ireland the dealer has sold 70 cars with about 40 or 50 Delivered for me thats quite alot and the more common they are the less value at a later date.
Don't agree at all...I bought what at the time was a three year old 996 Turbo (in a market when there was less competition)...bought for £62k, sold for £45k a year later with only 10k miles done...a 997TT probably will fall quicker than a GTR if they both started at £60k...ie second hand 997TT and new GTR...people will in the majority go for the new car with the new tech rather than what at that money will be a three year old car that in order to be that price will be a bit leggy (I bought my 997TT at £84k and sold for £60k 9 months later!)

I think the GTR will have a softer depreciation curve than a Turbo

·
Registered
69 Posts
At road legal speed it’s not as refined as I had hoped.

Im still lurking here tomgtr because I have lived and breathed the R35 since ordering when the books opened, and keeping up to date on this forum is easing the pain of feeling like I have lost a limb….

It’s an amazing motor which will be dearly missed.

6 months immense fun, 0.9% depreciation, isn’t bad either!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts